xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Static Spark Killed The Duox2?  (Read 263 times)

Thenolos

• Archived User
Static Spark Killed The Duox2?
« on: February 20, 2008, 01:48:00 PM »

Howdy,

I've had a DuoX2 GS (blue) installed in my box for almost a year now, and everything has been working just fine.  Yesterday I went to eject a disk and there was a (strong) spark of static electricity from my finger to the eject button.  (blame a fleece sweater and a dry house)

There was no immediate problem, but after I restarted the XBOX, I got an 05 error.  After reinstalling the original hard-drive, I've found that the XBOX still works as if the chip was not there.

Any suggestions for troubleshooting?  Did the static spark travel from the eject button to the BT and fry my chip?

Thanks for all the Help.

kirky1991

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2008, 02:10:00 PM »

Hi

Like you said! Sounds like it has traveled down the BT line and killed it, Unlucky,

Looks like you'll have to get another chip!

Chancer

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2008, 02:22:00 PM »

Error 5 is unlocked HDD. With the chip working this is ignored. Obviously at the moment the chip is not enabling. This is more likely that the D0 connection to the motherboard has popped off or come loose.
The static has not killed the chip. The eject button is plastic anyway.
Check the D0 and BT wires. D0 is my bet

This post has been edited by Chancer: Feb 20 2008, 10:23 PM

Thenolos

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2008, 02:35:00 PM »

Resoldered BT to pin 9 and checked the D0 point.  Hadn't come loose, but I resoldered it anyway.  No Effect.  Resoldered D0 yet again, no effect.  Diode on the board isn't lighting up when powered either.

Hmmm..

Thanks for the help, guys.

Chancer

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2008, 02:46:00 PM »

Solder D0 on the Xbox mobo to the ground. This forces boot from the LPC. If the box still boots error 5 or no vhip boot then the D0 is the problem

Thenolos

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2008, 07:21:00 PM »

Ok... Soldered Mobo DO to a ground.  XBOX doesn't boot--flashing red ring, thumping sound coming from the tv.  Is that what we call a frag?  Happens both with the chip in and out.

This post has been edited by Thenolos: Feb 21 2008, 03:27 AM

kirky1991

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2008, 08:52:00 PM »

flashing red is not a frag, A frag means 'Flashing red and green' isnt red either over heating or Eeprom ? i cannot remember!

the button is plastic, but what about the actual button behind it, there is some metal there, and it could make sense that it travled down the BT line ? not nessacarilly(Sp) killed it but done something

Thenolos

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2008, 09:22:00 PM »

Flashing red and green is what I meant.  

As for the spark, It opened the disk drive without me actually pressing the button all the way in, so I know it passed through the switch behind it.  It was quite a zap too... not your normal static tick.

OrisonSeven

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2008, 09:39:00 PM »

If the charge from the static made a large enough shock to trigger the eject without fully pressing the button then it bridged the gap that normally seperates making the button a button.

Are there any burn marks on the chip seen.

If no burn/discharge marks, id test the continuity of the different points on the chip to see if the charge burned out the internals of the chip.

Also, if you have another xbox to test it on, then try swaping the chip onto that box.

Thenolos

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2008, 11:13:00 PM »

It seems like an awfully big coincidence that the chip stopped working after the spark for it to have been a solder point coming loose, but there are no visible burn marks on the mod chip (or the power/eject or mobo for that matter).  I guess I should have soldered the BT to Pin 9 to begin with... perhaps I could have avoided this mess.

I will probably will not have access to a multimeter for a week or so, so it might be a bit before I can do that type of check.  I'm just glad the XBOX itself still works, If I have to spring for a new chip, I won't cry too hard.  Just trying to avoid it if at all possible.

Thanks again for all the help.

This post has been edited by Thenolos: Feb 21 2008, 07:22 AM