xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Xbox Power Supply  (Read 317 times)

Al_Ghazi

• Archived User
Xbox Power Supply
« on: December 17, 2002, 08:10:00 AM »

Is the power supply in the XBOX specific to the target region?  that is - if I have a NTSC XBOX does that mean I can only feed it 110 volt power?

or - is the powersupply, like a PC, autoswitching?

I have a NTSC XBOX and am in the UK - I had a nice Brother Laserjet and decided to see if the powersupply was autoswitching.  I tried it the easiest way, by plugging it in to a 220v socket.  One mushroom cloud later, printer pwersupply is dead.

Don't want to do the same to my XBOX.  can anyone tell me?

Cheers,

Gaz.                                    

Al_Ghazi

• Archived User
Xbox Power Supply
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2002, 09:48:00 AM »

* bump *   Anyone?                                    

Gruce

• Archived User
Xbox Power Supply
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2002, 10:52:00 AM »

To use my US Xbox in the UK im using a Step Down Convertor, I recommend you do the same.                                    

MrEs

• Archived User
Xbox Power Supply
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2002, 07:22:00 PM »

u got a link to a step down converter?                                    

Al_Ghazi

• Archived User
Xbox Power Supply
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2002, 12:55:00 PM »

Yeah the question was more theoretical than to solve a specific problem.  All my electonics are 110v and I have transformers in every room of the house.  But why I was asking is; I went to the shops today and got myself a v1.1 XBOX with a nice Samsung Drive and a larger hard disk.  

I was planning on slipping the guts of my squeeky old US version into the new case off the v1.1 box and then putting the v1.1 guts into my old case, I have a Christmas return policy on the new box and I was just wondering... if that shop sold it again, and some poor kid plugs it in, will it work on 220v?  I am going to leave the existing modchip in there, so as long as I remove the Evox dash, the new user may never notice, i just don't want to feel like a total bastard if the thing is gonna blow up as soon as it is plugged in.  thats all....

I know whoever gets it will just return it for a replacement, but I am really not a mean guy...  

Gaz.                                    

xbox_freak!!

• Archived User
Xbox Power Supply
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2002, 10:13:00 PM »

.....sell it to some american on ebay...... :lol:  

MartialXboxArtist

• Archived User
Xbox Power Supply
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2002, 01:28:00 AM »

I think the store will check to see if it was open. The Target where I live does check it cause I was there applying for a credit and I saw one of the worker checked some kid's return on the Xbox to see if it was opened. I wonder if MS warned them ahead of time?  :uhh: Who knows.... Just sell it on eBay..

This post has been edited by MartialXboxArtist: Dec 23 2002, 09:28 AM

schlacht

• Archived User
Xbox Power Supply
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2002, 02:16:00 PM »

yo Ghaz
trying to answer your question; this guy might have the info you need, he seems to be a power supply guru: http://650x.com/Xbox/ From what I know of 110 and 220 devices and PC power supplies, this is not a PC power supply. I wouldn't count on it switching.