xbox-scene.com archived forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

xbox-scene.com forum restored.  registration disabled.  thanks to xboxexpert for the db dump and netham45 for cleaning it up!

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Announce: Flickerfilter Xbe Patching Utility  (Read 763 times)

hargle

Announce: Flickerfilter Xbe Patching Utility
« on: August 22, 2006, 11:09:19 AM »

from the "nothing is too obscure to hack" department...

Hey everyone,

VooD and I have come up with an .xbe patching utility that allows you to change the settings of the Flicker Filter used in-game.

http://xbox.nugnugnu.../FlickerFucker/

The FlickerFilter is a bit of hardware built into the xbox itself, which can be controlled by software.  Due to a television's slight over and underscan when drawing a screen, there is often a bit of jumpiness and flicker on finely drawn details, such as text.  To keep text from being too jumpy, the FlickerFilter allows the image to be blurred slightly, which reduces the amount of jumpiness in trade for image sharpness.

Virtually every single xbox title defaults the FlickerFilter to a value of 5, the maximum amount of blurring available, and offers no means to reduce the amount through in game options.

This utility allows you to force the amount of FlickerFilter used in a game.  You can turn it off altogether or select any amount of flicker filtering between 1 (minimum) and 5 (maximum).

Obviously this is only true for Standard Definition Interlaced TV�s (15khz), and the benefit will be proportional to the quality of the cables used for connecting the Xbox to the TV (best results with Scart RGB cables, worst with composite cables)

This utility is a generic .xbe patcher, so we've also put together a compatibility list that anyone can edit with their results.  Some games are finicky and can't be changed, but I think we're getting about a 90% success rate in  being able to change the default values that the game uses.  Give it a shot, the effect is somewhat subtle, but interesting to play around with, and may give some of your old blurry games a new life to your eyes.

Joshua Wood

« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2006, 02:18:18 PM »

Nice work. I like the "nothing to obscure to hack" comment wink.gif I'm sure some ppl will find this useful, but I more like the idea that more and more of the xbox is being made alterable.

Edirol

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2006, 07:42:10 PM »

I wonder if they can make/mod the available firmwares to patch this on the fly.  It's a cool program nevertheless.

ubiman

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2006, 08:27:33 PM »

I think XBMC has this option somewhere. But I don't think you can use it for games.

incognegro

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2006, 03:15:56 AM »

I think XBMC has this option somewhere. But I don't think you can use it for games.

Yes alm ost all homebrew apps has this option and its wonderful but it was never possible on retail games until now. The dev should be giving a huge award of some sort for this cause this one the most useful apps Ive seen come out for the xbox IMO. I mean I never turn on the flicker filter in anyting, just try and play doom with the flciker filter on 5 and then put it on 0 and you'll see the difference.

I used it and it works on every game I throw at it. Although DOA 3 seem to look ugly and tons jaggies with it. This is greatly appreciated. Thank you sir! smile.gif

Now if some one can only code this into xbmc so I can do it on the fly..... happy.gif

VooD

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2006, 03:30:56 AM »

It�s open source, so It shoulnd�t be too dificult for xbmc team to include it in their program. tongue.gif

So,  just let them know it�s possible to disable the flicker filter in games, and that you want they to include this on a future version tongue.gif

Otherwise...I�m afraid this tool and the VERY HARD work which took coding it will be forgotten very soon..

Edited by VooD, 24 August 2006 - 11:44 AM.

Hoescout

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2006, 04:27:06 AM »

Yes alm ost all homebrew apps has this option and its wonderful but it was never possible on retail games until now. The dev should be giving a huge award of some sort for this cause this one the most useful apps Ive seen come out for the xbox IMO. I mean I never turn on the flicker filter in anyting, just try and play doom with the flciker filter on 5 and then put it on 0 and you'll see the difference.

I used it and it works on every game I throw at it. Although DOA 3 seem to look ugly and tons jaggies with it. This is greatly appreciated. Thank you sir! smile.gif

Now if some one can only code this into xbmc so I can do it on the fly..... happy.gif

Ye man word up. Youre so right! Same for me, I also notice the huge difference of FF 5 or FF1 or disabled. In the Mc360 I set the skin to ff1 and soften enabled. By default its set on 5. Its so fugly and droopy that u wanna cry. For videos the FF is disabled completely. AND if I had a LCD tv Id disable FF too, unfortunately on CRT tvs some fonts/pics flicker as hell..

It looks so much sharper to me with ff disabled, dunno how u guys experience it. Wow I think the first thing Ima do now is go disable that crap on every game I got. Thanks Hargle and VooD, youre some fine mates. And I also hope this could be implemented in the XBMC since its really one of the most useful tools for the BOX since Enigma VideoMode switcher etc.

BTW: FUCK THE FLICKER FILTER  biggrin.gif

CHEERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DarkSky Forever

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2006, 09:23:57 AM »

Wow... noticable difference in graphics for every game... Halo 2 looks even better.

Nice job.

flavor

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2006, 09:32:03 AM »

Also works on the Thclite xbe, which I use as dashboard. Crystal clear Display.
Great tool, thanks mate!

Obveron

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2006, 09:42:05 AM »

Is this for only interlaced output?  Will this have no effect for progressive outputs?

hargle

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2006, 09:56:16 AM »

This would be amazing!  To be able to switch it on the fly (press white button and change setting) but I wouldn't be too surprised if they decide not to, as it does actually modify the xbe directly, which is a little scary/dangerous.  That might be outside the scope of what XBMC should be doing as a dashboard.

Second in line of coolness is that it would be really easy to make ACL files for dvd2xbox for the various patches.   You wouldn't be able to select the setting though, unless dvd2xbox were modified.

Food for thought, and thanks for all the positive feedback-it's inspiring me to see what else can be done...

VooD

« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2006, 11:03:13 AM »

I guess the best solution for integrate FlickerFucker in dashs would be to make the dashboard make a copy of the default.xbe, patch it, and then load it tongue.gif

100% safe tongue.gif

Is this for only interlaced output? Will this have no effect for progressive outputs?

Progressive as its name tells is progressive tongue.gif so there is no need for interlacing flicker filtering, and so no need for disable that with flickerfucker

orijonl

« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2006, 11:30:44 AM »

I'm a little confused by some of the posts.  I originally thought that this would not make a difference if you were using HD (component) outputs, but someone mentioned using this for output to an LCD and then I saw VooD state that it would not be necessary for progressive outputs.

So is it true that you would only need this if you are using the standard AV pack being output to a CRT or are ther other scenarios where it would be useful?

samsbak

« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2006, 11:45:36 AM »

I have Xbox inside my NEOGEO MVS-2 arcade machine ( Wells Gardner 25 in 15Khz monitor)

And you guys just made it SHINE...

Ive been dreaming of a flicker patcher for years

Every arcade port is tested WORKING!!!

kof NEOWAVE and KOF MAX IMPACT AND SOUL CALIBUR 2

DOA 1,2,3 WORKING

EVERYTHING WORKING!!! love.gif  love.gif  love.gif  love.gif  love.gif  love.gif  love.gif  love.gif  love.gif

Its unbelieveable that you guys were able to find the correct routines to patch...I actually had a meeting with the Head of Technology for Treyarch about this issue...He refused to believe that he needed to code for flicker filter.

Edited by samsbak, 24 August 2006 - 07:52 PM.

VooD

« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2006, 12:03:33 PM »

I'm a little confused by some of the posts.  I originally thought that this would not make a difference if you were using HD (component) outputs, but someone mentioned using this for output to an LCD and then I saw VooD state that it would not be necessary for progressive outputs.

So is it true that you would only need this if you are using the standard AV pack being output to a CRT or are ther other scenarios where it would be useful?
It won�t have any effect if you are using hdtv modes in a LCD tv as the signal is progressive and there is no need for the xbox to use its flicker filter, BUT if you are connecting your xbox to a LCD using composite, svhs, or RGB cables then the signal is still 15khz interlaced, and since the flicker filter will be turned on by default you�d get a sharper image  if you use FlickerFucker to disable it.

have Xbox inside my NEOGEO MVS-2 arcade machine ( Wells Gardner 25 in 15Khz monitor)

And you guys just made it SHINE...

Hehe, one of my motivations for disabling the flicker filter was the "arcade look". Most 3d arcades never used any kind of flicker filtering, and I really like in that way tongue.gif

Edited by VooD, 24 August 2006 - 08:06 PM.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Page created in 0.146 seconds with 14 queries.