xbox-scene.com archived forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

xbox-scene.com forum restored.  registration disabled.  thanks to xboxexpert for the db dump and netham45 for cleaning it up!

Author Topic: Whatever Happened To The Ps3's Keys Being Released, Etc?  (Read 73 times)

Clockface

Whatever Happened To The Ps3's Keys Being Released, Etc?
« on: January 28, 2013, 10:23:19 AM »

I've never bothered modding my PS3, but I was intrigued last year when the PS3's security keys (or whatever they are called) were hacked, as (from what I remember) people were claiming that this would allow any PS3 to run any homebrew with no need for any hardware modifications or firmware alteration. But I don't think I've heard anything about it since. Did it work out OK, and can we now run MAME and other emulators on the PS3 without needing a mod chip, and if so how (please post any relevant links)?

I've tried google, but have had no success, and I thought that this would be massive news when it was made to work, so maybe it turned out to be a hoax, or didn't work on all PS3s?

shambles1980

« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2013, 05:56:31 AM »

not a ps3 guy.
but im pretty sure that basically it went like this.

If you already had a modifed console "firmware modified"
you could not update your console as the new firmware would ruin things..
the hacked key meant that they could edit any new firmware so it wont ruin things.
you could then download this modified firmware, and update your modified console with a new firmware revision which did not ruin your mod.

thats in lay mans terms, but im pretty sure thats all that it was.

Clockface

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2013, 05:38:00 AM »

OK, thanks.

Page created in 0.078 seconds with 16 queries.