xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Swapping Xbox Dvd Drive?  (Read 77 times)

shuwaz

• Archived User
Swapping Xbox Dvd Drive?
« on: May 22, 2003, 02:23:00 PM »

can sum1 pls tell me y u cant just swap the crappy thompson dvd drive with a standard pc drive??

i hav got a modded xbox with evox and media player.  i have the pathetic thompson drive in it.

i was reading the tutorials on xbox scene for adding a standard pc dvd-drive to the xbox.
thing is - it has a number of drawbacks (not to mention the fact that u hav 2 leave the new pc drive sitting on top of yr xbox):

1.   u hav to leave the cover off the xbox;
2.   there will be a permanent wire/s hanging out of the xbox;
3.  the pc drive has to sit on top of the xbox drive cos of limited cable length;
4.   if like things tidy - like me, this method will piss u off;
5.  if like me u r often moving yr xbox [takin it 2 m8s to play mad game sessions] - u r knackered!

etc, etc.

the tutorial doesnt say why u cant just disconnect the xbox drive and slide in the pc one?

can sum1 pls shed sum lite on this issue?

i thing i will hav 2 do the old switcharoo job [meaning buy an xbox from the shops which has a samsung drive and swap it] from the shops.  thing is - its going to be tricky taking off the serial no. sticker without leaving a mark. looks like its a steam job!

This post has been edited by shuwaz: May 22 2003, 09:27 PM

JaredC01

• Archived User
Swapping Xbox Dvd Drive?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2003, 07:04:00 PM »

You can permanantly replace your DVD rom drive with a specific Samsung PC DVD-Rom drive, all you have to do is put new firmware on it, and it will play your original XBox games, as well as burned games.  I believe the model is 616T.  Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

RaGe

• Archived User
Swapping Xbox Dvd Drive?
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2003, 01:49:00 PM »

You are correct.
It has to be a 616T and that only