xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Simple Question..  (Read 76 times)

some_1

• Archived User
Simple Question..
« on: October 26, 2003, 09:50:00 PM »

Im going to purchase an Xbox tomorrow and just wanted to know which version I should purchase. Should I look for an old 1.0 or try to get a newer model and hopefully get a samsung Drive. I basically just for now want to install a mod chip & Bigger HD, No linux. I've read the forum ( plus others ) and it has answered a lot of my question just not this one... whice is probably the simplest one.
Thank you.

Arch~Angel

• Archived User
Simple Question..
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2003, 10:08:00 PM »

Hey,

I recommend a newer one and look at the version section of the web site : http://www.xbox-scene.com/versions.php for the manifactures dates and try to find one with a Samsung DVD Drive.  Just makes flashing a whole lot easier.  Again though this is my thoughts and others may not agree, but when i did mine i had the older one and i swapped it for a newer one and have been lfying smooth ever since....

Good Luck,

Arch~Angel

bleugh

• Archived User
Simple Question..
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2003, 10:23:00 PM »

definatley dont buy a 1.0, the newer ones are much quieter in operation, and makes for a better dvd watchig experience

mind you if you want to bugger about with the dev kit, then buy a 1.0

some_1

• Archived User
Simple Question..
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2003, 10:45:00 PM »

Thanks for the replys..  so it doesnt really matter then what version i get 1.2. 1.3etc long as its newer?

|Dazman|

• Archived User
Simple Question..
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2003, 12:56:00 AM »

Ok dude, in my opinion ( and this is just my opinion!)

v.0 is nice and esy to mod but like you said u sacrifice the drive, v1.1-v1.3 are cool due to nice drive, but as they have gotten newer they have become harder and harder to mod.

I tried modding a brand spanking new xbox last week (number?) and it was a pain in the ass, the d0 is in an awkward place now and the board seams like its been treated and sorta repels the solder.

Dont know if anyone else has found this.

|Dazman|

some_1

• Archived User
Simple Question..
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2003, 07:32:00 AM »

Yeah that was my only concern on picking up a newer version.  See what happens..

JaredC01

• Archived User
Simple Question..
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2003, 08:09:00 AM »

I personally like the v1.1, becuase they have a 1mb bios (which makes it easier if you want to multi-bios your TSOP), mine came with a Samsung drive, and it's been the easiest to mod out of all the xbox's I have done... which is about 12 to date.

That's just my opinion, but feel free to use my opinion if you wish.

some_1

• Archived User
Simple Question..
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2003, 12:47:00 PM »

Well thank you all for the replys i got a 1.1 with a samsung drive. w00t lol.
 Also while i was at circuit city... i noticed there was some boxes with 06 at the end of the serial number.  Probably been mentioned before.