xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Why Didn't Ms Make Their Dvd Player Prog Scan?  (Read 364 times)

pdude

• Archived User
Why Didn't Ms Make Their Dvd Player Prog Scan?
« on: August 11, 2004, 09:35:00 PM »

i foud this at wikipedia.com
DVD Playback Kit: Required in order to play DVD movies, the kit includes an infrared remote control and receiver. DVD playback was not included as a standard feature of the Xbox due to licensing issues with the DVD format that would have added extra cost to the console's base price. By selling a DVD remote separately MS was able to recover the DVD licensing fee. Although there is nothing to prevent the Xbox from acting as a progressive-scan DVD player, MS chose not to enable this feature in the Xbox DVD kit in order to avoid royalty payments to the patent-holder of progressive scan DVD playback. biggrin.gif

switzch

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2003, 12:46:00 PM »

yah, i have enabled proscan aswell.. why M$ didnt do this in the first place is beyond me.

johnney5

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2003, 04:29:00 PM »

Highly Noob question that could be easily searched on google, but would rather be asked here because im a lazy fuck:

What is progressive scan?

Flagg3

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2003, 07:59:00 PM »

As far as I know, M$ was actually advertising that the Xbox would be a progressive scan DVD player right before it launched.  They intentionally removed progressive scan right before launch because at the time progressive scan DVD players were selling for around $300 and M$ did not want anyone to buy the Xbox for the sole purpose of playing progressive scan DVDs.  

As is fairly obvious now, the Xbox is capable of far more than just gaming but M$ wants to sell it exclusively as a gaming machine because that's were the money is.  There is no money in selling the hardware at a loss if people are going to use the xbox as a DVD player and a Media Center, instead of buying games.

Flagg

modestrabbit

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2003, 10:51:00 PM »

Why are progressive-scan DVD players more expensive than regular DVD players if it is simply a matter of software? I had always assumed that progressive-scan DVD players had some sort of special hardware for a crisper picture.

KKNDhawk

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2003, 11:02:00 PM »

what's this enable-progressive-scan-to-dvdx2-program called??

uziq

• Recovered User
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2003, 12:22:00 AM »

see this thread on xboxhacker.net.

Here's the direct link to the ProgPatcher.

KKNDhawk

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2003, 12:27:00 AM »

thanks!

KKNDhawk

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2003, 12:29:00 AM »

thanks!

they should make this a tutorial for here.

BTW - i only clicked on "Submit Modified Post" once....not twice.

sith

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2003, 02:24:00 AM »

QUOTE (Flagg3 @ Jul 5 2003, 04:59 AM)
As far as I know, M$ was actually advertising that the Xbox would be a progressive scan DVD player right before it launched.  They intentionally removed progressive scan right before launch because at the time progressive scan DVD players were selling for around $300 and M$ did not want anyone to buy the Xbox for the sole purpose of playing progressive scan DVDs. 

As is fairly obvious now, the Xbox is capable of far more than just gaming but M$ wants to sell it exclusively as a gaming machine because that's were the money is.  There is no money in selling the hardware at a loss if people are going to use the xbox as a DVD player and a Media Center, instead of buying games.

Flagg

dude, I just corrected u in the 100 xbox thread and now here too.. ms in no way did the things you've said.. and do u have a friend in MS.. because you are also forwarding Ms's oppinons, which no one knows except billg. find some proof that they ever said it was going to have progressive scan.. i'm sure it was the public that created this rumor but it was never planed or proceeded by ms. it never happened, and they would not remove something that costs them no money, only to sell less consoles "As is fairly obvious now, the Xbox is capable of far more than just gaming but M$ wants to sell it exclusively as a gaming machine because that's were the money is. "  WRONG, yes gaming is big money.. but at launch ms would move those babies anyway possible, and now they are releasing media packs, to turn your xbox into a digital center for your livingroom, away from games.

.sith.

powerben5000

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2003, 06:22:00 AM »

Don't mean to tag team ya but...

There is no money in selling the hardware at a loss if people are going to use the xbox as a DVD player and a Media Center, instead of buying games.

I wonder if M$ would have been better off distributing Progressive Scan-enabled xboxes at a loss just to get them in people's houses...then once everyone has an Xbox they might think, "hey, I already got the Xbox, why not buy [insert game here]?" I know you're going to say that DVD players and Game Consoles are different markets, but I'm not completely sure that's the case.blink.gif

Just a thought...beerchug.gif

ChipmOnk

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2003, 07:41:00 AM »

QUOTE (johnney5 @ Jul 5 2003, 01:29 AM)
Highly Noob question that could be easily searched on google, but would rather be asked here because im a lazy fuck:

What is progressive scan?

this site has a nice explanation on progressive scan...

http://www.panasonic...rs/progscan.asp

ianmalcm

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2003, 10:24:00 AM »

the real reason is just functionality issues. As people have found, Thomson drives arent the highest of quality, and 2 have already gone out on me. MS *did* advertise ProScan all the way up to launch, but there were unresolved issues with some units that they just couldnt remedy. So they just disabled ProgScan on all systems because they ran out of QA time. I'm not sure what the exact problem was, but I heard whispers of overheating, early wearout on the drive, and compatibility testing that was never completed.

regarding all the "capabilities" of the system, its plausible they'll release a 1.5 with enhanced security and added features like ProScan.