xbox-scene.com archived forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

xbox-scene.com forum restored.  registration disabled.  thanks to xboxexpert for the db dump and netham45 for cleaning it up!

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Group Claims Linux Advance On Xbox  (Read 263 times)

AngelBallz69

Group Claims Linux Advance On Xbox
« on: June 27, 2003, 07:05:17 AM »

why is this group blackmaleing xbox??? its free to download the program all u need is a mod chip to do it. why is it so important for them to have M$ sign it??? u dont even need a mod chip no more with the 007 hack. i dont know i think its stupid that that group i doing that to M$  dry.gif  someone have any more mixed feelings about this?

Combo

« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2003, 07:18:28 AM »

i dont really know what to think about it
the results can be as baneful as interesting for the future of the scene

kegs

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2003, 08:05:14 AM »

think twice

and you ll *see* that M$ have no choice at all, the result will be the same...

Fire_-=

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2003, 08:14:10 AM »

tell me if i am wrong but i understand this: this group claim to continue searching for an exploit (ex. boot disk) that should be a deja vu from the dreamcast, the utopia disk helps to spoil the dreamcast much worse, and if m$ sign the bootloader someone could find another exploit, yeah i think that m$ has no choice

Edited by Fire_-=, 27 June 2003 - 04:15 PM.

BDSAINT

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2003, 08:15:26 AM »

Whats stupid about their claim is that everyone knows M$ will not sign their shit.   M$ is too "big" and too "great" to be blackmailed by some "punk hackers"      So my questions is... Why doesnt the group just release their shit and get it over with.   Because thats what will happen in the end anyways.     The way that the article on CNN described it, it almost sounds like its a weak threat.    I mean, whats next?   Are we going to have to sign non-disclosures in order to see the new "hack"?    LOL.  

BDSAINT

kegs

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2003, 08:22:54 AM »

QUOTE (Fire_-= @ Jun 27 2003, 06:14 PM)
[...] if m$ sign the bootloader someone could find another exploit [...]

no need for more *exploits*.... at least for *someone(s)*(think again)

lc204

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2003, 08:23:59 AM »

If this group does convince MS to sign the linux bootloader, wouldn't that mean they won the linux contest and the prize?  All without lifing a finger I might add.

Digian

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2003, 08:51:40 AM »

Instead of blackmailing them with 'wow some advanced hack' why not state what it is in general terms so that it puts the wind up M$ a little more than sounding like some kids just found out about 007 and think its the best kept secret.

Put your cards on the table when dealing with M$, people.

GRiFFBALL

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2003, 08:54:29 AM »

if ms signed the xbe then what about futre versions? they too would have to be signed.  the group will have to prove that they have a valid exploit so m$ knows they are not blagging but if they do m$ may release a new ver xbox destroying the exploit. -maybe, not sure on this one)  also if they release a hack it may bring about the end of the xbox.  its a hard one
ps anyway even if m$ signs it then couldnt the xbox linux xbe be reverse engineered?  its exciting yet saddening to think about the end of xbox.
lol
griff out

Heet

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2003, 09:25:30 AM »

Who are these guys.  Can we have their addresses?  I want to make it so they cannot walk anymore.

maxgeek

« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2003, 09:47:14 AM »

I think if they made linux run on xbox without a mod thats great, but I think asking the impossible from M$ is just stupid. Oh okay you want M$ the maker of windows to support Linux the free OS and allow it to run on their XBOX console that they lose money on each one they sale. So more people will run out and buy cheap linux boxes (xbox) so M$ will lose even more money. Okay sounds like a good idea for MS.

even if they got linux to work on xbox without a mod and released it, it would only be news on the internet and maybe the screensaves on techtv. If M$ supports Linux on XBOX it will be front page news, all over TV news, and etc. So M$'s move is pretty simple. Just let the hackers play their hand and it will be less publicized.

Edited by maxgeek, 27 June 2003 - 05:49 PM.

Sweetleef

« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2003, 10:01:27 AM »

Hmm...I guess I don't like the 'threat' approach.  It bothers me to see a big company treated like a bitch.  Not that I'm a M$ fan or anything.  It just sounds like a power trip...kinda like rape.  Honestly, if M$ were to port linux that would be cool...but at the same time it wouldn't be cool because they would charge for it.  

So I guess I'm left with the question of "why do we need a signed boot loader?"  Before anyone blurts out with: "Because we need to launch linux without a mod chip." Please think about what exactly that means...how the xbox scene is viewed,  how linux is propagated,  how does this support the (majority vs minority) end user (ability to play games vs. ability to subdue M$ security vs. the number of people who will actually run linux)?  Plus what's so bad about launching linux WITH a modchip.  I don't have a problem with it.  And the award to run linux on unmodded xbox...why is it being offered?  What is the angle behind that?  At the end of the day is it wise for M$ to give in?  If you were M$ what would you do?  Sorry about all the questions - I am so confused...ugh.

Edit: Looks like maxgeek kinda answered some of my concerns before my post went thru.

Edited by Sweetleef, 27 June 2003 - 06:19 PM.

SeasonOfFire

« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2003, 10:09:42 AM »

QUOTE (Sweetleef @ Jun 27 2003, 07:01 PM)
And the award to run linux on unmodded xbox...why is it being offered?  What is the angle behind that?

The founder of Lindows wanted to see it done. It's his money, let him use it for whatever he wants to. The man wanted Linux on the Xbox, and perfered Linux on the Xbox without a modchip and without opening a huge opportunity for piracy. I see nothing wrong with that.

I don't neccisarilly agree with the hackers' methods and their blackmailing though. I do, however, agree with Maxgeek that there's no way that M$ will give in completely just because some sort of little threat (although it looks to be a BIG threat, they don't care, in the scheme of things).

maxgeek

« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2003, 10:13:01 AM »

The prize money is being offered by a guy who feels that XBOX is M$s first attempt at a computer that will only run MS goodies. He feels that anything you buy belongs to you and you should be able to run whatever you want on it.

Linux with a mod chip is great but a mod chip cost money and can be hard for some people to install. So Linux without a mod chip will allow more poeple to do it.

There is really no way M$ is going to sell or offer Linux. They are in a pretty big battle against linux in the Business market. So offering linux even for xbox would look really bad.

Edited by maxgeek, 27 June 2003 - 06:13 PM.

luther349

« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2003, 10:33:19 AM »

if they sighned a linux xbe i dought it can be hacked otherwise we would have this for real xbes from hacking them off games. these kids probly have a expolite like the save hack are trying to act big. like i said befor if you can buffer over a save you can buffer overflow the rca check. maybe they got a key leaked to them or managed to grab it from the xbox.

thers a few things they could have but threting m$ only makes them look stupid and fake.

hell maybe those guys brute forcing the rca key to get the m$ one just got relly lucky and its them threting m$. and thats just the tsuff i knoe off and im not even a xbox hacker.

Edited by luther349, 27 June 2003 - 06:35 PM.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Page created in 0.146 seconds with 16 queries.