xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Painting An Xbox...  (Read 217 times)

a_talarico

• Archived User
Painting An Xbox...
« on: March 11, 2003, 05:57:00 AM »

I'm looking to paint my xbox, and need to know what type of paint is best. Any recommendations?

TykSak

• Archived User
Painting An Xbox...
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2003, 06:00:00 AM »

a_talarico

• Archived User
Painting An Xbox...
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2003, 06:32:00 AM »

Any other suggestions?

rubrduk

• Archived User
Painting An Xbox...
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2003, 10:48:00 AM »

yeah....

i'm painting mine right now,....

do youself a favor - say NO to generic paint! This is a $500 electronic item that you are going to pimp when it's done - so spend a few bucks on good name brand paint like Plasti-cote or Duplicolor (automotive type paint from Auto Zone, PB's, Kragen, Wal-Mart, etc...) or you can get some spiffy colors in model car/airplane paints,....Testors is top notch, but the color range is limited for my taste

i am using Plasti-cote because of the color i wanted,...so i am also using Plasti-cote brand primer and clear coat as well

so whatever brand you choose - stick with that brand so you do not have chemical mix issues - i used to be a hardcore model car enthusiast winning many kit shows - i've seen good and bad in paint, so trust me on this one!

after you tear your xbox apart - scuff it with 600 grit sand paper then clean it with alcohol (to remove any mold release agents)

prime it - then wet sand with 600-1000 grit until you have it supa smooth

then paint with your color choice - wet sand with 1000-1500 grit between each 2 or 3 coats allowing the paint to dry 24 hours between (one coat should NOT cover - you need to build layers of paint to avoid runs and orange peel textures)

be sure to wash in soap and water after each sanding!!!

after you get to the desired color level -  wet sand with 1500-2000 grit and shoot the clear on it - wet sanding between layers as well

be sure to wash in soap and water after each sanding!!!

finally - after your last coat of clear - lightly wet sand with 2000 grit and let it dry - then use an automotive glaze and wax and hand buff to a perfect shine!

you will spend around $30 to do this properly - but the result will be steller - unlike some of these other $2 paint jobs i have seen lately with runs and sanding scratches etc...

WARNING - do not use any paint that claims to be chrome, gold, high-temp, etc..... they are crap!!!

if you want silver - buy a high quality silver paint - do NOT get that fake chrome crap! it looks like a$$

reply to this thread if you need help or more tips

This post has been edited by rubrduk: Mar 11 2003, 06:50 PM

a_talarico

• Archived User
Painting An Xbox...
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2003, 12:05:00 PM »

Thanks for the help rubrduk, I think I'm going to try it.

The first time I painted it, I used cheap paint. This did not work very well, so now I might buy a new case or I was wondering if there was any way to remove the paint that I put on my current case. I was thinking about using paint thinner but I'm not really sure.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks.

a_talarico

• Archived User
Painting An Xbox...
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2003, 03:28:00 PM »

Anything else?

Rebel-Soul

• Archived User
Painting An Xbox...
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2003, 05:40:00 PM »

QUOTE (a_talarico @ Mar 12 2003, 01:22 AM)
Anything else?

I just painted mine. Testors is a great company and it is pretty inexpensive. it is an enamel paint so dont make mistakes. :beer:  :popcorn:

rubrduk

• Archived User
Painting An Xbox...
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2003, 11:35:00 PM »

QUOTE (a_talarico @ Mar 11 2003, 09:59 PM)
Thanks for the help rubrduk, I think I'm going to try it.

The first time I painted it, I used cheap paint. This did not work very well, so now I might buy a new case or I was wondering if there was any way to remove the paint that I put on my current case. I was thinking about using paint thinner but I'm not really sure.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks.

good luck is the best thing i can offer you,...if the paint is not too thick, not too bad - you can sand it smooth

you do not have to remove all of the paint,..just make it smooth

then you will prime and go from there ---

if you paint is total crap, an old trick i have used on styrene plastics is soaking it in Pine-sol for a day or so - i reccomend extreme caution as i have not tried do this to the xbox case and there is a chance it will attack the plastic (depending on the plastic type),...but i seriously doubt it - but i warned you

paint thinner is a waste of time - lacquer thinner will work - but again - it is not reccomend for plastic and should be a last ditch effort - it WILL attack the plastic

the first is you best  - use 300 grit and go up from there (do not use lower - scratches will be deep!)

rubrduk

• Archived User
Painting An Xbox...
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2003, 11:39:00 PM »

i'm gonna try to put together a proper tutorial with some pics,...maybe they will host it when i'm done - gimme a week so i can get some pics of mine as i do it

HSDEMONZ

• Archived User
Painting An Xbox...
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2003, 05:12:00 AM »

A Good.. detailed FAQ on Painting, sanding, priming etc with good pics will get PINNED at least! :)

There are way to many ghetto paint jobs floating around.. and from the sound of it.. you've got a clue on the best method to get a superior look!

Can't wait! :)

kaioshade

• Archived User
Painting An Xbox...
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2003, 05:34:00 AM »

amazing guide. im almost ashamed of my paint job now. time to buy a new case and start over.

although my next case will be done using vinyl dye. i will have a good looking case..

This post has been edited by kaioshade: Mar 12 2003, 01:35 PM

Evil Furby

• Archived User
Painting An Xbox...
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2003, 06:07:00 AM »

hey kaioshade, thats what i'm doing also.. i really thing vinyl dye is the way to go.. then use normal paints as decore and such..

kaioshade

• Archived User
Painting An Xbox...
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2003, 06:32:00 AM »

my next project was to put vinyl dye on the case, since the dye will look more like the actual plastic than a cover, it would look much more natural. and it would really look like the xbox came like that. now to hit up ebay for a new case...

a_talarico

• Archived User
Painting An Xbox...
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2003, 06:33:00 AM »

I think I might just try sanding it down with fairly fine sand paper. If worst comes to worst then I'll purchase a new case.

thanks for all your help.

PM5K

• Archived User
Painting An Xbox...
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2003, 06:39:00 AM »

If anyone is looking for a new case for their modding/painting pleasure I have two here.