xbox-scene.com archived forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

xbox-scene.com forum restored.  registration disabled.  thanks to xboxexpert for the db dump and netham45 for cleaning it up!

Author Topic: Linux On Firmware 1.6  (Read 30 times)

Choaderboy

Linux On Firmware 1.6
« on: March 24, 2007, 01:44:27 AM »

Has anyone attempted an install on the 1.6 firmware yet? I notice on Playstation.com they list a couple of major changes to the process:

*  The "installer" no longer needs to be downloaded from this website. The PLAYSTATION�3 system software can directly install the "boot loader" that is saved on the storage media. Note that the location of the otheros.bld file on the storage media has not changed.
   * You no longer need to create a partition for the "other system" on the hard disk.

(http://www.playstati...form/index.html)

Could this mean linux is on the same partition as GameOS?

Anyway, I'll be giving it a go today and will report back my experience.

Choaderboy

Linux On Firmware 1.6
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2007, 05:57:17 AM »

Well, the installation went well, and as the Sony website explains, the installer is no longer needed. I guess they've included it in the firmware.

The system does need to be partitioned however, so make sure you back up your settings - I've had my system for a week and there was already 2GB of data to be backed up - I don't even have videos or music on the hard drive - so make sure you've got a large memory card.

Page created in 0.18 seconds with 17 queries.