xbox-scene.com archived forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

xbox-scene.com forum restored.  registration disabled.  thanks to xboxexpert for the db dump and netham45 for cleaning it up!

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Group Claims Linux Advance On Xbox  (Read 265 times)

maxgeek

Group Claims Linux Advance On Xbox
« Reply #30 on: June 27, 2003, 01:31:39 PM »

QUOTE (farmerfred @ Jun 27 2003, 11:03 PM)
if they were bluffing wouldnt they say who they were to get a little recognition?

why so they would look like idiots after the fallout

farmerfred

« Reply #31 on: June 27, 2003, 01:47:17 PM »

QUOTE (spoonieLuv @ Jun 27 2003, 11:15 PM)
QUOTE (maxgeek @ Jun 27 2003, 08:13 PM)
He feels that anything you buy belongs to you and you should be able to run whatever you want on it.

That is such a stupid argument. by his logic, i should be able to play game cube, ps2 and pc games on my xbox! why? CUZ I WANT THEM TO.

All these dumbasses are doing is creating negative press for the xbox and especially all us modders.  Not to mention lighting a fire under MS to find better copy protection and security on future xbox games and consoles.

F them! I'm happy running games and movies on my xbox, and apps on my computer.

i dont think he means it like that. the xbox is a computer and you should be able to use it like a computer.

farmerfred

« Reply #32 on: June 27, 2003, 01:49:53 PM »

QUOTE (maxgeek @ Jun 27 2003, 11:31 PM)
QUOTE (farmerfred @ Jun 27 2003, 11:03 PM)
if they were bluffing wouldnt they say who they were to get a little recognition?

why so they would look like idiots after the fallout

yeah they would like idiots but all they have do is give out their internet name, collect their 15 min of fame then change when everyone knows theyre full of shit.  

HumanClay

« Reply #33 on: June 27, 2003, 01:53:06 PM »

yes indeed, People are wanting more rights for their Xbox then as opposed ot Gamecube because the Xbox is more like a standard PC, with a HDD, P3/Celeron processor and hybrid Nvidia Geforce chip(i think). Imagine buying a PC from Dell and them saying You may only run programs X Y and Z...no it's my hardware I should be able to  use it how I see fit. Atleast thats the logic of these guys

AngelBallz69

« Reply #34 on: June 27, 2003, 02:54:33 PM »

it will be corny if the xbox is easy to hack, i mean it is easy because i know what im doing but i dont know, i just wouldnt care as much as before if hacking goes public or as we say in the music industry (MAIN STREAM)  mad.gif THES LINUX PUNKS AND THERE FUCKING BLACKMALE is really stupid and i bet they will put a mark on the xbox hacking scene, i mean come on its free and leagle to download, if u can afford a 150 doller xbox (that only plays games) u can save some money and by a nice and cool x2 that unlocks the BEAST in the xbox!! no need to sign nothing, and because of the xbox i hope M$ teaches these n00bs a leason not to fu*k with the corporate giant cussing.gif  

Azadar

« Reply #35 on: June 27, 2003, 03:42:30 PM »

I think you all got it wrong, saying this will give the Xbox-Scene Hackers a Black EYe or something along those lines. First off I would venture to say over 80% of the Xbox scene is not using MODDED XBOX's to boot Linux, there using it pirate Games, run Emulator lets face it. Everyone is hiding behind that premiss of Linux. Its a legal workaround to allow you to bypass the Illegal tagging on it. Im pretty sure it capable to boot the Xbox without a modchip using some type of bootstrap on the Dvd's, and looks like we will soon find out. But than again NO Chip manufactory wants this to get out as it will cost them money and
thats what its all driven by. As for the Real users who want Linus on an Xbox they still dont have a legal right to hack the Xbox, not I said LEGAL. In the end the XBox will be booted without a modchip and M$ will patch the Exploit. Also the Dreamcast didnt die because of the ability to boot games from the cdr, they had no Software developers and EA was not supporting them. Case closed.

Azadar

HumanClay

« Reply #36 on: June 27, 2003, 04:11:15 PM »

First off I would venture to say over 80% of the Xbox scene is not using MODDED XBOX's to boot Linux, there using it pirate Games, run Emulator lets face it.

I couldn't agree more, I mean ook at the post count for emulators forum and alternative operating system.... and see the huge difference--most people aren't using Linux on the Xbox, they are using it for XBMP,Emulators, and PIRATED games. To sit  there and say this will give the scene a bad rep is a joke..

it will be corny if the xbox is easy to hack

Who cares, so you won't feel "1337" because of your Xbox anymore....big deal besides, people will still want modchips! The M$ Bios won't allow for a bigger HDD, pc dvd drive, custom loed colors/boot colors andm aybe som other stuff

AngelBallz69

« Reply #37 on: June 27, 2003, 04:41:05 PM »

its called tsop noob thats the whole point unsure.gif  

AngelBallz69

« Reply #38 on: June 27, 2003, 05:14:55 PM »

1337 ? laugh.gif  

spoonieLuv

« Reply #39 on: June 27, 2003, 06:19:15 PM »

QUOTE (farmerfred @ Jun 27 2003, 11:47 PM)
QUOTE (spoonieLuv @ Jun 27 2003, 11:15 PM)
QUOTE (maxgeek @ Jun 27 2003, 08:13 PM)
He feels that anything you buy belongs to you and you should be able to run whatever you want on it.

That is such a stupid argument. by his logic, i should be able to play game cube, ps2 and pc games on my xbox! why? CUZ I WANT THEM TO.

All these dumbasses are doing is creating negative press for the xbox and especially all us modders.  Not to mention lighting a fire under MS to find better copy protection and security on future xbox games and consoles.

F them! I'm happy running games and movies on my xbox, and apps on my computer.

i dont think he means it like that. the xbox is a computer and you should be able to use it like a computer.

yeah, but M$ isnt selling you a computer, they're selling you a Gaming console, just cuz its like  a computer doesn't mean they have to let you run what you want on it.

thats like saying i bought a Hyundai, but I want a v12 as a factory option, why? cuz its a car and i want my car to do a quarter mile in 12 secs.  

the xbox is like a computer, but its not being manufactured to run linux or anything other than xbox games. if you want linux, hack it but don't expect M$ to make it easy for you.

my main point is that if every joe schmoe has a bootdisc, then the xbox market will fall out, no one will touch a system where their games won't be bought outright.

HumanClay

« Reply #40 on: June 27, 2003, 06:31:00 PM »

Everyone won't have a boot disc, PSX(correctm e if I'm wrong) and Dreamcast had boot discs and not everyone had a boot disc.

thats like saying i bought a Hyundai, but I want a v12 as a factory option, why? cuz its a car and i want my car to do a quarter mile in 12 secs.

And buying a Honda and wanting to put a v12 in there isn't the same. A Honda DOES not have what it takes out of the factory to do "a quarter mile in 12 seconds" but and Xbox DOES have what it takes to do Linux out of the factory, they just won't let you. It would be more appropriate to say a Honda car can do the 12 seconds, but you have to alter the engine somehow because Honda doesn't want you to( thats a stretch, I know)

yeah, but M$ isnt selling you a computer, they're selling you a Gaming console

But my friend, they ARE selling you a computer, just marketed as a gaming console. Thats the whole point.

Edited by HumanClay, 28 June 2003 - 02:32 AM.

bluescrn

« Reply #41 on: June 27, 2003, 10:33:06 PM »

<paranoid>

The XBox has been a testbed for Palladium.

It would have been impossible to break the app signing crypto (in a reasonable timescale). But other exploits/weaknesses were found that made this unneccessary.

When Palladium goes mainstream, it will be *much* harder to hack, thanks to the XBox Scene pointing out so many likely weaknesses.

There certainly won't be a nice, convenient LPC header on Palladium boards.... smile.gif

Within 10 years we'll all have about as much control over our PCs are we have over an unmodded XBox. Running Linux on it will be technically impossible and highly illegal (and that's assuming SCO haven't killed Linux by then)

</paranoid>

But this new 'sploit sounds very interesting... Could it really be that the dashboard loads saved data in an way that's exploitable 007-style?...

luther349

« Reply #42 on: June 28, 2003, 01:40:49 AM »

i like that its called tosp dude well i say 50% of the time tosp flash goes horridly wrong and ya still need a chip in the end. in my case i dont need a bigger hd or all the features a modchip has couse i dont need them i wanna simply run linux and xbmp emus etc. i dont wanna run backups/priecy i think thats a lame excuse to have a chip. if your to cheap to buy games you should have never bought a xbox.

well i will correct myself on the bigger hd if linux had 3d acell maybe i would put a 20 or 40 gig in there and do the 128meg memery upgrade and use it as my full pc. so i might whant a chip then. simply couse it would be cool to have a cracked out webtv for my family to use and they wouldent need to bother me to use my reg pc.

i aruldy have a dreamcast laned to my pc they use to surf the web with but its getting very old and doesent support all the stuff a full os does.

m.e

« Reply #43 on: June 28, 2003, 09:21:38 AM »

I think m$ will bribe the hackers

HumanClay

« Reply #44 on: June 28, 2003, 11:55:38 AM »

i dont wanna run backups/priecy i think thats a lame excuse to have a chip. if your to cheap to buy games you should have never bought a xbox.

I bought an Xbox before I even knew about the scene, and i rarely played it. Not interesting to me. Then I got a modchip for piracy,xbmp,emu so I didn't buy an Xbox for the piracy..I already had one. And I think you are the minority here that hasn't "backed up" games

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Page created in 0.123 seconds with 15 queries.