xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Ltd Editon Green Xbox Modding  (Read 166 times)

stanneh

• Archived User
Ltd Editon Green Xbox Modding
« on: June 08, 2003, 04:55:00 PM »

:) Hi all im a new member but i have read this forum for about 2 days now i have read so many awesome faq's and step-by-step guide's i am very confident with the info here i cant do nothing i cant fix with patients and maybe a lil cash thanks again to all involved in the forum.

ok here goes i have just baught my first xbox i waited until now becouse everyone i knew had one so i had no real need for one im a very happy pc gamer indeed but i have allways been interested in all things cool and lets face it the xbox is just that and may i add only becouse of this online community of hard working groups of individuals expressing themselfs to do what they want even if it means breaking the barriers down that stand in their way.
for now i have just ordered an xecuter2 mod chip and im going to use a 120gig H/D which i will purchase over the next week
i wanted to know if anyone has used any neon lights inside an xbox or atleast the cool looking case fans for pc case modding i want to use a clear acrylic fan with blue led's and a blue neon tube i would use the green lights but i fear it may not look bright enough to give an excellent glow im also wondering if it is fine to totally leave out the metal cover underneath the lid of the box blocking my view of the inside my plans are actually relying on being able to do this for obvious reasons.

i have just a question or 2 for now i will be very appreciative of any help thanks in advance!!

Q1: at the moment i am considering both neon tube light or the neon string i have seen the neon string that is usb powered is it possible to wire a usb input inside my xbox or would it be wiser to cut the usb end off and solder the string power wires to a certain point inside the xbox if i do use a neon tube light i will connect it to either the hard drive power supply or the dvd im is it right the dvd power supply is not the same as pc ones? and im positive the H/D power must be the same as pc? if so thats my power source if i use a tube.

q2: i want to add a new heatsink and fan to the processor only for cosmetic reasons but i think it will look superb theo ne i have in mind has a speed adjusting knob which i plan to fit for extrnal use at the back and the fan on the h/s will also be a clear acrylic with blue led's and i will be using the same fan for the case too.

im quietly confident what i want to do is pretty streight forward given some patients and a little innovation can anyone see anywhere that may cause me trouble in any of my plans if anyone has any good ideas and advice for me its all very welcome thanks for reading all appologies for creating a massive first post i promiss i will try to keep it al short and sweet from now on cheers lads :D P.S where can i find a cool new jewel for the middle of my xbox?.

Senates684

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2003, 05:46:00 PM »

Q1.  Use a 4'' cold cathode...neons draw alot of power.

Q2.  I have never done it myself, but its a good idea.

Mastermods.com has jewels, and no remorse 666 will sell 3D jewels in about a week....look for his topic...

stanneh

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2003, 05:58:00 PM »

Thanks for the tip i will be buying what i need in the next day or so i have been thinking of trying to get a clear light as the LE green case is transparent it will glow perfectly can i get one of those? it wouldnt even need to bee a strip tube either it could be any white light which could actually make the job easier and save a lot of space hassle. :beer:

{{909}}

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2003, 06:09:00 PM »

Q2..whats the point, u cant see it..a PC one wont fit properly either as it clips on differently

the greenbox is good for mods, i have one, you will see that the inner metal shell has holes all over the inside, these will house 5mm LEDs perfectly, upto now ive done the pad inserted LED mod and i plan to add a HD access led, mod enable led and a network acess led.

stanneh

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2003, 06:30:00 PM »

whats the point?  :)  its what i want to do and to be very honest i think i am going to totally do away with the standard housing for the hard drive and the dvd drive i dont intend to creat a disgusting xbox i have seen a couple of real bad efforts that i would say the standard xbox lookes way better i want to make something out of my ltd edition xbox that is original and far from clutter'd which is why i feel the housing of the hard drive and the dvd drive must go i have seen clear acrylic gpu fans for geforces with led's on them which could possibly fit on the cpu and the gpu of the xbox which will make my life a ton easier im in no rush with this job im going to spend a lot of time even if its only for a small amount of work.  :beer:

stanneh

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2003, 06:37:00 PM »

a new thaught for the jewel here

my uncle molds glass for a living he does allsorts of artistic things i plan to go and see him at his work shop today and im taking the lid of my xbox with me i am going to have him to design a coloured glass jewell im still thinking of what logo to use as it can be i n a different colour to the rest of the jewel but the main thing for now is to get my uncle to creat a jewel with the right dimensions and design to fit perfect im thingking its probably going to be installed by putting a lip at the bottom so when its pushed up in to the lid the lip on the bottom of the jewel can sit snug against thelid of the case with light enough glass i tiny bit of glue or clear adhesive tape and it will fit secure and will look good with the light coming through the different coloured glass. :P

stanneh

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2003, 06:44:00 PM »

after looking at this post of someone elses modded LE xbox " http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?act...ST&f=24&t=57208   " i will definately be using a clear light and will definately be removing the housings to let the light flow right through the xbox my intention here is also to preserve the xbox so that im not doing anything i cannot reverse in other words i would like to be able to remove the mods and be able to make it look like its brand new again. :)

Senates684

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2003, 07:09:00 PM »

so how you gunna work out that HD and DVD thing? gunna use lexan to mold one?

stanneh

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2003, 07:27:00 PM »

hehe its a work in progress but i will sort out some sort of cradle to hold it all what ever it is it has to be something un noticable and i can tell you now it wont be made from plastic.

Senates684

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2003, 07:31:00 PM »

are you just going to cut out the bottom or something....?  the trays have screw holes and legs on em for screws you know...

stanneh

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2003, 07:41:00 PM »

its going to be a lot of work but to be honest i think im basically going to remove everything from the case that isnt needed i must say i will be getting most of the work done by my brothers their both engineers and love xbox's too i want to preserve every original part inside that i do not need and get my brothers to help design a new way to assemble the whole machine as i said its a lot of work but its a project to pass the time away and im not rushing anything i will take pictures of everything that i do each step of the way and hopefully i will come up with something thats not only original but something that will prove to be worth the work. i would like to add i will allways let it be known i had a lot of help on this from my brothers and will allways give credit to them and if my uncle comes good with the coloured glass jewell i will see if he can supply them in different designs for a reasonable price but thats for another day i will post any news of them and a picture of my own when its done aswell. :beer:

Senates684

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2003, 07:45:00 PM »

yeah...those jewels would be kinda cool....get me one while your over there ^.^

stanneh

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2003, 07:50:00 PM »

lol give me a chance talk my uncle in to doing it for me and he is a buisness man he will probably love the idea i will show him whats going on with the xbox scene and show him there would be a market for it i meen seriously they would cost pennys to make im guessing. :D

stanneh

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2003, 02:20:00 AM »

lil update i have been working all week making some $$$ for mods so i havent had time to think but i had time this morning to put my X2 chip in and 120gb wd H/D took out the heat shield to expose a few things annd im now looking to make a a new cage for iside that will expose everything and give me somewhere else to screw in the hard drive and xdvd drive also i have talked to my uncle about making me a new jewel from coloured glass its all good i just have to call in to his workshop with case when i got time and he will get to work im thinking as close to the same colour green as possible as the LE xbox and just a simple gold leaf xbox logo.

dzv

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2003, 12:03:00 PM »

Something like this?  A couple more pics here.  I plan to do something about the DVD and HDD cradle too, when I get the time :)

(IMG:http://www.ozxmods.com/images/xs/LE-Glowing-02.jpg)