xbox-scene.com archived forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

xbox-scene.com forum restored.  registration disabled.  thanks to xboxexpert for the db dump and netham45 for cleaning it up!

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Windows 98  (Read 318 times)

thr3311jd

Windows 98
« on: June 19, 2003, 06:42:40 PM »

I want some input on this.  Do you think it will take off?  Do you think anyone will make an easier way to install it?

Skipper

Windows 98
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2003, 06:44:17 PM »

Doubt it, Windows 98 was shitty on a regular PC let alone run it on an Xbox

Morglum

Windows 98
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2003, 06:46:44 PM »

Why would it take off? Theres linux for xbox, theres no need for windows.

Takenover83

Windows 98
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2003, 07:22:54 PM »

You guys have to think a little more about this. Most people run windows. Most dont want Linux. So dont force it on them. Let people have there options.

Windows is easy to learn (no commands etc..) most people dont have to read up to learn windows.

Linux (very high learning curve) have to read tuturial after tuturual just to get a very basic understanding.

This is why alot of people want windows. No hiding it.

Morglum

Windows 98
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2003, 07:37:09 PM »

QUOTE (Takenover83 @ Jun 20 2003, 05:22 AM)
You guys have to think a little more about this. Most people run windows. Most dont want Linux. So dont force it on them. Let people have there options.

Windows is easy to learn (no commands etc..) most people dont have to read up to learn windows.

Linux (very high learning curve) have to read tuturial after tuturual just to get a very basic understanding.

Thats not true at all. You dont need to read nothing to get basic day to day use. And you only have commands to type in linux if you use the shell, not unlike command prompt in windows (except shell works), but most newbies use a GUI, either KDE or GNOME, which are pretty much like the windows desktop anyway. The only time it gets hard is when you try to do high end configurations, which dont really need to be messed with as its rare the system fails to set itself up properly from the install.

EDIT: And remember we're talking about linux on XBOX, there is nothing you will need to configure, its not like you can add new hardware to the machine is it  tongue.gif  

Edited by Morglum, 20 June 2003 - 03:44 AM.

neomaytricks

Windows 98
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2003, 07:38:33 PM »

I agree, Winblows 95, 98 its a nice work that shallax is doing but I am happy with Linux on my xbox.    

Takenover83

Windows 98
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2003, 07:44:08 PM »

Trust me pal. Ive been learning linux for the last year. I woudnt recommend it to anyone yet. For the simple fact that it is just to hard to learn quickly. Normal users play games (with aceleration), read email, surf the web, download mp3's etc... If I was to tell a friend how to install the Nvidia drivers for linux, they would get totally lost. They would say screw this and go back to Xp. One wrong move and your OS is at risk. I like linux but it sure isnt for non experienced users.

Edited by Takenover83, 20 June 2003 - 03:45 AM.

Morglum

Windows 98
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2003, 07:49:35 PM »

QUOTE (Takenover83 @ Jun 20 2003, 05:44 AM)
One wrong move and your OS is at risk. I like linux but it sure isnt for non experienced users.

Only if you're using root, which a retard would be doing unless it was something critical that needed setting. Anyone can kill a windows system, only root or root privelidged users can kill linux, normal users can do no damage at all. And ive been using Linux and Solaris for around 6 years or more, you trust me, it is straight forward and simple for the normal user. As ive said in another post, even my computer illiteral fiancee can use linux and finds it easy. Also adding drivers isnt hard at all, copy and paste a few files to a directory, wow, rocket science  dry.gif  hell you dont even need to add drivers for most things, the kernel supports the marjority of popular hardware, and if it dont then sure add a new drive, or just download the newest kernel update, Or better still if you have the knowledge update the kernel yourself.

Edited by Morglum, 20 June 2003 - 03:52 AM.

Takenover83

Windows 98
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2003, 07:53:07 PM »

Thats just it. Most comomon pc users dont want the hassel. They want something simple. Linux is not simple. Compiling, Commands, configuring text files etc... Most users want no part of it. If they cant install something within a user friendly gui, then they dont want it. Yes you been working with Linux for 6 years. Its a walk in the park for you, but not your adverage joe smo newbie.

*and yes a newbie would make the mistake of using root, hell when i started off I screwed my Linux up a couple times from that very reason*

Edited by Takenover83, 20 June 2003 - 03:54 AM.

Morglum

Windows 98
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2003, 07:57:39 PM »

You obviously never seen the new mandrake installer then, thats even nicer than anything ive ever seen in a windows system. And did you miss the part about my computer illiterate fiancee using linux and finding it easy, hell calling her computer illiterate is being kind aswell, shes down right retarded when it comes to computers  tongue.gif And theres nothing to configure with Linux, WTF release you using, Red Hat 2.0 or something? Almost everything is configured right from the install automatically. And like i said earlier, we're talking about XBOX not PC.

Heh and if a newbie uses root then they deserve to kill their system. KDE and GNOME both spit up a huge warning screen when you first log in as root saying you can kill your system from using root and they advise you to log in as a standard user.

Edited by Morglum, 20 June 2003 - 03:58 AM.

Takenover83

Windows 98
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2003, 08:04:56 PM »

QUOTE (Morglum @ Jun 20 2003, 05:57 AM)
You obviously never seen the new mandrake installer then, thats even nicer than anything ive ever seen in a windows system. And did you miss the part about my computer illiterate fiancee using linux and finding it easy, hell calling her computer illiterate is being kind aswell, shes down right retarded when it comes to computers  tongue.gif And theres nothing to configure with Linux, WTF release you using, Red Hat 2.0 or something? Almost everything is configured right from the install automatically. And like i said earlier, we're talking about XBOX not PC.

Defend it all you want. Im only sharing what is reality. Your there to help your future wife out when she has a question etc...  And yes I have used it *mandrake 9.1, very nice) I said ive been learning for the last year, now why would I use redhat 2.0 if ive been learning for about a year? Think a little longer before you insult me. Im not standing up for windows. Im not standing up for Linux. Just saying most people want something SIMPLE, (simple enough where they dont need there future husband right around the corner when questions come to mind).

Most people are familar with windows there for its very easy to learn.

Linux doesnt have that advantage yet. Maybe someday it will.

Least agree Linux for the most part is for advanced pc Users.

Windows is for the newbs.

Edited by Takenover83, 20 June 2003 - 04:05 AM.

thr3311jd

Windows 98
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2003, 08:09:57 PM »

but what about the software and game choices for windows, wouldn't that attract many people to put that on their x-box instead of linux?

Morglum

Windows 98
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2003, 08:14:03 PM »

I asked if you're using redhat 2.0 because all you talk about is configuring shit, when its not really needed anymore as its mosty automatic. And as for my fiancee, the only time she's asked for help was when she forgot her password, and when she couldnt find the MP3 player, oh and how to get out of shell because she maximised the terminal and didnt know how to get out without turning the computer off, other than that she dont ask me for help, she finds it quite easy and straight forward to use. Though right now she seems to like XP Pro because she can just click a little icon and dont have to keep typing a user name and password in  laugh.gif  

feflicker

Windows 98
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2003, 08:18:05 PM »

My question is: When was the last time you sampled a linux distro? Installing and using most linux flavors is WAY EASIER than installing and configuring Windows 2000 or Windows XP.  ohmy.gif

My Point: I reloaded my laptop last weekend. It took 4 hours to fully install XP, download Service Packs, install software, etc... It took 1.5 hours to load Sco Linux Server 3.1 (formerly Caldera), and it came with several packages, including gnome and kde ready to roll. I was online in a matter of minues, connected to my PC, sharing files, etc.  wink.gif

For the xbox, all most want to do is surf the internet, use ftp and irc. Linux does that easily, and all through a GUI just like windows.  ph34r.gif

Who would rather *emulate* windows through Linux, and suffer extreme performance implications, than just take the opportunity to learn a little bit about the Corporate OS of the future, Linux?  beerchug.gif

I still use Windows as my primary OS, just due to the wide range of software available on the PC platform, like most people. I am not a "fanboy", but I think it is ridiculous when people recite nonsense about Linux from "Computer World" articles from 3-4 years ago~!  blink.gif  

Morglum

Windows 98
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2003, 08:20:02 PM »

QUOTE (thr3311jd @ Jun 20 2003, 06:09 AM)
but what about the software and game choices for windows, wouldn't that attract many people to put that on their x-box instead of linux?

Why run windows games on your xbox when you got a pc to do it, or even better still, and xbox to play games on tongue.gif But once again whats with everyone thinking there are no games for unix based and clone systems? Theres a whole heap of games out there.

I spend many a day at work on my Solaris system playing Quake 3 Arena over the internal LAN and online, the same with Unreal Tournament 2003 to name another. Now i will admit its hard to find games that are for SPARCs but for standard x86 Linux machines there is hundreds if not thousands of top games released.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Page created in 0.113 seconds with 16 queries.