xbox-scene.com archived forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

xbox-scene.com forum restored.  registration disabled.  thanks to xboxexpert for the db dump and netham45 for cleaning it up!

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Group Claims Linux Advance On Xbox  (Read 264 times)

'Sweetleef'

NULL
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2003, 10:35:15 AM »

'
                Maxgeek, You have an interesting view on the politics.  I think I agree with you on what you've posted so far.   In addition I DON'T want to see M$ with there ass up and panties down (insert dreamcast refrence - similair to).  Again, the fan boys who live the advertising will see this as pathetic, but in the future I want to see the big contenders in the ring.  Consider it a simple consideration.  We all know compettition benefits the customers.  About the lindows guy and his money.  He didn't offer an award for linux on gamecube/ ps2.  Yes i know ps2 already has linux...but is it free?  And why not liberate the boot code for those systems?  I guess I'm suspicious of his intentions.    

'

'luther349'

NULL
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2003, 10:37:14 AM »

'
                 muhaha.gif well M$ will never talk to them and we will never see this so called list of expolites. just some wanna be hacker tem trying to score there 1 page view internet fame. lol.

'

'ips'

NULL
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2003, 10:40:42 AM »

'
                The whole threat thing is just wrong. Working hack or not M$ will never sign a xbox linux bootloader. It would be very bad thing for them to basically legitimize linux as a viable OS even if it is for a small system like the xbox. Them doing nothing and the hack being released (assuming there is one) would be a small job from their law firm to deal with in comparison to the nightmare that would occur by essentially telling the world that linux, even if they hate it, is a usable OS.

'

'farmerfred'

NULL
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2003, 10:56:10 AM »

'
                micorosft is an evil corporation that needs to be taught a lessong for all their mistakes so even if blackmail is wrong M$ deserves it and i highly doubt its some kid just trying to get some fame if their this serious.

'

'[sandokan]'

NULL
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2003, 11:02:59 AM »

'

Just one thing. I think I have caught enough information from various
places about the exploit and the story.

The ZDNet Story seems like it was inspired my M$ Workers. It
reads as if those guys were blackmailing M$ but the story I know is
different... something like M$ refused to speak about an exploit and
those guys offered to keep it quiet if there would be a signed linux.
This is far different from what is written at ZDNet.

The exploit is said to be a dashboard exploit that when put on the harddisk
will boot linux and it is also said that it will be released on the 4th of july.
The XBOX Independence day...

just my 2 cents

btw: hints like the independence day thing you can read in the ZDNet forum.

'

'XanTium'

NULL
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2003, 11:42:58 AM »

'
                If they manage to change the public key (like done with the 007:AUF and Mech Assault hack) at boottime with xboxdash.xbe it's gonna hurt MS real bad.

MS might want to think twice ...

'

'MURDERER'

NULL
« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2003, 12:19:20 PM »

'
                I don't think this will be the end of the XBOX. M$ could come up with a way to play original games on Live even if you are using modified hardware or software. What about serial codes?

iMURDERER

'

'Dante_Ali'

NULL
« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2003, 12:39:49 PM »

'
                Serves MS right and the hilarious part is that there's no way for them to backfire - once the exploits are out, they're out - and the damage will be done. No one to sue, No one to send weak Cease and Desist letters to, and no one to bribe.  

'

'XanTium'

NULL
« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2003, 12:46:27 PM »

'

QUOTE (MURDERER @ Jun 27 2003, 11:19 PM)
I don't think this will be the end of the XBOX. M$ could come up with a way to play original games on Live even if you are using modified hardware or software. What about serial codes?

iMURDERER

I'm not worried about xbox live ... they will ALWAYS find a way to check if you're using an original game. (unless the real MS RSA key gets released).
If the xboxdash.xbe is edited or public key is diff. MS could easily add this as check to their xlive software. (xbox live updates automaticly).

'

'jlm5151'

NULL
« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2003, 12:53:30 PM »

'
                I really think that this is a bad move by some people who think they are doing the right thing. I feel that they are bluffing and M$ will call it. The only thing that will come out of this is these people going down and going down quite hard. wink.gif  

'

'Ridley'

NULL
« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2003, 12:55:45 PM »

'
                I really hope they just release their damn exploit already, I hope it's a bootdisc or something. If they don't release it soon the M$ black helicopters will come down and kill them anyway.

You have to realize that new technology can't be stopped, and that the whole scene may change overnight if a bootdisc is released. Is this a good thing? In my opinion yes, and nothing can convince me otherwise, nothing.

Edited by Ridley, 27 June 2003 - 08:56 PM.

'

'mod7'

NULL
« Reply #26 on: June 27, 2003, 01:01:25 PM »

'
                What other way is there possibly to do this.  I am in the comp. security field and if a company refuses to acknowledge or patch a system vulnerability then you set a date and release the exploits/proof of concept code.  Their is no difference in an xbox and a regular pc running winblowz xp sp1.2.2600.blah.blah.  The only difference this time is the hackers/crackers are not asking for a patch but a linux signed .xbe....this is kinda like history and I can't wait to see how it pans out.  Not sure if it is blackmail though....what do you guys think?

'

'farmerfred'

NULL
« Reply #27 on: June 27, 2003, 01:03:56 PM »

'
                if they were bluffing wouldnt they say who they were to get a little recognition?

'

'keiichi-mx'

NULL
« Reply #28 on: June 27, 2003, 01:10:13 PM »

'
                can someone sum up how this is different from the 007 hack? it just seems like someone is using that already known information to blackmail MS into singing a linux bootloader. What will this allow us to do that is different from booting linux under 007, that doesn't require a modchip either. And ZDnet would be just the type to whip up a frenzied story for its readers about it.

'

'spoonieLuv'

NULL
« Reply #29 on: June 27, 2003, 01:15:51 PM »

'

QUOTE (maxgeek @ Jun 27 2003, 08:13 PM)
He feels that anything you buy belongs to you and you should be able to run whatever you want on it.

That is such a stupid argument. by his logic, i should be able to play game cube, ps2 and pc games on my xbox! why? CUZ I WANT THEM TO.

All these dumbasses are doing is creating negative press for the xbox and especially all us modders.  Not to mention lighting a fire under MS to find better copy protection and security on future xbox games and consoles.

F them! I'm happy running games and movies on my xbox, and apps on my computer.

'
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Page created in 0.107 seconds with 16 queries.