xbox-scene.com archived forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

xbox-scene.com forum restored.  registration disabled.  thanks to xboxexpert for the db dump and netham45 for cleaning it up!

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8

Author Topic: Tutorial: Fix E74 / No Video Errors  (Read 2289 times)

[AD]

Tutorial: Fix E74 / No Video Errors
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2008, 04:10:43 PM »

How long do you heat the area up for?

brandogg

« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2008, 09:31:32 PM »

Not very long. Maybe 1 minute altogether tops - the idea is that you gradually heat up the board, just don't go blasting 1000F right away. First heat the bottom of the board, moving the gun in small circles  or waves, slowly getting a little bit closer/warmer, then do the same to the top - first around the GPU, then on the chip itself. You need to keep the system still while you do this - place it on some type of rack or between 2 chairs or something so you can quickly switch between the top and bottom of the board.

pimpmaul69

« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2008, 12:05:44 AM »

e74 has nothing to do with the ana/hana chip. i have fixed it everytime (100% of the time) by reflowing the gpu.

Wilhelm_I

« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2008, 05:13:41 AM »

e74 has nothing to do with the ana/hana chip. i have fixed it everytime (100% of the time) by reflowing the gpu.

Well, you got lucky then, in my case it was definitely a pin of the ANA-chip which lost contact because pushing it onto the mainboard made the 360 boot...
When I moved my finger away the screen got weird artifacts over the whole screen and the color changed slightly
And I did not take it under enough pressure to make the GPU balls get contact again(nothing like the penn-fix or so) and I did the X-Clamp replacement like 2 month before which fixed it the first time.
So it might have been the GPU in the first place but it was definitely the ANA-chip when it failed the second time...

Edited by Wilhelm_I, 08 April 2008 - 01:14 PM.

jimwross

« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2008, 07:42:50 AM »

I think its been pretty well established that the E74 Error has to do with the connection between the ANA / HANA / failure of the Scaler Chip to the GPU

towerblocks

« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2008, 08:40:50 AM »

Nice tutorial, Anyone know where to get a ANA chip heatsink from?

jimwross

« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2008, 10:33:39 AM »

You'd have to figure out how to attach it too... but I don't think its the ANA chip thats really getting to hot, i'm fairly certain its from the GPU getting really hot and melting the connection between the two...

Wilhelm_I

« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2008, 12:07:30 PM »

I used these they are perfect for the whole mainboard...
There are 8 in each pack.
I put one on each RAM block and one on the southbridge and combined 4 of them to "build" a bigger heatsink that perfectly covers the ana-chip
They are cheap and work very well.
I bought my copper heatsinks for 2.90€ which is approx 5 US$ aluminium costs a bit less
Here is the link http://www.thermalta...-C002526BGA.htm

[AD]

« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2008, 04:00:45 PM »

Followed this tonight and it worked a treat biggrin.gif

-=AD=-

jimwross

« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2008, 06:15:56 PM »

' date='Apr 8 2008, 06:36 PM' post='4253693']
Followed this tonight and it worked a treat biggrin.gif

-=AD=-

Glad to hear it.  When I initially tried to find info on how to fix the e74, there was little to nothing to go off of.

Boobers

« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2008, 04:50:02 AM »

Just to confirm one point.

You use the Heat Gun on the motherboard with the Heat Sinks ON???  or OFF???

B

Wilhelm_I

« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2008, 05:37:56 AM »

Just to confirm one point.

You use the Heat Gun on the motherboard with the Heat Sinks ON???  or OFF???

B

OFF is better as the thermal compound cant be used for temperatures higher than 120�C and if you heat it up too much the pressure might flatten the solderballs below the GPU which would wreck it, on the pictures he had them ON though

Boobers

« Reply #27 on: April 09, 2008, 06:15:34 AM »

Kewl.  Thanx  biggrin.gif

On another note, I am glad to see confirmed that using Goo Gone is a good thing.

One of the hardest part of doing the 3RROD fix (at least for me) was the finger-breaking cleaning of the old Heat Sink compound using alcohol.. I came across a little can of Goo Gone Extreme in my wife's cleaning cupboard.  What took me almost 20 mins to do with alcohol, I can do in 2 mins with the Goo Gone.  And the results are 20 times better..

My only concern was that the strong cleaner in the Goo Gone might harm the structure or the circuitry of the GPU and CPU.  But I haven't seen any thing like that.  Knock on wood..  biggrin.gif

Thanx again.

B

Edited by Boobers, 09 April 2008 - 02:16 PM.

jimwross

« Reply #28 on: April 09, 2008, 07:50:00 AM »

Kewl.  Thanx  biggrin.gif

On another note, I am glad to see confirmed that using Goo Gone is a good thing.

One of the hardest part of doing the 3RROD fix (at least for me) was the finger-breaking cleaning of the old Heat Sink compound using alcohol.. I came across a little can of Goo Gone Extreme in my wife's cleaning cupboard.  What took me almost 20 mins to do with alcohol, I can do in 2 mins with the Goo Gone.  And the results are 20 times better..

My only concern was that the strong cleaner in the Goo Gone might harm the structure or the circuitry of the GPU and CPU.  But I haven't seen any thing like that.  Knock on wood..  biggrin.gif
Thanx again.

B

Just clean the googone residue off w/ alcohol afterwards

Boobers

« Reply #29 on: April 09, 2008, 10:58:38 AM »

That's exactly what I do for the exact reason..

We must think alike..

I am sooo sorry for you.   biggrin.gif   biggrin.gif

B

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8

Page created in 0.132 seconds with 14 queries.