xbox-scene.com archived forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

xbox-scene.com forum restored.  registration disabled.  thanks to xboxexpert for the db dump and netham45 for cleaning it up!

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Windows 98  (Read 303 times)

Takenover83

Windows 98
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2003, 08:21:28 PM »

I dont blame her much.  Linux is great, But I use windows most of the time. For the simple fact that it is point and click.

And I dont care how automatic Linux is when you 1st install it. Everyone has to install stuff to suit there needs.  And once the main stream user see's that its no walk in the ball park, they will ask for a refund.

Things Windows users dont want to do.

Type commands
Install from a shell
Configure permissions
spend hours compiling software etc...
Figure out how to run all those windows games and apps on linux

The list goes on and on. Linux is not SIMPLE for most people.

Edited by Takenover83, 20 June 2003 - 04:22 AM.

Morglum

Windows 98
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2003, 08:23:06 PM »

QUOTE (feflicker @ Jun 20 2003, 06:18 AM)
I think it is ridiculous when people recite nonsense about Linux from "Computer World" articles from 3-4 years ago~!  blink.gif

I couldnt agree more with you on that comment and the rest of your post. Most people are getting scared off by hearsay, sure in the past linux was a pain to setup if you didnt know what you were doing, but now ANYONE can set it up, it takes no more skill than popping in a cd and clicking a few buttons.

Morglum

Windows 98
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2003, 08:29:05 PM »

QUOTE (Takenover83 @ Jun 20 2003, 06:21 AM)
I dont blame her much.� Linux is great, But I use windows most of the time. For the simple fact that it is point and click.

And I dont care how automatic Linux is when you 1st install it. Everyone has to install stuff to suit there needs.� And once the main stream user see's that its no walk in the ball park, they will ask for a refund.

Things Windows users dont want to do.

Type commands
Install from a shell
Configure permissions
spend hours compiling software etc...
Figure out how to run all those windows games and apps on linux

The list goes on and on. Linux is not SIMPLE for most people.

1) how do you get refunded from something that you download for FREE?
2) linux GUIs are point and click.
3) you dont need to type commands in linux, it has MANY GUIs to pick from, shell is optional.
4) you have configure permissions now with windows, look at all releases 2000 and up.
5) you dont need to compile, 99% of all software is distributed as binary along with source.
6) you dont need windows games for linux, it has its own, read my previous post.
7) there are more apps for linux that there is windows, and 95% of them are FREE.

And as for your list going on and on, lets hear some more, ive not heard anything solid enough to stick.  beerchug.gif

Oh and as for you saying you dont blame her, you can change linux to log users in just by clicking an icon how XP is. I wont have it setup that way, i hate seeing the stupid little icons, i like a real login screen.

Edited by Morglum, 20 June 2003 - 04:50 AM.

Takenover83

Windows 98
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2003, 08:50:51 PM »

Im sorry I dont have all night to just to get the point across that linux isnt for most people yet.

*I did type Windows games and apps*

I know there are thousands of games and apps for linux, but that doesnt amount to a quarter of whats out there for windows.

I can see your are going to defend Linux to the death. Which is ok by me. I guess saying Windows is more user friendly is a crime or something. But I will put your theory to test. I will throw Linux(mandrake) to one of my friends and let you know how he handles it. This will be fun. I guarantee my phone will be ringing off the hook. Person is the same age as me. Soon as he relizes he cant run most of the Hot games that our out today(maybe with winex but he dont know that),  he will be down my throat.

Edited by Takenover83, 20 June 2003 - 04:51 AM.

Morglum

Windows 98
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2003, 08:57:23 PM »

LOL, so now you're talking about it emulating windows, emulation is a whole differant topic, you're getting stupid now, you clearly dont know what you're talking about. If you want something that will not only "emulate" but RUN windows flawlessly on a linux system then get VMware. You cant keep changing direction of topic once you realise you're losing, and there are thousands MORE apps for linux than there is for windows, read over what ive said again properly.

And talking about wine, take a look at this link, it CLEARLY states wine isnt suitable for general use.

http://www.winehq.com/?page=about

Edited by Morglum, 20 June 2003 - 05:00 AM.

Takenover83

Windows 98
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2003, 09:01:16 PM »

Dont get wrong im not dumb. Still a newb at linux. I Dont remember asking to use VMWARE to emulate the whole OS. Only mentioning that if he knew what WINEX was he MIGHT be able to get some of these newer games to work. But doubtful. You totally took it the wrong way. Getting a little overwelmed to quickly eh?

Takenover83

Windows 98
« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2003, 09:02:57 PM »

Losing?

I didnt know this was a competition.

I thought it was a debate. Actually this started off by saying would win98 take off. But I guess you want to turn it into a competition. If so im outa here. Go find someone else to compete with.

Edited by Takenover83, 20 June 2003 - 05:04 AM.

Morglum

Windows 98
« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2003, 09:03:53 PM »

Your trying to say linux is poor simply because it wont run windows applications nativly, thats like bitching MACs wont run Windows applications, i hate to break it to you but windows executables are NOT a standard and nore will they ever be, there is no need for any other OS to support them. Then saying you'll have trouble with wine, which isnt even classed as alpha, thats just retarded. If you're so desperate to use your windows trash on linux use VMware, else dont use linux at all.

Edited by Morglum, 20 June 2003 - 05:05 AM.

Takenover83

Windows 98
« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2003, 09:08:40 PM »

Im not. Because I will just use Windows to play my games.

But If I was to give my friend a copy of Linux he would be angry that he couldnt play most of his games he owns. You dont think I was talking about me do ya? And your are no longer in a state of mind to where I want to discuss this with you, Your choice of words is not what I would call apealing reading(retarded, stupid etc...).

*ill just edit this post*

Whats wrong with playing Pc games on a pc! If you have all those games why let them go to waiste? You do want to play them right? Doesnt sound stupid at all.

*my final post sence this thread is just really gone to hell, and yes I hope Windows moves on and we find ways to enhance it on xbox.(thats is what the topic is about) Didnt mean to start a "win vs linux" war lol

Edited by Takenover83, 20 June 2003 - 05:22 AM.

Morglum

Windows 98
« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2003, 09:17:56 PM »

Anyone dumb enough to think they can play their windows games nativly on linux needs taking behind the shed and beating with a lead pipe, with any luck it'll knocksome sence into them. Thats like buying an N64 and expecting to be able to play playstation games on it. I dont know how anyone could even think you can play windows based games on a linux system, theyre 2 totally differant systems.

And my state of mind is utter dispair, i cant believe how utterly stupid some people can be, no bloody wonder the worlds in the poor state it is, there so many stupid people populating it.

Edited by Morglum, 20 June 2003 - 05:18 AM.

TB_88

Windows 98
« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2003, 11:19:23 PM »

I installed debian linux on my xbox and i needed to be root to get the sound working andd im a linux noob so how could i learn to fix the sound...

mxlegend99

Windows 98
« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2003, 11:38:50 PM »

QUOTE (Morglum @ Jun 20 2003, 07:03 AM)
Your trying to say linux is poor simply because it wont run windows applications nativly, thats like bitching MACs wont run Windows applications, i hate to break it to you but windows executables are NOT a standard and nore will they ever be, there is no need for any other OS to support them. Then saying you'll have trouble with wine, which isnt even classed as alpha, thats just retarded. If you're so desperate to use your windows trash on linux use VMware, else dont use linux at all.

I never saw him knock Linux as an OS. All i say was him saying that *most* people, would prefer Windows. And you know what? I definitely would. WIndows is by far easier, there is nothing to it. YOu insert CD ROm, install yada yada, you got an OS, which is setup for your PC. Now when i last tried Linux on my PC, there was alot more to it than that. Granted, i didnt go for an easy install, i went for gentoox. IT was murder. I had to choose what stage i started at, and if i wanted it to be optimised for my system, that would be stage1. And then in compile times etc. It would take forever.
I havent tried Mandrake, so im not sure of its Installer. But i have KDE and WMaker, and they are nowhere near as simple of an interface as Windows XP is. WindowsXP setting up permissions? WTF? YOu said all OS's 200 and up requirte this, well XP doesnt. Sure, Win2000 might, and 2003 does (i am pissed of by that, granted. I put it on one of my otehr PCs....) but XP is simple. Install, play. As for Service Packs, the reason that all that would of taken so long, was probably due to slow connection.
I can install Windows XP (20mins or so), put in all my drivers (video, chipset, sound etc.), put in Service pack 1, and all the other little security thigns that may be new at the time, and all in less than an hour and a half.
And as for there being more apps on Linux, who cares? There is an app for every linux version of it, or one thats similar. Hell the reason for there being so many, is alot are replacements for the WIndows Versions (ie. word etc.). ANd till now, in most parts its fairly similar either way (if you where to use Mandrake with installer), but when it comes to gaming, windows kills it. Sure, Linux may have its share of Linux games, and emulate directx, but isnt the point being argued which is simpler?
WIndows XP = Put in cd, install game, click icon.
Linux = (for the same game you would use in XP) running wine, then setting up the program, then running the program through wine. Sure, its possible for icons with the right command line to launch it, but i know at first, its not so easy to figure out.

Fact of the matter = People like simple shit. I do too. Install a game and click an icon. Play the game. Not worry about having to launch other programs for it to work, and wait for new releases of emulators (wine) for it to work.
BUt then all this is assuming your using a game which dont come on Linux, as most dont..... or atleast the ones i play.

But thats not to knock Linux, i like it. Its nice, not too hard to use, and if you persist, it can do everything that windows can. Its just not as simple.... but for the price, hell who cares. Im happy with Gentoox on my Xbox, and for what im using it for, no, Windows98 isnt needed... but guess what, im putting it on anyway.... go figure:P

Reason = Because i can, plain and simple. Nothing like showing off what the Xbox can really do to your mates who prefer PS2. beerchug.gif  

mxlegend99

Windows 98
« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2003, 11:42:10 PM »

ANd thats pretty long, so to summarise it:

Windows = Easy to use, alot simpler, and alot easier for people who like to play games.

Linux = Not as easy, can be simple when you put in a GUI, but when it comes to games, is why people would prefer Windows.

Oh, and Windows2000, and 2003 only require those extra setting, because there server OS's, there not meant for an everyday machine...(i use Win2003 on one tho, its nice and fast, once its setup). CAnt really say about how they are harder, when most people wont be trying to use them..... thats why WindowsXP was created. To put an OS with all the other stuff, into a dummies package biggrin.gif  

Morglum

Windows 98
« Reply #28 on: June 19, 2003, 11:47:26 PM »

WTF is it with all these retards and talking about windows games not working right with wine or needing configuration, its fucking emulation! Nothing todo with linux it self. How many linux games can windows emulate 0, oh thats it then , windows is shit. Thats the mentality of most of you know nothings. And XP does need file permissions setting up, it just depends what options you pick when installing, you can set it to either keep each users space private or make it public, try reading the screen alittle more carefully next time insted of being click happy. And 20mins to install XP, dont talk out your arsehole  laugh.gif  laugh.gif  laugh.gif  

Morglum

Windows 98
« Reply #29 on: June 19, 2003, 11:48:50 PM »

QUOTE (mxlegend99 @ Jun 20 2003, 09:42 AM)
Oh, and Windows2000, and 2003 only require those extra setting, because there server OS's, there not meant for an everyday machine.

Wrong again, windows 2000 pro is a workstation OS. I think im just wasting my time in this thread, no one seems to know WTF theyre talking about, i think i'll leave you all to squabble about incorrect facts for and amongst yourselves.

Edited by Morglum, 20 June 2003 - 07:51 AM.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Page created in 1.689 seconds with 15 queries.