xbox-scene.com archived forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

xbox-scene.com forum restored.  registration disabled.  thanks to xboxexpert for the db dump and netham45 for cleaning it up!

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Windows 98  (Read 354 times)

'mxlegend99'

NULL
« Reply #30 on: June 20, 2003, 03:44:41 AM »

'

QUOTE (Morglum @ Jun 20 2003, 09:48 AM)
QUOTE (mxlegend99 @ Jun 20 2003, 09:42 AM)
Oh, and Windows2000, and 2003 only require those extra setting, because there server OS's, there not meant for an everyday machine.

Wrong again, windows 2000 pro is a workstation OS. I think im just wasting my time in this thread, no one seems to know WTF theyre talking about, i think i'll leave you all to squabble about incorrect facts for and amongst yourselves.

YOu are wasting your time. YOur not listening to a thing thats being said FFS. Nobody is agaisnt Linux, its just been stated windows is Easier. PLAIN AND SIMPLE
A workstation OS is used mainly for what..... a server. And either way, its not for gaming, which is the point i was actually making.

WTF is it with all these retards and talking about windows games not working right with wine or needing configuration, its fucking emulation! Nothing todo with linux it self. How many linux games can windows emulate 0, oh thats it then , windows is shit.

YOUR THE FUCKEN RETARD. Why the fuck would windows need to emulate it? It has no need, because all the games are made for Windows. Which is the point. again, plain and simple.

And 20mins to install XP, dont talk out your arsehole

WTF are you on about? 20 mins... thats right. I dont know what POS PC your using, for this to seem impossible to you. Its probably not an exact 20 mins, hence the "or so", but its less than half an hour.  And within an Hour and a Half, its setup for gaming, thats all that matters. I got all my drivers in, all my necessary updates,

You are fucken Ignorant. You have a go at me, for stating nothing but fact. How can you think, that because Linux is in your opinion better, that for every one else, it should be there choice of OS? Windows is Easier. Windows is simpler. Windows does what you want it to, with as little input as possible. Windows has features for if you fuck shit up. ie. Rollback Drivers etc.

Windows is more user friendly. Its easier, and more to the point, its BETTER FOR GAMING. Windows has a larger gaming variety than linux. Even with all the games Linux emulates, and its own, there is no reason for a gamer, to choose linux.
If you werent so up yourself, and didnt think your opinion was be all end all, you would see that.
I in no way had a go at you, and i stated fact, you stated opinion. ANd then you call all us retards for saying Windows is easier to use then Linux? ANd for saying Windows has more games....
And to back your theory up, you say windows cannot run any Linux games..... rolleyes.gif

I didnt intend to have any conflict, but you are an idiot. You dont take any persons posts into account, and you dont consider why the majority will like something... why must it be that if you have used it for 6yrs, and decided its easier to use, that it is?

'

'mxlegend99'

NULL
« Reply #31 on: June 20, 2003, 03:47:36 AM »

'
                BTW, im not posting to you again. Its clear to me, that your some idiot, who wont take one word in that post seriously, and in some way try and make out as if Linux is Easier, and is better for people etc.
I know that 99% of people agree with me that Windows is easier. And for those who dont, well, i'd love to see what logic makes them think that......
Im not saying Linux is hard, just that windows is easier, THATS ALL. Oh, and that its a way better platform for ease of gaming. Even when it emulates things, its as simple as clicking on the rom, and playing it......  

'

'luther349'

NULL
« Reply #32 on: June 20, 2003, 05:05:37 AM »

'
                i guess noone uses redhat lol. as for bochs its simply to slow vmware is alot better.

'

'kollision'

NULL
« Reply #33 on: June 20, 2003, 05:19:27 AM »

'
                Hey morglum I like your Elder Futhark.  FIRST PERSON I SEE WIT IT!!

'

'feflicker'

NULL
« Reply #34 on: June 20, 2003, 01:18:48 PM »

'
                The only point I wanted to make was that there is no argument that "Windows is easier to use for basic computing".

That is not true. Just because everyone learned windows first, doesn't mean it was easier to use.  biggrin.gif

If you took someone who had never used either, and taught them from scratch, I believe they could use Linux or Windows, with the SAME learning curve.  ohmy.gif

Just because you were taught on a windows system doesn't make it *easier*. That makes it more *comfortable*  wink.gif  

'

'mxlegend99'

NULL
« Reply #35 on: June 20, 2003, 02:09:43 PM »

'

QUOTE (feflicker @ Jun 20 2003, 11:18 PM)
The only point I wanted to make was that there is no argument that "Windows is easier to use for basic computing".

That is not true. Just because everyone learned windows first, doesn't mean it was easier to use.  biggrin.gif

If you took someone who had never used either, and taught them from scratch, I believe they could use Linux or Windows, with the SAME learning curve.  ohmy.gif

Just because you were taught on a windows system doesn't make it *easier*. That makes it more *comfortable*  wink.gif

Well, in my opinion, and my opinion alone, Gaming falls under basic computing. Now any person who wants to play a game, will have alot easier time doing so, under Windows.

Also, people who want to have the latest drivers, will have alot easier time. If you screw up, boot into Safe Mode and fix it.

Windows is alot easier, in that there are alot of ways, to correcting your mistakes. Sure, there maybe this in Linux, but its not as simple, and i dont know howto use it.

And i guarantee if i where starting of on both OS's right now, WIndows would have it in the bag, for its ease of setting up games and playing them. FOr the fact that i like the latest drivers, and i always use them, unless they seem buggy, i will just rollback.

morglum  however, was calling us retards for finding WIndows easier. Now sure, we may have been around windows for along time, but i do recall him saying he had been on Linux for 6years. Thats the exact same position as we are in. ANd no matter what way you look at it, the average simple installation of games that people want to play, is much simpler on Windows. Unless one of the later versions of Wine, has integrated into the OS, and made it so theres no need to run the program with Wine infront (last version i used was 2.?)

Now with noob people, they would like, put in game, auto start. Click install, then click icon once finished. And same for programs, theres nothing really that hard for windows users to figure out. (atleast not that any noob would worry about, i still got a friend who has trouble with MSN Messenger FFS, he dont know how to change his name etc. And he takes 2mins for a reply, because he cant find the keys on the keyboard wink.gif )

'

'mxlegend99'

NULL
« Reply #36 on: June 20, 2003, 02:18:39 PM »

'

QUOTE (feflicker @ Jun 20 2003, 11:18 PM)

one more thing. I wasnt taught on windows. I grew up on DOS. BOth Linux and Windows are much simpler than dos. My first PC didnt even have DOS on it. It was a Tandy PC of somesort. All i can remember is the BIOS i think, had instructions to boot of a floppy, and it had no hard drive. The PC was capable of almost nothing, besides whatever the floppy had.... then our 286 came, and we had 40megs.... goddamn i thought i owned the world cool.gif

WE had an OS before Windows 3.1, im not sure if it was an earlier Windows, or what (i was kinda young). But it wasnt nearly as good as when we first scored WIn3.1, that kicked ass. Then when 95 first came out we got it. I hated it for months. It was so different to what i had. Then i found out it had the program manager, and ran that..... i immediately saw how Windows 95 had improved on it, the ease of Start Menu, clicking of icons on hte desktop.

Sure, you always got a soft spot for what you learn on, i still love DOS.... But im also looking at this from 3rd Person perspective..... If i where fully noob to both, never touched a mouse/keyboard etc. Windows would appeal to me, as would it *most* people.

'

'feflicker'

NULL
« Reply #37 on: June 20, 2003, 05:45:00 PM »

'

Sure, you always got a soft spot for what you learn on, i still love DOS.... But im also looking at this from 3rd Person perspective..... If i where fully noob to both, never touched a mouse/keyboard etc. Windows would appeal to me, as would it *most* people.

Since you said so much, I am just gonna comment on the last paragraph, that pretty much summed up what you said...

I guess we can agree to disagree. I don't see how someone who has never seen Windows or KDE could tell the difference if it was the first time they were using a computer... It would look the same, and be the same to learn/use.

In fact, you can set 2000/XP to have a *theme* that looks just like KDE, or setup KDE to look EXACTLY like 2000/XP. <straight out of the box>  wink.gif

And "Basic Computing Needs" does not entail gaming. (That is your need, not a need required by most personal computer users) How many computers in the world have games loaded on them? Not many.... Most "personal" computers are used for document editing, email, web browsing, etc. Hell, most PC's in the US are just AOL terminals  jester.gif

'

'luther349'

NULL
« Reply #38 on: June 20, 2003, 07:24:15 PM »

'
                what bs. linux can run most windows game via winex but shhhhhhh he musent understand that at all. and abought 30% of all windoes apps run with standerd wine. as for linux vs windows linx has become mutch easer to use and run then it was in the old days. its pretty command line free now unless you whant to do some serious stuff suck as tweaking and customising the system to what you whant it to do.

but linux is still diffrent in many ways and not everyone likes change. kinda like windows 3.1 came out everyone screamed hell no we ant dumping dos for some hard to use windows program. now look windows is on 98% of all pcs there is.

so linux will slowly get accepted just as windows was its just a very slow prosses. as for the guy dissing linux screaming its hard to use and dont understand it. ill say you should relly take some time and sit down and try it and lern a litle abought it. i installed redhat 7.0 compleatly clueless on how to use it but i figured mine as well lern. now i would never get rid of it im running a dual boot of redhat 9.0 and winxp.

and dont worry abought messing it up thats the fun of lerning i destoryed my redhat 7.0 install so many times i lost count lol.

Edited by luther349, 21 June 2003 - 03:26 AM.

'

'HumanClay'

NULL
« Reply #39 on: June 20, 2003, 09:18:11 PM »

'
                Someone saying how Linux is so easy to understand for day to day use? Is that why people need a walkthrough just to unpack a ZIP file or just to install a program? All of that sort of this is commandline based and you ave to know what ur typing, not just fiddle around and figure it, not the avg user.

I mean get real people sure , Linux is cool , i have it running on my xbox and for UBER basic things like browse web and instand messaging sure it's fine...but If i want to do everythinhg I do now on my Linux PC you'd have to REALLY learn and study, and for most people they don't want that. I mean seriously are you telling me that downloading say a program off www.download.com for Linux and one for Windows that it is as easy to install that for both systems? And NO if you gave someone a Linux pc and a Windows and then they hadnt used either NATURALLY they'd think windows is easier because it is SIMPLER. That is a FACT.  It IS easier to use. NOOBs DO find it difficult, granted if u want to lisen to a cd,browse the web and instant mesage sure its CAKE but anything beyond that can become an ordeal for someone who doesn't use command line prompts and commands.

And  I thought i'd add this
i destoryed my redhat 7.0 install so many times i lost count lol.

EXACTLY, you got Linux , didn't know it and destroyed it. People don't like nuking their PC...

1) how do you get refunded from something that you download for FREE?

Hello?! They sell Mandrake and Redhat in stores. Comes with extra software packages....

Edited by HumanClay, 21 June 2003 - 05:23 AM.

'

'feflicker'

NULL
« Reply #40 on: June 20, 2003, 09:42:21 PM »

'
                What is with everyone saying that everything is "command prompt" driven? Sure, there is a powerful shell behind the OS, unlike Windows, but you can still do just about everything through the GUI... (Including all administrative functions). I can't speak for RedHat so much, but I use SCO w/ KDE, and it is equivalent to any other GUI OS.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

but If i want to do everythinhg I do now on my Linux PC you'd have to REALLY learn and study

We can all agree with that (atleast for the very near future). The keyword used was *everything*. We are talking about running Windows vs. Linux on the xbox. It makes no sense to emulate Windows from the xbox, when you can do what you need with Linux (basic personal computing). Be realistic, you can install Linux on your xbox, and get it to emulate Windows, but can't take the time to learn a little more about Linux? See the point we are making here?

Is that why people need a walkthrough just to unpack a ZIP file or just to install a program?

Those same people come to this forum and ask what a ".rar" file is, so what is the difference?

Downloading and installing a program in Linux is the same as Windows. You download the installer package (.exe or .msi in windows, .rpm in Linux) and you double-click it and watch it install. What is the difference (other than the number of programs available)?

http://download.com....=linux&tg=dl-20

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't understand why so many people resist Linux... An OS is an OS. A file is a file. A directory is a directory. Etc.   I am not scared to learn anything new. Once you understand what an OS is/does, it is just *another platform* dry.gif

Why pick one over the other because you "think it is easier". Easy is not always better! These people can spend countless hours playing video games and posting on the forum, but are too strapped for time to learn how to run another OS besides Windows?

Remember: Everyone signed up for AOL because it was "easier". Look where that got the internet!  jester.gif

Everyone knows Windows. It is such a joke when I see that on a resume... But when I see Linux, that makes me think "this person might not be cattle".  wink.gif  

'

'thr3311jd'

NULL
« Reply #41 on: June 20, 2003, 10:00:21 PM »

'
                maybe I should of put a Yes or No poll on this topic.. and then let people bitch about it  jester.gif  

'

'mxlegend99'

NULL
« Reply #42 on: June 20, 2003, 10:30:01 PM »

'

QUOTE (luther349 @ Jun 21 2003, 05:24 AM)
what bs. linux can run most windows game via winex but shhhhhhh he musent understand that at all. and abought 30% of all windoes apps run with standerd wine. as for linux vs windows linx has become mutch easer to use and run then it was in the old days. its pretty command line free now unless you whant to do some serious stuff suck as tweaking and customising the system to what you whant it to do.

but linux is still diffrent in many ways and not everyone likes change. kinda like windows 3.1 came out everyone screamed hell no we ant dumping dos for some hard to use windows program. now look windows is on 98% of all pcs there is.

so linux will slowly get accepted just as windows was its just a very slow prosses. as for the guy dissing linux screaming its hard to use and dont understand it. ill say you should relly take some time and sit down and try it and lern a litle abought it. i installed redhat 7.0 compleatly clueless on how to use it but i figured mine as well lern. now i would never get rid of it im running a dual boot of redhat 9.0 and winxp.

and dont worry abought messing it up thats the fun of lerning i destoryed my redhat 7.0 install so many times i lost count lol.

True, but thats not what the argument is about. It seems everybody is arguing different points biggrin.gif

The original one however, was that Windows is easier than Linux. Which it is. Now they are both capable of the exact same things, but all in all, a PC noobie would be better of on WIndows, if they intended to game etc.

And my XP1900 is gonna have adual boot like yours  wink.gif I have Windows 2003 on the first HD, with 3 Partitions. On the 3rd partition, is the install files for Mandrake 9.1 THen i got a blank HD for Mandrake to be put on, Well, i am about to format it anyways, it had WIn98 on it. And with my motherboard, i press F8 and choose which HDD to boot of. I am thinking of having a proper dual boot aswell, 2 OS on each HDD, WinXP/Win2003 on first, and Mandrake/98 on second..... but theres no reason for it other than i am bored. Honestly, and one of those 4 is more than enough to do me.... its just my backup PC. I only use it for storing files on LOL...... But when this topic came up, i decided to give Mandrake a go, the only Linux i have used is Gentoox, and let me tell you, that is command line driven.... if you had seen the process to install it, you would know what i mean.  

'

'mxlegend99'

NULL
« Reply #43 on: June 20, 2003, 10:35:12 PM »

'

QUOTE (Morglum @ Jun 20 2003, 05:57 AM)
You obviously never seen the new mandrake installer then, thats even nicer than anything ive ever seen in a windows system. And did you miss the part about my computer illiterate fiancee using linux and finding it easy, hell calling her computer illiterate is being kind aswell, shes down right retarded when it comes to computers  tongue.gif And theres nothing to configure with Linux, WTF release you using, Red Hat 2.0 or something? Almost everything is configured right from the install automatically. And like i said earlier, we're talking about XBOX not PC.

Heh and if a newbie uses root then they deserve to kill their system. KDE and GNOME both spit up a huge warning screen when you first log in as root saying you can kill your system from using root and they advise you to log in as a standard user.

I had just done with my Mandrake install, and granted it is beautiful. Its not as simple as you put though. I have 2 HDD, first one with 3 partitions. WHile it wasnt difficult, it wasnt as simple as windows, in that i had to direct it to where the folder it was installing from, and then setup partitions for it.
But it was *barely* harder, at worst. It did look nicer though, and it was simple to figure out if you read the screen, and knew where you put the files (i didnt at first, LOL. I couldnt remember which partition, so i restarted in 98, and moved em to E: for a simple install).

Sure, it looks nice, and is a great OS. BUt i still maintain that windows is much easier gaming platform. But being that the PC i put it on, rarely runs a game, its great for it. Its better than WIndows98, in that its on with Windows2003, and Win98 couldnt see Win2003 NTFS drives, but Linux can.

'

'Morglum'

NULL
« Reply #44 on: June 21, 2003, 02:35:45 AM »

'

QUOTE (kollision @ Jun 20 2003, 03:19 PM)
Hey morglum I like your Elder Futhark.� FIRST PERSON I SEE WIT IT!!

Thanks  beerchug.gif I was going to use the Futhork, but then i decided to use Futhark as thats where the futhork originated from.

Edited by Morglum, 21 June 2003 - 10:38 AM.

'
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Page created in 0.086 seconds with 16 queries.