xbox-scene.com archived forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

xbox-scene.com forum restored.  registration disabled.  thanks to xboxexpert for the db dump and netham45 for cleaning it up!

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8

Author Topic: Tutorial : X-clamp Replacement - Lawdawg0931's Method  (Read 2100 times)

lawdawg0931

Tutorial : X-clamp Replacement - Lawdawg0931's Method
« Reply #30 on: April 24, 2007, 05:56:17 AM »

@polarz

This is from Team Xbox:
For the first time, we get full details on the transistor count and other technical data regarding the Xbox 360 CPU. The paper reveals that the Xbox 360 has a single chip with 165 million transistors for its CPU that is a three-way symmetric multiprocessor design

Not sure if the one you dinged off was by the CPU or GPU, but with 165 million (many internal) seems like you could lose 1 or 2, but you gotta know each one does a needed job. It's never a good thing to knock a part off. Try finding a schematic for the board itself, listing parts. If possible, resolder the peice that fell off back in place.

As far as the flakey results, have you changed the number of washers immediately above the motherboard. It's critical that the heatsinks are sitting on the chips themselves & not on the washers.

Edited by lawdawg0931, 24 April 2007 - 01:58 PM.

booker

« Reply #31 on: April 24, 2007, 07:31:03 AM »

lawdawg0931,

Yesterday i started to disamble the 360 and i notice 4 "transistors" on the back of the motherboard. 3 ON the cpu area and 1 on the GPU area. 3 of them were broken and 1 was missing.

I�m wondering what i should do, from the answers i got on other thread people say those are not critical to make the 360 work, but now with your answer i�m a bit confuse.
Bascially what i should do? should i continue with the X clamp Mod? or i should stop ?
I don�t have any experience soliding so i�m really afraid of solding those transistors.

Anyways, thanks for your advice.

booker

« Reply #32 on: April 24, 2007, 08:04:12 AM »

DP.

Edited by booker, 24 April 2007 - 04:05 PM.

JakeDunn

« Reply #33 on: April 24, 2007, 08:22:39 AM »

I thought RDC already answered your question? sleep.gif

Btw Lawdawg, uhh would putting thermal pads to the ram chips help? I always thought you put thermal pads then something to disippate the heat. Any thoughts? I dont want to resort to that eraser mod tongue.gif

booker

« Reply #34 on: April 24, 2007, 08:27:36 AM »

Btw Lawdawg, uhh would putting thermal pads to the ram chips help? I always thought you put thermal pads then something to disippate the heat. Any thoughts? I dont want to resort to that eraser mod tongue.gif

yeap.. i�m so freak out i follow this on 2 threads. Sorry.

JakeDunn

« Reply #35 on: April 24, 2007, 08:50:09 AM »

Just wondering man, i'd be nervous too lol, so I understand how you feel smile.gif

DaniloMQ

« Reply #36 on: April 24, 2007, 11:42:16 AM »

Finally my fiber washers arrived

IPB Image

It feels tigher to screw

jameswalter

« Reply #37 on: April 24, 2007, 12:05:40 PM »

6 of the 8 RAM chips are able to have thermal pads put on them.  4 are on the back of the motherboard, and will dissipate heat to the shielding, the other 2 are under the GPU heatsink, and dissipate heat to that.  The 2 chips exposed, should have some sort of heatsink installed (I think mine are 14mm high to avoid hitting the DVD-ROM).

lawdawg0931

« Reply #38 on: April 24, 2007, 02:43:41 PM »

6 of the 8 RAM chips are able to have thermal pads put on them.  4 are on the back of the motherboard, and will dissipate heat to the shielding, the other 2 are under the GPU heatsink, and dissipate heat to that.  The 2 chips exposed, should have some sort of heatsink installed (I think mine are 14mm high to avoid hitting the DVD-ROM).

@Jakedunn
Jameswalter answered perfect, that's exactly what I did.

@booker
I'm by no means an expert on these small transistors. If you're seeing informative posts in other threads regarding these transistors - they probably know more about them than I. On the other hand, if you feel you have nothing to lose in doing the X clamp replacement....go for it! If it's not going to work because of the missing transistors, doing the X clamp replacement won't make a difference anyway! wink.gif

booker

« Reply #39 on: April 24, 2007, 04:35:11 PM »

Again me.. i need some advice.

Today i bought all the stuff i need. But i make a HUGE mistake. I bought a flat washers too wide. So the GPU heatsink flat washer touch with the CPU heatsink Flat washer.  This will surely end up screwing the "contact between the heatsink and the chip.

Tomorrow i�ll try to get thinners flat washers. On the other hand the Nylon were perfect.

Now the advice..

for those who did this.. how did you do it?.. in paper is very easy, but in practice is a pain. Do you have the motherboard flip over? side or up?

My biggsest problem so far was put the bolts on the heatsink while keeping the flatwashers in place... and also being very careful with the motherboard.

Anyways if someone could tell me how did you do it and what do you feel is the most easy way to do this. i�ll be pleased.

thanks

PS, one last request. Could someone post some screenshots from this mod fix? i saw from RJtech but i didn�t saw with this technique.

Edited by booker, 25 April 2007 - 12:37 AM.

nettwerk

« Reply #40 on: April 24, 2007, 05:11:10 PM »

My biggsest problem so far was put the bolts on the heatsink while keeping the flatwashers in place... and also being very careful with the motherboard.

When I tired this method, I put the bolts through the mobo upside down then stuck a peice of tape (I used electrical tape) to hold them while I balance the washers on the other side and then try and carefully screw everything into the heatsinks. It was hard but not too bad.

Edited by nettwerk, 25 April 2007 - 01:11 AM.

dvsone

« Reply #41 on: April 24, 2007, 09:41:52 PM »

I put a book underneath the bottom of the motherboard when I turned the motherboard over to face up. I then added the washers and placed the heatsink on top. I then moved the book (with the motherboard on top) to the edge of a table and then slid the motherboard off the book so only 1 screw wasn't being supported by the book. This way I could focus on holding and screwing in one screw at a time. Once that screw was done I could move the motherboard in a different position to reveal another screw and so on.

If someone else has a better method, please let us know.

Edited by dvsone, 25 April 2007 - 05:54 AM.

RBJTech

« Reply #42 on: April 25, 2007, 03:58:51 AM »

... the other 2 are under the GPU heatsink, and dissipate heat to that...

they don't unless you put a gap filler on them to fill the ~1mm gap .. they just sit under the GPU heatsink and cook... sad.gif

@booker
I'm by no means an expert on these small transistors. If you're seeing informative posts in other threads regarding these transistors - they probably know more about them than I. On the other hand, if you feel you have nothing to lose in doing the X clamp replacement....go for it! If it's not going to work because of the missing transistors, doing the X clamp replacement won't make a difference anyway! wink.gif

FYI - they are not transistors - they are capacitors.  They are used to decouple / supress noise of the data lines thats all.  A capacitor does not have a direct 'electrical' connection (as such) so not having them (in this instance) just means the line may have a bit of noise.  If they were transistors (3 legs) or resistors (2 legs) then the xbox would likely not work at all as these have direct connections controlling or activating some other circuitry.

booker

« Reply #43 on: April 25, 2007, 05:33:04 AM »

they don't unless you put a gap filler on them to fill the ~1mm gap .. they just sit under the GPU heatsink and cook... sad.gif
FYI - they are not transistors - they are capacitors.  They are used to decouple / supress noise of the data lines thats all.  A capacitor does not have a direct 'electrical' connection (as such) so not having them (in this instance) just means the line may have a bit of noise.  If they were transistors (3 legs) or resistors (2 legs) then the xbox would likely not work at all as these have direct connections controlling or activating some other circuitry.

RB,
thanks,
and thanks god that those are not transistors then, because i have a 2 o 3 broken.

Cheers,

lawdawg0931

« Reply #44 on: April 25, 2007, 08:11:18 AM »

I'm not sure that games care how the hacked dash is set up - I suspect that they simply read the available video settings from the EEprom, which contains the settings from the MS Dash.

Depends.

Regarding Unleash X (and possibly other hacked dashes) it can override M$ resolution settings when disabling certain HD resolutions, but not when enabling them, as far as the displayed resolution of the dash itself. I'll explain.

The TV I have connected to my main gaming Xbox via component cable only supports 480p and 1080i. It does not handle 720p. With that known, right now I have all HD resolutions enabled in the M$ dash. In the Unleash X dash, I have 480p enabled, 720p disabled, and 1080i disabled (just because I don't like the 1080i picture). The dash displays at 480p. If I enable 1080i in Unleash X, the dash is displayed at 1080i. If I enable 720p in Unleash, the dash is not displayed properly. Also, if I enable either in Unleash and then go back the M$Dash, the Unleash changes are not reflected here. This would suggest that Unleash X must be patching the eeprom settings in memory because if unleash had direct access to the eeprom, then when I changed a resolution setting in Unleash X, the changes WOULD then be reflected in the M$dash. This would also lead me to believe that any game launched (through Unleash X with these settings) would adhere to those resolution settings as well, however the game part is speculation, as I haven't actually tried it, but seems likely, which is why I suggested in my above post to set all HD settings the same in all dashboards used. Better to err on the side of caution, right?

Now for the flip side to the coin: If I were to go into my M$ dash and disable all of my HD resolutions, this would be the final say and all HD resolutions are now disabled, regardless of my Unleash X settings. It is almost as if Unleash X has the ability to patch "out" enabled HD resolution settings made from the M$dash, but can't patch "in" disabled HD resolution settings. My guess, if I am correct in all this, is that it is for safety reasons.

EDIT: Actually, I take that back. I have tried it. I have more than a few xbox games, some of which do support 720p, but I have never had an issue with displaying any these games on my TV, so yes, the games do adhere to my Unleash X resolution settings.

EDIT2:Nevermind, you were right Heimdall. I just tried Soul Calibur 2 and it is not displayed correctly. So, the M$DASH does determine resolution settings for games. Looks like I have some resolutions to disable in the M$Dash. LOL

Edited by xboxmods2977, 30 November 2011 - 02:43 AM.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8

Page created in 0.125 seconds with 15 queries.