xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Xbit 1.0 Problem (dip Switch 4)  (Read 376 times)

Ecrofirt

• Archived User
Xbit 1.0 Problem (dip Switch 4)
« on: December 18, 2005, 06:14:00 PM »

Anyone have a problem like this? My friend is having a problem where his chip works fine if DIP switch 4 is down, but if he flips switch 4 up to play in stealth mode for Halo 2 on Live sometimes the Xbox works fine, and sometimes it FRAGs.

Recently, it's been FRAGging on him like every time he tries to go into stealth mode.

Anyone know what might be causing this? I don't think the chip is mis-aligned, because as I said, the chip turns on if switch 4 is down.

I haven't had a look at the box yet, but I'd like a heads up if this is some kind of known issue.

Silentscream__

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2005, 04:01:00 AM »

Check the pinned topics.

This post has been edited by Silentscream__: Dec 19 2005, 12:01 PM

Ecrofirt

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2005, 06:44:00 PM »

QUOTE(Silentscream__ @ Dec 19 2005, 05:32 AM) *

Check the pinned topics.

The thing is, this is definitely a 1.0 chip. I'd rather just use stealth mode if possible, rather than flash the retail bios to the chip.

If I can't get this working any other way, will I just be able to do the power button stealth mode and get that to work?

Silentscream__

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2005, 05:05:00 AM »

You could try the power button mod, but to be honest Iv never got it to work before.

Check that the black and yellow wires are plugged in tightly, apart from that I cant think what else would cause your problem.

Ecrofirt

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2005, 03:36:00 PM »

His system has the 5101 kernal.

I downloaded the 5101 bios and flashed it to his chip in the 1MB slot. I then verified it, and the contents match.

I tried booting his system to BIOS 1, and it FRAGs.

If I boot his system to BIOS 2 or 3 (which I also flashed to his chip. IND 5003 in bios 2, and the latest X2 in bios 3), the system boots fine.

What the heck is going on here?

edit: Bah. I didn't realize the bios I downloaded was only 256k. What can I do to make that 1MB? I want to keep in in spot 1 for him so it's very easy to switch to the retail.

This post has been edited by Ecrofirt: Dec 20 2005, 11:50 PM

Ecrofirt

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2005, 09:40:00 PM »

OK, I've just tried making the bios a 1MB bios, and that didn't work. It fragged.

I then tried putting the untouched 256k version from the usual place on my Xbox, and that's also causing frags.

What could the problem be?

Ecrofirt

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2005, 11:25:00 PM »

Bah, I wish you could edit your posts for a longer period of time. I wouldn't have to make 3 posts in a row.

OK, I got the problem fixed. The MS dash was incorrectly reporting the Kernal version as I was using a hacked bios, and it was reporting what hte bios said.

I used the Xbox version checker to find out he has a 1.1 box, and from there I got the 1.1 bios and flashed it onto the chip.

It is now worknig like a charm.

But, before I leave this thread to die, I've got another question. I'd like to make it very easy for him to get to the retail bios, so I'd like to put it in slot 1. This will require me to duplicate the bios so it's 1MB.

Will making the bios 1MB still keep him safe for Xbox Live, or should I just keep it at the 256k I downloaded it at, and put it on another slot?

I could really appreciate an answer to this, as I'd like to get his system working correctly while also providing him with a few other bioses to work with on the other banks.

Silentscream__

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2005, 06:08:00 AM »

Making it 1mb wont cause any problems, dont worry.

Glad you got it working

This post has been edited by Silentscream__: Dec 21 2005, 02:08 PM