xbox-scene.com archived forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

xbox-scene.com forum restored.  registration disabled.  thanks to xboxexpert for the db dump and netham45 for cleaning it up!

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Another Space Shuttle Lost  (Read 333 times)

gainpresence

Another Space Shuttle Lost
« Reply #45 on: February 04, 2003, 12:47:39 PM »

... And the Columbia was the strongest shuttle made, they didn't know exactly what pressures were going to be put on a spaceship at the time so they built it really strong. It may have been just an innocent mistake caused by fatigue (they had to rush to get it ready it time for the already delayed launch date). Or perhaps by pilot error.

Ace25

« Reply #46 on: February 04, 2003, 12:48:04 PM »

Jackass.. and come on, using a Challenger joke.. why dont you ask the one about how many fit in a VW Bug? Just as distastefull...

Errr, and pilot error? It was on Autopilot on the way down... computer was making more corrections than ever to keep it on coarse.. so I cant imagine pilot error was to cause, unless your blaming the computers... was it a MS OS they were running?

Edited by Ace25, 04 February 2003 - 09:49 PM.

gainpresence

« Reply #47 on: February 04, 2003, 12:49:35 PM »

By the way, my inside sources tell me that NASA (in my town) is working on a 3 billion dollar Anti-Gravity.. thingy... woohoo.

Ace25

« Reply #48 on: February 04, 2003, 12:55:45 PM »

3 billion huh? Damn.. actually, that is one thing I have been trying to figure out for years now.. to make an anti gravity device.. been facinated with the idea since getting "Boy's Life" when I was in the boy scouts and seeing the little hovercraft in the back of the magazine using a vaccuum cleaner motor to lift it off the ground.. nothing like antigravity, but that is what got me started.. Still so hard to even comprehend how you can counter the mass of the earth/gravity.. you need a much better power source than it available now, which we dont yet have, and if we did, size of it at first would be a limiting factor.. Cant wait till be are all like "Back to the Future" with cold fusion generators on our flying cars..  

gainpresence

« Reply #49 on: February 04, 2003, 12:59:31 PM »

I hear that some swedish guy claimed he could do it somehow (I forget the details), so the government gave NASA 3 bil to figure it out.. I'll see if I can find out more.

socrates

« Reply #50 on: February 04, 2003, 01:00:56 PM »

huh.gif puff puff give  laugh.gif  anti gravity machine would rock but a time machine would be better,........god the things i would do.......go back in time and invent hockey  wink.gif  

Dark Schneider

« Reply #51 on: February 04, 2003, 02:35:53 PM »

NASA not only reperesents the U.S. but the entire worlds endeavour to better itself through co-operation. Not sure where the whole thing started about the Canadians not contributing, but damnit...read up a bit on the construction of the shuttle and the agency itself and you will see how VERY contributing they were to the entire system.

As far as it goes with the people that say we should no longer bother with space travel, well we should...to get away from people like you! =)

I can't imagine anyone on this planet that has not looked to the skies and wondered "What would it be like?" It is built into our psyche, it is a predisposed plan that we are not yet aware of, but know we must accomplish. Can anyone here honestly without trolling for a response not say they have ever looked to the stars...and just wondered?

We as a people need to redouble our resolve, and push the envelope. Look at where we are now...terrorism, war with Iraq looming, North Korea rattling the cage saying "I double dog dare ya....". Look from where we are, and into the hearts of those that have seen what we could be. Those are the astronauts that gave their lives....for us.

As far as the budget, fuck the budget. The long term gains from "space tourism" and mineral exploration far outweigh any current costs. I agree the shuttles need to be put to pasture, they have done their job....made space travel look mundane and simple. We know that is not so now, and the plans in the books for the new flight systems should be given the go to proceed.

Funding? There are so many useless and wasteful ways that our taxes are used, it isn't funny. Kill off some of the programs that they pay out for people to get grants to find out whether or not they fart if they eat beans all day. Laugh...but they exist!

switzch

« Reply #52 on: February 04, 2003, 04:16:58 PM »

anti gravity would be the greatest thing ever... even if it made gravity at like 90% of orignal, it would kick ass.  And since gravity travels the same speed as light... we could be on track here for somthing super duper good.

i highly doubt nasa has 3b to figure it out. but who knows.

gainpresence

« Reply #53 on: February 04, 2003, 04:19:11 PM »

QUOTE (switzch @ Feb 4 2003, 07:16 PM)
anti gravity would be the greatest thing ever... even if it made gravity at like 90% of orignal, it would kick ass.  And since gravity travels the same speed as light... we could be on track here for somthing super duper good.

i highly doubt nasa has 3b to figure it out. but who knows.

I just report what I hear..

Actually, I saw on the local news that NASA got 3bil to work on antigrav. Apparently they say it'll greatly help in replacing hearts and such.. Medical stuff always gets the money.

Edited by gainpresence, 05 February 2003 - 01:19 AM.

vincent_y79

« Reply #54 on: February 04, 2003, 05:00:44 PM »

where else would the old and dying politicians push congress to put the budget to? Of course medical crap.

Edited by vincent_y79, 05 February 2003 - 02:01 AM.

Zerach

« Reply #55 on: February 06, 2003, 11:13:15 PM »

Theoretically Anti-gravity could become a reality in the next 2 decades.

We can make some reasonable assumptions about how gravity and anti-gravity works, we've got a planet that spins 1 rotation a day to create our gravity.  You can swing a bucket of water with little or no effort to create gravity.

This comparison shows that effort on a big object like the earth requires a huge amount of kenetic energy to create our gravity, but in relation a very simple bucket of water takes only a little elbow grease.

Now every action has an opposite reaction using the same amount of effort.  If this holds true creating anti-gravity for a spinning bucket becomes somewhat easy (stop the bucket from spinning what happens?).  I know stoping a bucket of water does not create anti-gravity.  But it's an opposite reaction which counter-acts or cancels out the gravitational pull of the spinning bucket.  

Gravity is caused by the earth spinning on it's axis while generating a magnetic field, put opposite ends of a magnet near each other; they jump away.  So in theory if you were to take opposite poles of a magnet and arrange it in to a star, take another set of magnets and create a star with oposite poles, arrange it like a cogg, what do you get when they spin?  Anti-Gravity, try to control this is very hard, it could cause serious trouble if you attempt this and not have a method to control it, you could create a giant telsa coil if you're not careful.

Now I know most of this sounds like bullshit, and I admit I do watch a lot of star trek, but what if I'm right?  What if I've got a theory that could solve the worlds energy shortage and create a new industry to power every aspect of our lives?  

Maybe I'm a dreamer, maybe I'm a inventor, or maybe just maybe I've taken you all on a tour of pure bullshit so believable, you've entered the Twighlight zone.

Welcome to my world. tongue.gif pop.gif

blackout_19

« Reply #56 on: February 07, 2003, 01:37:55 AM »

Gravity is caused by the earth spinning on it's axis while generating a magnetic field

Hmmm, i'm thinking not....

Gravity is caused by the mass of a body, not it's rotational speed. If that were true then as the earth slows down (as it is each year) then the gravity would be getting less (it's not).

And to M3_Del, that quote which was supposedly from marilyn manson, you were right. It's not his quote, it's by one Joseph Stalin.

froescheD

« Reply #57 on: February 07, 2003, 01:40:23 AM »

JESUS! what the hell are you talking about? Guess I have to go back to university for a couple of lessons! tongue.gif  

apu123

« Reply #58 on: February 07, 2003, 02:48:50 AM »

BEnjeremy, I apologise if i offended ya, but it just seems that from a outsider point of veiw, space exploration seems wasted at the moment. Maybe you should agree on its more of a image thing for the USA rather than a actual use. You landed on the moon, sent a robot to Mars which is great. But America know that one thing they tried so hard for and succeded was the moon race against russia, and you won it (apparently...darkside of the moon...good book recommend reading it). But now America can't let go of one of their proudest acheivements, rather let it carry on with no causes except lives and money. carry on paying ya takes if ya want, I don't care. YES, we have been losing the british empire, we care about that but we have some differences here, the UK can let go of something even if its damn important to us. We keep hard feeling. Forgive and forget. ANYWAY go ahead and copy and reply this thread as i know im gonna get feedback of how much bullshit i speak.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Page created in 0.176 seconds with 16 queries.