xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Chameleon Solderless Adapter Install  (Read 234 times)

sk8ermike6789

• Archived User
Chameleon Solderless Adapter Install
« on: August 07, 2003, 03:55:00 PM »

not to brag, but the adapter was simple to install for me, i have a 1.1 withe the LPC holes filled, that seemed to help... but the softaware was a bit more tricky than the hardware, but all is good now

Mike

PS, whenever the d0 spring goes too far down, it hits the motherboard sheilding and turns off the mod, what should i do about this, it really really annyoing!!! should i just put something underneath the d0 to insulate it from the mobo, would paper work??? or would it burn into flames muhaha.gif ??? laugh.gif i dont think so, but.. i dont want to use paper, and i dont really want to cut the sheilding, well maybe, does any one have a suggestion...???

oh yea, my led on the chameleon doesnt work any more, but on cromwell it does?? why???

sk8ermike6789

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2003, 04:37:00 PM »

ahh, yes thank you scotch tape would be perfect!!! THANX ALOT

Psychosis

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2003, 12:03:00 PM »

QUOTE (ColdBrew @ Aug 12 2003, 03:28 PM)
I have a Chameleon v1.3 with adapter & Xbox v1.1 without solder in the holes. The adapter did not work. I wiggled the adapter around, but never got more than a flicker. I'm going to fill the holes with solder and try that.

Does anyone have tips on filling the holes with solder.

If you're gonna fill the LPC holes with solder, have you considered just soldering in the pin header? Then you just need to solder a wire to the d0 point but it's not too bad since a 30 guage wire inserts nicely into this hole.

JayGo

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2003, 12:19:00 PM »

V1.0 Xbox and it was really simple to install with pogo pins.  Got it working on the first try.  I had to open up xbox couple time after install to swap hdd but the mod chip still works perfectly fine.  I am assuming the modchip is secured pretty nicely.

ColdBrew

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2003, 12:57:00 PM »

QUOTE (Psychosis @ Aug 12 2003, 09:03 PM)
If you're gonna fill the LPC holes with solder, have you considered just soldering in the pin header? Then you just need to solder a wire to the d0 point but it's not too bad since a 30 guage wire inserts nicely into this hole.

Yep, I have considered that. The main reason is that it looks like filling those holes would be easier than soldering that d0 point. Also I could remove the chip if I wanted too. Also I paid for that adapter! ;P

Psychosis

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2003, 03:43:00 PM »

Yeah, I'm still bitter that I broke a pin off my solderless adapter forcing me to do the pin header install. Good luck with your install!

hadrian

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2003, 06:48:00 PM »

Xbox v1.2

I tried a v1.0 and v1.3 Chameleon with the wireless adapter, no success so far.  Gonna give up on this and solder the pin header.

GTScelica93

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2003, 05:20:00 AM »

I have noticed that everyone that has problems with the adapter has the unfilled holes (same as me) and I too had problems for about 3 hours until I actually realized what EB2k sent me... I don't know if it was shipped along with every adapter, but for me they sent 10 little pin sleeves... they are just the right size to fit over the pins on the top side of the chip. I just went ahead and tried putting them in the 9 used LPC holes (after I noticed that there was a small ledge on them, and they wouldn't just fall through), attaching d0 and screwing the damed thing back in... works perfect now.

Like I said, I don't know when EB2k started sending those out, but if you got one recently and you have unfilled LPC holes, try that instead of soldering.

ColdBrew

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2003, 07:02:00 AM »

I didn't get any pin sleeves and I received my order on monday the 11th.

I did successfully get it working by soldering the empty holes and screwing it down. This took about 2-3 minutes.

I filled the holes even with the motherboard and then screwed the adapter screw until the adapter sunk in to the solder (at least that is what it looked like it did).

Mine even reads CDR's. Not sure how much that will help me but it's something. smile.gif

If the pins on the adapter were bigger it would work much better. Or the sleeve thing sounds good to. Too bad they didn't include any for me. I received the chip, adapter, pin header, and a screw.

talkingwires

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2003, 12:36:00 PM »

QUOTE (GTScelica93 @ Aug 13 2003, 08:20 AM)
I don't know if it was shipped along with every adapter, but for me they sent 10 little pin sleeves... they are just the right size to fit over the pins on the top side of the chip.

I didn't get any pin sleeves either, but it sounds like a good idea. I don't suppose you could post of picture of them so I could try rigging up something similar? I've already killed several Xboxes doing various mods, so I'd really like to avoid soldering this one...

ColdBrew

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2003, 05:22:00 AM »

I would just like to update whats up with my chameleon...

I installed a new hard drive last night and tried setting up the ini file so I could flash my mod chip's other banks. I never got the flashing to work (just comes up with an empty blue box when I select it (evox dashboard)), but I did get it to reboot to the other banks. And it seems that banks 1-3 all have bad copies of the linux bios. They all have weak looking video output and will eject the Cd tray but won't ask for the cd to be inserted and even if you do, it will not load the bios. One of the banks has static in the middle of the screen. So it seems that only my bank 0 had a good copy of the linux bios on it.

Now I want to reprogram my banks and am stumped right now on how to correctly do that.

sp8rky

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2003, 07:36:00 AM »

QUOTE (ColdBrew @ Aug 14 2003, 09:22 AM)

Now I want to reprogram my banks and am stumped right now on how to correctly do that.

I answered this question... Go Here:

Chameleon BIOS files thread