xbox-scene.com archived forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

xbox-scene.com forum restored.  registration disabled.  thanks to xboxexpert for the db dump and netham45 for cleaning it up!

Author Topic: Break Exploit? Error 13 When Rename Xboxdash.xbe  (Read 232 times)

gwood1234

Break Exploit? Error 13 When Rename Xboxdash.xbe
« on: January 18, 2013, 02:09:26 PM »

Jesus! This just happened to me too whilst trying to set XBMC as my default dash! Felt sick with panic, thought I'd messed it up permanently. Managed to fix it luckily, just popped in Splinter Cell as I already had the game saves on the HD and then could reinstall the softmod- phew! God bless you Tom Clancy!

shambles1980

« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2013, 04:17:10 AM »

XBMC should be set up as a dash using a shortcut..

if you get the "hexen for hard disk drive not dvd" i edited, then you can tell that to install xbmc to E or F then tell it to switch dash. and tell it to use xbmc on E or F .

i updated the xbmc on that so its quite recent..

you can replace the xbmc with your xbmc.. it will be in E:\apps\XBMC

That will make xbmc the main dash..
you should not rename your dash files.

also its best not to bump up an ancient thread, the correct netiquet would be to make a new thread.

fallenangle

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2013, 07:45:54 AM »

I was going to post something very similar to that as well ^.

I've noticed that a few other people coming here recently have tried to install XBMC in a similarly misguided way not seeming to have realised there is a purpose designed shortcut available. Doing it the way gwood1234described you'd need the whole of XBMC extracted to same drive as the renamed .xbe for it to work.

Simple rules: NEVER mess with any xboxdash.xbe, check what .xbe is actually launching your existing main dash before doing anything and never delete an .xbe.

I wouldn't say don't rename a .xbe because isn't that exactly what Hexen or other utility method is doing? It puts the XBMC shortcut, usually on the E:\ drive, pointing at XBMC in the Apps folder, also usually on the E: drive. The shortcut is re-named to that of the previous main dash .xbe as part of this process.

Before Hexen the method recommended here was to do the same thing and once you'd confirmed the shortcut worked rename it to the existing main dash .xbe name.

My suggestion has always been that rather than replace the existing dash.xbe for whatever reason it should be left where it is but itself also renamed to something also bootable.

That way if XBMC was messed up for some reason (surely with updates more likely than with any other dashes) the Xbox would still boot to the old dash.

There a list of bootable .xbe names and their boot order that can be found somewhere here.  

sexus6

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2008, 01:22:05 PM »

I crash xbox dash. The error is number 13. XBMC does not starts, and one evox disc (to rescues) does not start too.
I buy this xbox from ebay. His buyer told me that this xbox has a exploit (no modchip). The starting dash was XBMC. I update a few times XBMC manually and there was no problem. But today I used th3c updater script. The script works welll, this download the last version to my hd, and unrar this at e:/apss/th3c-2008-04-23/xbmc

This script ask to me if I want to make one shortcut to new xbmc. Then I found at c:/ two new files : xbmc.cfg and xbmc.xbe. I reboot with the script, but the xbmc stills 10/29/2007 version.

I rename this files:
xboxdash.xbe => xboxdash.old
xbmc.xbe=> xboxdash.xbe

I do this because I think that xbmc.xbe was a shorcut to e:/apps/thc3-2008-04-23/xbmc.xbe, the new version...and for this reason I guess that xboxdash.xbe was the first executable that xbox execute. But not, big problem, I'm stupid.

Now, I can't acces to xbmc. I can't execute my ebox rescue disc. Only red led and number 13 at the screen. sad.gif

I think that I break the softmod.
Can I acces by ftp to rename the executables ?
What are my chances?

Sorry for my english!

ldotsfan

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2008, 05:32:12 PM »

See if you can coldboot a game disc. If it works, buy or rent a copy of Splinter Cell and get a newer softmod like Krayzie's Ndure to replace your softmod.

Edited by ldotsfan, 02 April 2008 - 01:34 AM.

obcd

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2008, 02:08:44 AM »

Hi,

xboxdash.xbe is the first xbe that the bios starts.
The bios expects a signed application.
Due to the softmod exploit, the execution is transferred to the nkpatcher xbe that alters the bios in ram and starts another xbe which you might find in the E:\dash folder or something equivalent.

So, you changed the xboxdash.xbe to an unsigned application which the bios refuses to run.

Ftp is a dashboard functionallity. As long as you don't have a dashboard like Xbmc or unleashx, you can't ftp to your xbox.

You will need another way to access the contents of the xbox harddisk.

You could temporary install a modchip in your xbox and use the Slayers rescue disk as dashboard.

You could connect the disk to your pc and use xbplorer360 and xboxhdm to alter it's contents.

You will need to unlock the disk and disable it's security before you can access it's contents. To do this, you will need the xbox eeprom.bin file (A copy of the xbox eeprom chip contents.)

You can build an eeprom reader to get that file or you can temporary install a modchip.

http://forums.afterd...view.cfm/357863 describes the eeprom reader.

Remodding the disk with a game exploit as ldotsfan suggests might work as well.

regards.

ldotsfan

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2008, 03:12:19 AM »

sorry my method won't work as no way to transfer gamesave into xbox with a corrupt dash

Movax

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2008, 05:38:12 AM »

There's always hotswapping to xboxhdm. (possibly xplorer360)

Edited by Movax, 02 April 2008 - 01:39 PM.

ldotsfan

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2008, 06:48:09 AM »

After you have fixed the error, you should still use a newer softmod package like Krayzie's Ndure installer or Kingroach's Ndure Installer for PC to replace your old one as they both offer shadow C protection which will protect you against this kind of error ( renaming of xboxdash corrupting the softmod)

NoFace

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2008, 08:47:44 AM »

There's always hotswapping to xboxhdm. (possibly xplorer360)

The only problem with this - the hard drive doesn't unlock if the dash isn't booted.  sad.gif

ldotsfan

« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2008, 06:39:38 PM »

The only problem with this - the hard drive doesn't unlock if the dash isn't booted.  sad.gif

Remove the DVD drive and hard drive will be unlocked when error 11 occurs. It is my preferred way to hotswap as timing issues are removed from the equation

Page created in 0.685 seconds with 15 queries.