xbox-scene.com archived forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

xbox-scene.com forum restored.  registration disabled.  thanks to xboxexpert for the db dump and netham45 for cleaning it up!

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Winuae / Amiga Setup.  (Read 1103 times)

eilz

Winuae / Amiga Setup.
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2009, 04:48:59 AM »

I also use the Amiga Emu on the xbox, but always find messing about too much to get games working too.

I do not know enough about the WMLOAD thing, but would love to see a emulator just select and run the game.  I also seem to find having to mess about with the screen size on various games, having to strech it to the screen to display, but maybe its just be using a older version.

I never knew about WMDLOAD on df0 and the game on df1, is that what I need to do always. I just load the disk on df0 huh.gif

A dummies guide or a set of instruction 1-10 would really be appreciated. Thanks in Advance.. to any one who can help-  (I know there is load of stuff out there to read, but very confusing too)

madmab

Winuae / Amiga Setup.
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2009, 05:31:36 AM »

Hey, as long as it doesn't involve needles I'm up for testing anything!

Good to hear you're taking a look smile.gif
ok cool.  I'll need one test image (plus boot disk/hdf).  Are any up on your site?  Once I get that working I'll hand it over to you.

I might look into the crazy screensize issue as well.  If it doesn't look too involving I might be able to fix it real quick.  I'm thinking that since the user can "size" the window that maybe x-port chose not to mess with it?  What are the most common sizes for games?  It's been a while..

320x200 non-interlaced
320x400 interlaced
640x480 interlaced..

I'll have to peek in winuae's setup tabs.

killergorilla

Winuae / Amiga Setup.
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2009, 06:38:48 AM »

If you do add those screen settings, PLEASE do not remove the current way of sizing it, as I like my pixel perfect screens smile.gif  (The settings are posted on a few threads on here, plus the awesome external website I can't remember the name of off the top of my head).

eilz, whdload doesn't use df0: at all, wHDload (the HD stands for Hard Drive) are loaded into DH0 and DH1.

You are probably used to adfs.

Once I've converted my HDFs using my new script and winuaex has been tweaked I'll setup a nice easy guide.

Most Amiga games use 320x256 by the way smile.gif

Edited by killergorilla, 02 April 2009 - 02:39 PM.

madmab

Winuae / Amiga Setup.
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2009, 05:00:52 AM »

Before I forget to ask about it.  Is there anyway you can set up your script so if the user is pressing a certain button (for example left mouse button) that it will go straight to the workbench?  Alot of the WHD stuff I has comes with game documentation, hints, etc, and it would be nice to be able to access that somehow.

Actually the only other catch is a few of them have multiple versions (like OCS, AGA, CDTV)...

Edited by madmab, 05 April 2009 - 01:01 PM.

killergorilla

Winuae / Amiga Setup.
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2009, 02:23:12 PM »

If you wanted to load it with workbench you'd need to replace the whdload.hdf with a workbench hdf of some sort.  I'm not really fussed about booting in to workbench within WinUAEX myself.  If I want to look at docs I'll just go on the computer/internet and take a look smile.gif  Just like I would do on Neogenesis, MekaX etc.

Not sure why you think that AGA/OCS/CDTV versions are a "catch".  Each of the whdload zips only contains one version of the game.  If you want to load the AGA version you simply load the AGA version smile.gif

madmab

Winuae / Amiga Setup.
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2009, 07:32:06 PM »

The whd's that I have just happened to be put together that way (multiple versions with documentations files) so that was why I was asking.

killergorilla

Winuae / Amiga Setup.
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2009, 10:43:12 PM »

Ah I see.

Well ignore those smile.gif

To be honest most AGA whdload games don't run all that great in WinUAEX anyway, they run far too slow and jerky so I may not even include them (the pinball games seem fine however).

madmab

Winuae / Amiga Setup.
« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2009, 06:49:09 AM »

No problem.  Just keep doing what you were doing.  My only concern is unzipping the files, as you said.  I'm thinking that if maybe the file is too big it may cause issues with locking (as you said).  Mainly cause from what I understand winuaex is pushing the memory limitations of the xbox.

killergorilla

Winuae / Amiga Setup.
« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2009, 08:00:08 AM »

Well...

How about something a little simpler smile.gif

I rename all the whdload hdf files to "GameName.whd"

That should remove the need to unzip them, remove the need to check for a text file, and make it obvious that they are not plain hdf files than can be loaded on their own.

Sounds good to me!

madmab

Winuae / Amiga Setup.
« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2009, 10:32:59 AM »

Good idea.  I like it.  Congratulations you just created your own extension type.  laugh.gif

Anyways sounds like a plan.  When I get to fooling with winuax I'll set it up like that.

I have about three emulators I need to update to dual skin first..

killergorilla

Winuae / Amiga Setup.
« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2009, 02:57:11 AM »

Excellent!

Well let me know when you start on it and I'll help out smile.gif

flavor

Winuae / Amiga Setup.
« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2009, 05:56:43 AM »

How do you guys prevent winuaex from losing the proper timing in 60hz? I'm on NTSC and 720p and stuff like the workbench seems to work just fine, but most games (pal games I presume) just keep stuttering.

killergorilla

Winuae / Amiga Setup.
« Reply #27 on: April 09, 2009, 03:44:25 AM »

Hmm

I've never seen this stuttering..

I've run WinUAEX on 1080i / 60Hz and it's been fine.

What settings do you have?

I'll need to check my settings on my xbox at the weekend.

madmab

Winuae / Amiga Setup.
« Reply #28 on: April 21, 2009, 01:44:27 AM »

Was sifting thru the winuaex code last night kinda cleaning things up.  I'm hoping I can find some way to be able to implement movie previews considering the tight memory issues.  So far it seems (from what I read) that JIT does not provide any real advantage except in certain cases.

Anyways if there was someway you could get the whdload boot disk to me and maybe one of your "converted" games that I can tinker with, that'd be great!  smile.gif  I'm still trying to decide which way to go (mount the .hdf file) or just unzip to the utility drive (like I do with WinstonX).

There are a fair amount of things I wanted to do with winuaex.  Some more time consuming then others.  For example I wanna modify it so it doesn't overwrite the drive mounts on exit.  That just messes things up when the user goes back into the game.  The drive information is saved with each savestate so savestates will still be ok.

Possibly combine the "mount disk in drive 1-4", "create blank disk" options into one menu..

I also wanna go thru the preconfigurations and make sure they match winuea.

Other things would be, possibly restructuring the mappings to be more generic (aka useful).  I'm not real familar with the typical keys used by most games, or for that matter the CD32.  But if anything I would do like I did with atarixlbox.  Have 2 or 3 "pre controller configs".

Oh and also try to create a game config system similar to the one used in atarixlbox.  That way the user can have a bunch of preset configs for games.  This would only consist of the hardware config (not controller) for now.

Anyways.  Like I said some of those items are kinda time consuming so I'm gonna try and stick to the simpler stuff for now.  smile.gif

killergorilla

Winuae / Amiga Setup.
« Reply #29 on: April 22, 2009, 07:12:24 AM »

For whdload games JIT is useless, it causes more problems than the benefits it offers.

For stuff like Workbench however (the Amiga's OS) and non-whdload games that need the horse power (mostly 3D stuff) JIT can come in very handy.

I personally never use JIT in WinUAEX as I only use WinUAEX to play old school games.  Even AGA WHDLoad games struggle so I doubt I'll want to play any complex 3D games (even if it will run them).

I'll sort you out the whdload.hdf file (and game file) as soon as possible, might end up being next week some time though as I'm pretty tied up from now until then.

I'm not a big fan of the default keymappings.  I have a USB mouse and keyboard so I don't need the mouse being mapped to the analog stick.    I've also completely changed the keymaps so that both the DPad and left analog stick are registered as a joystick (only the dpad is by default).

A good option for a few configs would be:

Joystick - standard 2 button
CD32 Pad - with all 6 buttons mapped correctly
Pinball - the amiga had quite a few decent pinball games, so mapping F1 to start, and the two shift keys to the triggers would be a good idea (or something similar).

On a normal Amiga the red button on the CD32 pad would work as the standard button on a joystick, although in WinUAE/WinUAEX the two things are separate (i.e. if it's set to Red, it will not work in games which do not have CD32 pad support).

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Page created in 0.116 seconds with 15 queries.