xbox-scene.com archived forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

xbox-scene.com forum restored.  registration disabled.  thanks to xboxexpert for the db dump and netham45 for cleaning it up!

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Announce: Flickerfilter Xbe Patching Utility  (Read 764 times)

samsbak

Announce: Flickerfilter Xbe Patching Utility
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2006, 12:16:47 PM »

just in awe at how good kof neowave looks on the neogeo cab!!! cool.gif

samsbak

« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2006, 12:53:52 PM »

IPB Image
IPB Image

These pics are from before xbe patching...you can see the SNK logo on the bottom slightly blurred ...it is perfectly crisp now...

It also reduced "pixel bleeding" on my monitor...just amazing! ohmy.gif

Edited by samsbak, 24 August 2006 - 08:55 PM.

Joergen

« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2006, 01:09:47 PM »

Wow I seriously couldhave used this utility when I still had my SD CRT for xbox playing. Some games were blurred to hell so bad I had to take pauses for my eyes.

I switched to the component cables and a HD set and all flicker filter and blur nonsense is defaulted to zero... THANK BEJEEBUS.

The Poor-man's AA in the old xbox is ridiculous. Sure it hides the 640x480 pixels nicely but so does old age and having your eyes poked out.

The exact opposite of the xbox1 would be the Dreamcast using an RGB cable.. the sharpest picture EVAH. But play a game like Rez and the flicker is almost all one can handle.

Edited by Joergen, 24 August 2006 - 09:11 PM.

JLsoft

« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2006, 01:54:27 PM »

Major props to hargle and VooD for this utility...it's pretty much the number one thing I've been waiting and praying for someone to play around with making smile.gif

(I'm using composite Video In on Hauppauge WinTV Theater and X800 VIVO cards here, so the resulting effect is easily noticed tongue.gif)

Since the compatibility list wiki keeps giving me an error when I go to edit, I'll just paste my findings for-games-on-my-HD-currently-but-not-listed-in-the-compatibility-list:

Tested And Working With Flicker Filter Disabled (All are NTSC releases unless noted)

- Crimson Skies - High Road To Revenge
- Fahrenheit
- Full Spectrum Warrior (can also patch "army.xbe")
- Grand Theft Auto - San Andreas (Original release)
- Mafia
- Mercenaries - Playground of Destruction
- Midway Arcade Treasures 3 (Need to patch each emulator .xbe tongue.gif)
- Still Life
- Red Star, The (PAL)
- Tiger Woods PGA Tour 06
- Worms 4 - Mayhem
- XPort emulators (Older versions that haven't been updated recently - See http://forums.xbox-s...howtopic=542505 for more info)

Tested, Crashes And Won�t Load After Patch Applied
- LA Rush (Locks up randomly with #1 patch applied...using only the #0 patch found doesn't seem to have any change)

Diggedy

« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2006, 03:10:43 PM »

@ Samsbak:
SOUL CALIBUR 2

Are you running this in an emulator or do you mean Soul Calibur 3?

Edited by Diggedy, 24 August 2006 - 11:11 PM.

JLsoft

« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2006, 03:44:45 PM »

Bored! It also works on:

- COMPLEX Tools v1.60
- ConfigMagic
- DVD2XBox v0.7.6
- LinksBoks v0.99 (SCARY difference tongue.gif)
- XORED Trainer Launcher v2.2

- XVectrex b1

nes6502

« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2006, 05:41:55 PM »

Awesome tool! This is definatly my favorite Xbox release ever (well, other than ZsnexBox).

I just updated the compatability thread with more games that work brilliantly with it. Marvel vs. Capcom 2 never looked so good.

The ones I added are (all NTSC):

NCAA 07
Peter Jackson's King Kong
Hulk: Ultimate Destruction
KOF 2002/2003
Marvel Vs. Capcom 2
Samurai Showdown V
Black
Doom: RoE
Fable: The Lost Chapters
Jade Empire: Limited Edition
Xmen Legends 2
Otogi
Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter
Blazing Angels
NHL 06
Far Cry Instincts
GTA 3
GUN
Psychonauts
The Chronicles of Riddick

Thanks for this.

Edited by nes6502, 25 August 2006 - 01:46 AM.

Hoescout

« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2006, 06:18:24 AM »

I can't get HALO 2 to turn off the flicker filter. I've even patched every XBE File in the main folder. Still didn't change anything. Can anyone help me out? It's the updated ntsc-version (1.1).

What file did you guys patch?

VooD

« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2006, 06:49:37 AM »

Try the retail version.

hargle

« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2006, 06:54:27 AM »

I can't get HALO 2 to turn off the flicker filter. I've even patched every XBE File in the main folder. Still didn't change anything. Can anyone help me out? It's the updated ntsc-version (1.1).

What file did you guys patch?

Some games have the code in their xbe's, but never call it.  The code must be part of a default library that just gets pulled in during compile time, and the programmers never utilize it.

I was thinking that in cases like this, I might be able to come up with a simple wrapper default.xbe that you launch, which turns off the flickerFilter, then launches default_ff.xbe in the same folder.  (ok, I just came up with this idea while I typed this, so it's completely unproven if you can actually do this)   Something as simple as that could be compiled with openxdk and released freely.  That wrapper .xbe would ONLY work in cases like this where the flicker filter code, even after being patched, never gets executed.  Lemme see what can be done.

I haven't seen halo2 patched with my own eyes, but I know VooD has tested it.  Must have been the 1.0 release or something?

These pics are from before xbe patching...you can see the SNK logo on the bottom slightly blurred ...it is perfectly crisp now...

It also reduced "pixel bleeding" on my monitor...just amazing! ohmy.gif

Any chance you can take another pic with FF turned off so we can see the difference?  I'll add your images (if that's ok) to the website so people can see what they're getting themselves into.

VooD

« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2006, 07:42:11 AM »

Mine is Halo 2 PAL retail version, with no updates applied. And about pictures is difficult to see any difference unless you take the picture really near from the TV and focused, and even though you won�t get any near the real effect since, you�d probably only capture half of the lines. I took some pictures and that what I got. Anyway I�ll post some of them if you wnat. (on the other hand you still can use the pictures I sent you taken with my capture card, but as always they don�t show the real improvement tongue.gif)

Regards.

Hoescout

« Reply #26 on: August 25, 2006, 08:40:46 AM »

Yo, problem fixed!  tongue.gif

Here's how: all who got an updated Halo 2 (v1.1) they need to go patch this file E/TDATA/4d530064/$u/default.xbe

The result is much sharper and clearer looking Halo 2. Really awesome!

So hargle you can yet relaxe and don't need to mess around with a new wrapper etc.  cool.gif

VooD

« Reply #27 on: August 25, 2006, 08:54:03 AM »

Nice, probably that�s also valid for Ninja Gaiden updates, and other games.

Lego Star Wars
And well, here are some samples. (of course it looks way better when you watch the tv directly) .Notice how the panel with the geometric figures loss lots of details. For example at the right part with the flicker filter turned off you still can see the grey blur which in the first image is really formed by several individual horizontal lines.
IPB Image

IPB Image

Burnout 3
IPB Image
IPB Image

Navillos

« Reply #28 on: August 25, 2006, 09:00:28 AM »

i have an RCA flat screen tv and it isnt high def but it has component video in and im using monster gamelink component cables with toslink. im wondering if this patch will apply to me or not. or since im using hd cables it is already default to "0". thanx in advance guys

VooD

« Reply #29 on: August 25, 2006, 09:11:06 AM »

i have an RCA flat screen tv and it isnt high def but it has component video in and im using monster gamelink component cables with toslink. im wondering if this patch will apply to me or not. or since im using hd cables it is already default to "0". thanx in advance guys

If you are not using HDTV modes this will improve the image quality for you.

And about the Wiki...whoever who added Outrun 2006 and 2 as non working is wrong.
They both work perfectly. I can warrantee if you have these version it will work flawless:

Outrun 2006:
Region: Multi
ID: 53450088 (1397031048)
CRC original: 2BF30FE5
CRC patched to off: 4EFD122E

Outrun 2:
Region: 4 (Europe - PAL)
ID: 53450036 (1397030966)
CRC original: 833A61D2
CRC patched to off: 6F410C3B

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Page created in 0.076 seconds with 14 queries.