xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Intermittant Boot With Duox2 Lite On 1.6  (Read 1960 times)

gbob

• Archived User
Intermittant Boot With Duox2 Lite On 1.6
« on: February 22, 2008, 09:22:00 PM »

I really pulling my hair on this one.  I got a 1.6 and softmodded it first.  Worked just fine.  Then decided to chip it witha duox2 lite so I could easily put in a larger HDD and format it with slayer..  Everything soldered up just fine.  It booted, and I started to format the new drive.  All went well until the screen went blank.  I tried starting over and it fragged on me.  So I took it apart, inspected the solder joints on the rebuild pcb and they all lookd good.  Put it back together and it booted fine again (with the evox shield).  I looked like my previous atempt to format the drive worked so I installed avalaounch as my dash.  Worked great.  I turned it off and rebooted, fragged again.  Again I took it apart, even reflowed the solder while inspecting it under a microscope.  Then I read that in some cases the BT HAD to be connected.  In the last Duox2 cromwells I installed, I never hooked up the bt.  But I did just in case this was an anomonly ofr the Lite.  It booted just fine!  Now I'm a happy camper.  So I load XBMC update, and start using qwix to load a few games.  Whaddya know, screen goes black.
I try to reboot and get fragged.  So I go to the liquer store, get some cheap whiskey and some ginger ale, make a drink and come back and turn it on.  The dang thing boots fine!  Turn it off, back on, and frag.  Once in a great while pushing the BT button will get it to try to boot with the MS dash, but rarely, and funny thing is that it take a lot of attempts for it to eject the media disk.  Any suggestions (besides giving up on modding :-) are welcome.
One last set of observations before I hit the send button.
on power on I get the three green single flashes then FRAG
If I power up withtheBT  I get what appears to be one set of three quick green  then four quick green flashes, then five quick green flashes followed immediatley by a FRAG.

Thanks,
-Bob

gbob

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2008, 07:58:00 PM »

I'm passing the mobo on to a certified solderer I know to inspect it.
But I would really like to know if anyone has any thoughts on this problem.
(I was a certified solderer 10 years ago, but my eyesight ain't what it used to be)

TIA for any input.
-Bob

Chancer

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2008, 02:42:00 AM »

The problem is almost certain to be the soldering to the LPC. It is very common when using the rebuild board.

gbob

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2008, 04:40:00 PM »

I got the board back today.  My friend resoldered the connections under a microscope to make sure they were all good.
I put it together, fired it up and it booted from the slayer disk that was still in the drive.
I took out the disk and rebooted again.  No problem.  I figured I would give it some time to burn in
so I went and had dinner.  An hour later I came back.  I was able to FTP into it with no problem using
WSFTP.  Then I detected it with QWIX, found it no problem.  So I selected a few games I wanted to
put on the HDD with QWIX.  As soon as I hit upload, the screen on the tv went black.  I tired to reboot
and the same old thing again.
HELP!

gbob

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2008, 04:28:00 PM »

OK fianlly got it to boot again by unplugging, pressing buttons,plugging in...all random but it finally booted.
Rebooted with slayer and flashed it to M8plus.  All looked good.  I'm thnking maybe I had a corrupted flash initially.
WSFTP- OK    QWIX detect -OK
Soon as I hit upload on QUIX, the screen goes black and no control.  I hit the off button, and it just sat there
for 10-15 seconds then it shut off.  I was able to boot again after that.

I hope that the community will be able to help me through this.
Other info that may be helpful is it is running Kernel 1.0.5838.1
The hard drive I put in is a WDC  WD2000BB -22GUA0

Thanks again in advance for your help, especially Chancer, as I have reading a lot of your writings.
-Bob

Chancer

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2008, 09:58:00 AM »

Does booting with the chip off work without any issues?
 If it does then the problem is centred on the chip. You may need to try another chip to confirm there is not some problem with the chip.

gbob

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2008, 07:29:00 PM »

For the heck of it, I put the original HDD back in and got it to boot from slayer.
I un-soft-modded it and returned it to it's retail condition.
It boots fine (from bt) to retail and it boots fine with the duox on (shield on screen)
Grasping at straws, I am now formatting a 40G hdd to see how it reacts to that drive.
I never had a hdd incompatability before, but maybe this is the problem?  Again
I am shooting in the dark at this time.  As it has booted just fine in both modes with the
original retail hdd in it.
I will keep you posted, and again, your suggestions and input are highly valued.
-Bob

gbob

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2008, 07:35:00 PM »

Alrighty then, here's what happening.
I grabbed an old WD40G hdd.  I put it in the box and booted
with slayer.  I formatted the hdd, installed xbmc and apps and put avalunch on it.

Fired up Qwix, and successfully uploaded three games.
I rebooted, and it booted fine in mod mode.
So I booted with bt to retail mode and it started to boot
and then gave the service unit screen (as to be expected)
I booted again in mod mode and it boots just fine.

I'm gonna play a round a bit with it, and then look for a bigger hdd to install,
and see what happens.
I'll keep you posted.

-bob

Szamot83

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2008, 09:07:00 AM »

QUOTE(gbob @ Feb 29 2008, 04:11 AM) View Post

So I booted with bt to retail mode and it started to boot
and then gave the service unit screen (as to be expected)

You should lock your disk if you want, to boot in retail mode.
Try it.

Silent88

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2008, 09:18:00 AM »

What I did when I had problems with my DuoX2 GS is, started up the Xbox with the original hard drive in. With no SOFTMOD ON IT!!! FTPed the proper files for XboxHDM, made the bootable XboxHDM disk, and then built the new drive with that disk. Didn't bother to lock it, since I had the chip in. I put my disk in there, loaded up ConfigMagic (Created ISO of Config Magic with Qwix and the burnt it), locked the drive. turned the box off, used the BT to turn on, booted into MS dash, copied my Game Save. Ran the softmod installer, and ended my misery with my chip. I know you bought a chip so you wouldn't have a complicated install of a newer hard drive, but it seems as if it would be easier to do it this way, so you don't have to worry about it fragging all the time.

gbob

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: February 29, 2008, 09:52:00 PM »

Update:
I got from a friend an old Seagate 120G hdd.
Slapped it in the box and booted with slayer.
The drive formatted withno problem.
tried several cold boots with no problem.
Fired up Qwix and dumped a few games onto it withno problem.
My thoughts right now are that the WDC200G is not compatable
or the Duox2 LIte didn't like a G drive.  These are just guesses.
I'm ahppy to say I am up and running (so far).  Not happy that
I really haven't diagnosed the problem which makes this thread not too
usefull to the community, other than following my problems.

Thanks again to all that replied.  If things change I will add to the thread.
xbox-scene is truly a great place to learn and share!

-Bob

litspliff

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2008, 09:37:00 PM »

from my experience working with computers, one idea comes to mind.

this behaviour is similar to soft failure of a power supply in a PC (intermitten booting, etc.)

different HD's have different rates of power consumption, and you have to keep in mind that the only modular peripherals that the xbox PSU was designed to support are low draw 5V USB (the controller ports).

you may have a weak PSU being stretched to it's max.

it also sounds a lot like a 1.6 rebuild board error, but you seem to have well ruled that out.

a duo lite will have no problem with a 67 bios as long as it is 512KB, so you can rule that G drive business out.

(opinion) don't listen to that softmod nonsense. you're just going to need a modchip to fix when it fucks up down the road. something as simple as a dashboard update can make a softmod into a brick.