xbox-scene.com archived forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

xbox-scene.com forum restored.  registration disabled.  thanks to xboxexpert for the db dump and netham45 for cleaning it up!

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Xbox Dashboard Local Vulnerability  (Read 524 times)

krawhitham

Xbox Dashboard Local Vulnerability
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2003, 06:22:27 PM »

QUOTE (emmpee @ Jul 4 2003, 04:20 AM)
QUOTE (krawhitham @ Jul 4 2003, 04:06 AM)

If they do fix it, what stops someone from using the 007 hack and coping and older version of the dashboard and all related files over M$s "new" fixed dashboard

See, the 'fixed' dashboard won't let you use the exploit. That's why it will have earned the term 'fixed'.

how is a dashboard update going to stop the 007 hack?

mattg39

« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2003, 06:41:55 PM »

I believe he will come out with another vulnerability.  One that will play from cd.  He says
This includes the lack of the reboot-on-eject-button "feature", which is obligatory for all games.

And a vulnerability is also for playing .wav

For an unknown reason this check is not performed on the audio (.wav) and font (.xtf) files.QUOTE]

So maybe the next one we will just have to put the .wav on a cd and the program and when the xbox plays the music, the program loads.

Crypto

« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2003, 06:49:31 PM »

Everyone seems concerned about the implications of only being able to use 8 gigs of the HD...  I see this being a good thing (It is to my knowledge that allowing for use of the F drive requires a modified bios, and we're still using the MS bios)...  

What this means is a true way to boot linux on an unmodded box, or homebrew games/apps/emulators etc.

At the same. the E drive doesn't contain enough space to make n00bz all buy xbox's to WaRReZZz0r the whole xbox library.

I see this (at least for the time being) being a huge step forward for the scene, and not much of a threat to developers.

So everybody wins! (except M$)

Just my .02

Great job X-Free! I was skeptical at first, but.. fantastic work!  beerchug.gif

- Crypto

afon

« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2003, 06:49:36 PM »

lol i thought about a corrupt wav file or something,if only my lazy ass would have done it. sad.gif  

kingofthexbox

« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2003, 06:55:09 PM »

I need help? Dont know where to start? What to do? How do I begin? AND WHERE CAN I GET THE FILES FROM?? uhh.gif  uhh.gif  uhh.gif  uhh.gif  uhh.gif  

midgetfighter

« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2003, 07:55:41 PM »

Its already begun  rolleyes.gif
Quote"I can already see the influx of n00bs to the scene asking how to open the .rar files for the pirated games they downloaded...  dry.gif "Quote

Id just try searching for this forum for answers on the 007 and mechassult hacks first and go from there

I see this as a bad thing, M$ is going to be pissed that everyone who owns an xbox now has the potetial to pirate their games even if they can only fit 2 on their 8gb harddrive. I still prefer the old modchip better than flashing the tsop, Im also not look forward to mandatory dashboard updates if M$ do decide to incorporate this It will just be a pain in the Ass. One upside I can see to this is more people becoming interested in the scene (hopefully a good thing) as this could bring about more kick ass development.

I just hope this wont be the start of very bad things.

HumanClay

« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2003, 07:59:12 PM »

Everyone seems concerned about the implications of only being able to use 8 gigs of the HD... I see this being a good thing (It is to my knowledge that allowing for use of the F drive requires a modified bios, and we're still using the MS bios)...

you may swap hdd's with a xbox using this exploit and get full acess to the F drive just as with a modchip. Yuo must first however insert the hdd into your pc and run hd prepare properly with your xbox hdd key

Perkele

« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2003, 08:40:59 PM »

QUOTE (HumanClay @ Jul 4 2003, 04:59 AM)
Everyone seems concerned about the implications of only being able to use 8 gigs of the HD... I see this being a good thing (It is to my knowledge that allowing for use of the F drive requires a modified bios, and we're still using the MS bios)...

you may swap hdd's with a xbox using this exploit and get full acess to the F drive just as with a modchip. Yuo must first however insert the hdd into your pc and run hd prepare properly with your xbox hdd key

And how is the XBox going to see the F-partition with the original bios??????

lonemodder

« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2003, 08:49:51 PM »

so let me se if i understand this, first copy code to notepad then donwload the UUDECODE prog and save the notepad file as linux.uue encoded as unicode and run UUDECODE on it. Am i right so far? Whats next?

HumanClay

« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2003, 08:51:16 PM »

It works is all I know...

LinksAwakening

« Reply #25 on: July 03, 2003, 08:55:22 PM »

QUOTE (HumanClay @ Jul 4 2003, 05:51 AM)

It works is all I know...

Have you tried this and can you comfirm it?

The original M$ bios will not recognize an unlocked HDD, and will definitely not recognize the F:\ drive.

This is all assuming you can even get the Xbox to boot off of an upgraded HDD, as M$ bios require the specific Xbox Motherboard\HDD pair to boot...

HumanClay

« Reply #26 on: July 03, 2003, 08:58:06 PM »

As said, the drive needs to be locked first by using your PC you lock it with YOUR xbox hddkey so its just like the original one, now I don't know for a fact this works with the Free-x hack but i know it works for the complex !loader and i assume this one as well

Edited by HumanClay, 04 July 2003 - 04:58 AM.

Troed

« Reply #27 on: July 03, 2003, 09:08:39 PM »

The implications are as follows (I'm now quoting myself from another thread here from yesterday):

Imagine using the 007 or MechAssualt hack to load files into the Xbox

Image those files creating a buffer overflow hack in the original dashboard

Imagine never having opened your Xbox, booting into the original dash, playing XboxLive at will.

Imagine just having to click in one of the original dashboard menus to boot up EvoX and start launching your backups, emulators and mediaplayers

Imagine the end of the modchip business

... followed by a little controversial bit:

oh almost forgot:

Booting EvoX is done above by patching the BIOS in ram. Now Imagine EvoX before launching your backup, hooking one of the bootloader routines in the xbe, launching the game, and when the hook is called patching the bios _back_ into original state.

Backups on XboxLive

http://forums.xbox-s...=ST&f=3&t=42520

HumanClay

« Reply #28 on: July 03, 2003, 09:10:16 PM »

Booting EvoX is done above by patching the BIOS in ram.

Ok that explains how You can acess the F drive, the bios is pacthed on the fly

krackheadbill

« Reply #29 on: July 03, 2003, 10:07:53 PM »

user posted image
muhahahahahahahaha  

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Page created in 0.12 seconds with 16 queries.