xbox-scene.com archived forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

xbox-scene.com forum restored.  registration disabled.  thanks to xboxexpert for the db dump and netham45 for cleaning it up!

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Cxbx (Xbox1 Emulator) Update  (Read 209 times)

'_zlinky'

NULL
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2008, 11:59:22 AM »

'
               @yaazz, The whole xbe -> exe thing, that's for HLE purposes (which afaik is a form of static binary translation) and only Cxbx does that.  Xeon however does not.  I'm not sure what Xeon does, but I'm sure it's some form of CPU virtualization.  So you don't exactly HAVE to convert from xbe -> exe even when using HLE.  Even though this is a highly efficient idea, it does have some flaws.  There are some CPU exceptions that when occur on a PC, it causes a crash.  On an Xbox, it does nothing to interrupt the execution of code.  Plus since Xbox runs at ring0, Xbox allows code to be written at the lowest levels possible such as writing to the GPU registers or framebuffer directly, privelaged instructions such as WBINVD, and direct access to nearly all devices and memory.  So if a game decides to do some low-level accesses to hardware, it's going to crash that .exe file.  There are ways around this by going into the exception filter and writing special hacks for game specific problems, but for every game, that wouldn't be worth it.

What I was trying to explain in my above post is that when LLEing Xbox you can't expect ease of emulation.  Even emulating Xbox via HLE is not an easy task either.  It requires you to have multiple XDK versions so you can create digital signatures.  Once those digital signatures are found, you'll have to locate the actual Xbox code within the xbe and replace it with PC code.  If you want a better understanding of how this works, read this: http://www.caustik.c...ad/progress.htm

I'm not trying to act like I know everything, but I've done my fair share or homework and research...

Edited by _zlinky, 06 December 2008 - 09:00 PM.

'

'tristanx'

NULL
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2008, 06:22:20 PM »

'
               this is a good thing.

maybe this emu could be used when and if the 360 is fully modded.

'
Pages: 1 [2]

Page created in 0.137 seconds with 14 queries.