xbox-scene.com archived forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

xbox-scene.com forum restored.  registration disabled.  thanks to xboxexpert for the db dump and netham45 for cleaning it up!

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]

Author Topic: Tutorial: Fix E74 / No Video Errors  (Read 2253 times)

jrw

Tutorial: Fix E74 / No Video Errors
« Reply #105 on: April 15, 2011, 11:00:18 PM »

I just did this to my launch 360 (oct 2005 build) and it worked! I was getting E74 error, I tried xclamp fix,pennies, towel trick, regreased gpu / cpu and still no luck, So finally I tried doing exactly as described in this post (only did bottom, removed gpu heatsink,cleaned off gpu grease before using heat gun). I also put foil around the blue outline areas just in case.

Not sure if this is a longterm fix but still must say Thanks for the info  smile.gif

Quick update, This fix lasted 9 months before RROD (E74 again) so I'd say the heatgun trick is fairly effective, It ran flawless for those 9 months no crashes / freezes,  I used a heatgun again and it's back up and running.

I noticed when I took it apart the gpu heatsink bolts were a little loose so that may of been part of the issue this time around, but I used heatgun just in case.

2005 launch day unit still in action lol.

Edited by jrw, 16 April 2011 - 07:01 AM.

freakgrad45

« Reply #106 on: May 17, 2011, 01:17:27 AM »

Where is the solder on the xbox mobo?

KaptinKrunK

« Reply #107 on: July 19, 2011, 09:51:19 PM »

i hope this works im goin to try it with a heat gun tom, ive been trying the way llama tells you to reflow.  its possible your xbox might need reballin muhaha.gif ill let you know how it goes for me, i have taken a very close look under my and notice that one of the things under looks black, if it doesnt work tom ill show you

e74 has nothing to do with the ana/hana chip. i have fixed it everytime (100% of the time) by reflowing the gpu.

i hope this works im goin to try it with a heat gun tom, ive been trying the way llama tells you to reflow.  its possible your xbox might need reballin muhaha.gif ill let you know how it goes for me, i have taken a very close look under my and notice that one of the things under looks black, if it doesnt work tom ill show you

e74 has nothing to do with the ana/hana chip. i have fixed it everytime (100% of the time) by reflowing the gpu.

ShiZor9

« Reply #108 on: July 23, 2011, 10:09:19 AM »

I had two Halo 3 Xbox's Getting E74 right after a RROD fix. SO, got my $9 Harbor Freight Heat Gun on low, and a couple minutes on the bottom side of mobo to hana chipwith foil covering everything and re applying artic silver xbox plays fine. Both were little slaves during some GTA 4 cutscenes and high speed drives to work the GPU. Each going strong after 3 hours of gameplay.

samoranj

« Reply #109 on: September 30, 2011, 09:09:36 PM »

Ok, so I've followed the guidance in this thread because I originally had an E74 error with one red light.  After adding the x-clamp fix and heating the designated region with a heat gun on both sides of the board, I let my xbox cool down and am now getting two flashing red lights on the left side along with no video at all.

I've also ensured that I only added only enough arctic silver to cover the tops of the chips with a thin layer prior to reinstalling the heat sinks...

Will going through this whole process again fix this issue? Help!!!

protivakid

« Reply #110 on: January 26, 2012, 06:24:39 PM »

This did work for me on three different Xbox 360's. One thing that was not mentioned was how long to do it for. I used the heat gun on high for 2.5 minutes and then let the 360 cool back down for several hours. After this I put it back together enough to run and gave it a shot.

One 360 was fixed after the first try with the heat gun, another took 5 times. Eventually all 3 went back to E74 after 1 - 6 hours of gaming on them so I repeated the steps and got them working again. Re-testing all 3 now by playing games on them to see if they stay fixed.

One thing I will add is DO NOT do the other method some have suggested of unplugging the fans and letting the unit overheat to try to fix the E74. You will only further damage the console.

GlassOnion

« Reply #111 on: March 14, 2012, 09:27:09 PM »

I found a Falcon at a yard sale for $50 with several controllers and several guitars and the RB drum set.  Of course, when I got it home it had the E74 error.  I followed your tutorial and it seems to be working quite well now (several nights of playing).

However, I am having one strange issue.

After putting everything back together, I notice that the ring of lights on the console doesn't work at all.  There is also no light in the center showing that the console is on.
On top of that, I can't sync any controllers wirelessly to the xbox.  If I sync them on the play and charge cable then disconnect the cable, they work fine on wireless.

I wouldn't mind too much, except that I can't sync any of the wireless guitars or the drumset.  I've tried holding the sync button on the console, every order I can think of (controller/console/both) and nothing seems to work.

I even ordered a replacement ROL card (the card with the lights that plugs into the front of the console) and it has the same problem.

Any ideas of what I should try?

Thanks for the awesome E74 fix!!

scientwist

« Reply #112 on: July 29, 2012, 03:23:39 PM »

I wouldn't suggest this but I figured what the heck.  Stripped everything down cleaned chips under heat sink.  I didn't have a heat gun or hairdryer so I used a hot butter knife that I bent the tip on.  Just heated the knife on the stove and when it got hot placed it on chip and think I could actually hear it re-flow the solder.  Plugged board back in and the thing booted up no more E74 smile.gif

Have  one I fixed for a little bit with the xclamp fix and I might try this to see if I can bring it back to life.  its way more dead though worth a try.

Wish I could have my Error420 nick sad.gif

Edited by scientwist, 29 July 2012 - 11:29 PM.

scientwist

« Reply #113 on: July 29, 2012, 05:34:23 PM »

I must have figured something out >:)  Just tried my Hot Butter Knife trick on one that basically had no signs of life other than 3 red lights of death and nothing at all would show up on the screen not even a error message.  The second one I tried this on had the xclamp replacement already done and that only lasted a few months before it died hard. Its been dead and in the attic for years, which is great because it hasn't been updated for years.  Think I might try to get some homebrew going by JTAGing it.  Just thought I would share what I found.  Others have probably already done this and just haven't read about it.

scientwist

« Reply #114 on: July 29, 2012, 06:57:22 PM »

Thank God for backups.  Still have my backup from 2006 of my 360's Sammy DVD smile.gif  Gunna let this sucker run for awhile and see how it doe's.  Gunna have to pull my Sammy outta another box that has a totally different issue and get the firmware for this box back on it, the thing still has blades smile.gif

Edited by scientwist, 30 July 2012 - 02:58 AM.

xboxhaxorz

« Reply #115 on: August 13, 2012, 07:42:02 PM »

e74 is a bad gpu, i supply thousands of GPUs online as well as use them in my shop and we sometimes get e74 on them which is fixed by putting a new gpu on it

in the past i did flows on them and they worked for a while but e74 is an issue with the chip not the board

for example if you take a e74 gpu and put it on another console it will give it e74

Avinitlarge

« Reply #116 on: August 17, 2012, 03:29:43 AM »

e74 is a bad gpu, i supply thousands of GPUs online as well as use them in my shop and we sometimes get e74 on them which is fixed by putting a new gpu on it

in the past i did flows on them and they worked for a while but e74 is an issue with the chip not the board

for example if you take a e74 gpu and put it on another console it will give it e74

I am starting to think this too. Reball or reflow, a few days later/weeks later, E74.

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]

Page created in 0.131 seconds with 15 queries.