xbox-scene.com archived forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

xbox-scene.com forum restored.  registration disabled.  thanks to xboxexpert for the db dump and netham45 for cleaning it up!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Savegame Exploit  (Read 290 times)

Darren101

Savegame Exploit
« on: December 08, 2005, 01:34:21 AM »

Hi!

I have a (probably stupid) idea for hacking the 360.
Would it be possible to hack the memory unit, and make a savegame hack, to ftp into the 360?

The only problem that I can see, is that there are no homebrew dev kits about yet, so actually coding a program that allows you to ftp into the 360 could be hard.

But, I suppose they've probably signed the saves or something, so another idea would be a buffer overflow.

Anyways, there's always gonna be some kind of security hole.

Edited by Darren101, 08 December 2005 - 10:40 AM.

mkjones

Savegame Exploit
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2005, 04:37:35 AM »

Hi!

I have a (probably stupid) idea for hacking the 360.
Would it be possible to hack the memory unit, and make a savegame hack, to ftp into the 360?

The only problem that I can see, is that there are no homebrew dev kits about yet, so actually coding a program that allows you to ftp into the 360 could be hard.

But, I suppose they've probably signed the saves or something, so another idea would be a buffer overflow.

Anyways, there's always gonna be some kind of security hole.

Idea is sound but it looks like xbox1 gamesaves will not be compatible with the xbox 360. Not becuase they cant but because of security issues.

Majornelsons blog informed me of this a while ago and I doubt this policy will be changed.

Weather or not its a simple hardware issue and we can somehow get the gamesave onto the 360 from an old memory card and it will simply "work" remains to be seen. But I assume even then the gamesave will not be compatible.

Darren101

Savegame Exploit
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2005, 10:58:05 AM »

Well, when I get my xbox360, I'll try a buffer overflow with a jpg.
From what I hear, it can read images from a USB flash drive.

lordvader129

Savegame Exploit
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2005, 11:40:00 AM »

Well, when I get my xbox360, I'll try a buffer overflow with a jpg.
From what I hear, it can read images from a USB flash drive.

it also has an assload of protection against buffer overflows, its been tried

RocketMBA

Savegame Exploit
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2005, 12:21:19 PM »

Idea is sound but it looks like xbox1 gamesaves will not be compatible with the xbox 360. Not becuase they cant but because of security issues.

Majornelsons blog informed me of this a while ago and I doubt this policy will be changed.

Weather or not its a simple hardware issue and we can somehow get the gamesave onto the 360 from an old memory card and it will simply "work" remains to be seen. But I assume even then the gamesave will not be compatible.

The fact that MS decided to get rid of old game saves altogether makes me think that the "emulator" would is close to the guts of the Xbox 360 (duh, I guess) - and therefore a good place to get in. I like the "better safe than sorry" approach.

lordvader129

Savegame Exploit
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2005, 01:13:01 PM »

The fact that MS decided to get rid of old game saves altogether makes me think that the "emulator" would is close to the guts of the Xbox 360 (duh, I guess) - and therefore a good place to get in. I like the "better safe than sorry" approach.

i dont think its so much that it allows alot of access to the processor and other sysetm functions, i think its just that they didnt even want to give us the chance of finding a way through, plus there could be been other reasons not even related to gamesave exploits, maybe they couldnt get the games to read the old saves properly from the new HD

besides, none of the exploitable games are even on the compatibility list (this probably is for security reasons) so even if you did manage to make a 360-compatible exploited save you have no game to load it with

RocketMBA

Savegame Exploit
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2005, 01:40:23 PM »

I read on Xbox.com that they want to support all Xbox games eventually - so I guess that Splinter Cell, Mechassault and the Bond one will be last.

lordvader129

Savegame Exploit
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2005, 02:08:30 PM »

I read on Xbox.com that they want to support all Xbox games eventually - so I guess that Splinter Cell, Mechassault and the Bond one will be last.

perhaps, perhaps not, they might still leave them off just because they can

even if they do we still dont have access to the exploited saves on 360

even if they do allow saves they will certainly patch the xbes on the fly to the new versions of the game that didnt load the exploited saves

even if we can get the exploited saves loaded on 360, the system has alot of buffer overflow protection, its likely the save will simply crash the system

even if we can successfully initiate an overflow, everything at the hardware level is different, its doubtful the overflow would even alter the public signing key properly to allow homebrew xbes to be signed

even if we get all that, we are still simply running an emulated exploited xbox, i doubt we can go from an emulated system to the actual system and still maintain any amount hackedness (yeah, i know thats not a word)

by the time we break through all those barriers we will probably be trying to hack xbox720 and ps4

jwin767

Savegame Exploit
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2005, 05:08:05 PM »

even if we get all that, we are still simply running an emulated exploited xbox, i doubt we can go from an emulated system to the actual system and still maintain any amount hackedness (yeah, i know thats not a word)

Just to Translate this paragraph, think PSP version 2.0 hack Homebrew is running only in USER memory (not KERNAL where the good stuff is AKA UMD emulation etc etc) we need to hit the core not a piece around the outside.

Edited by jwin767, 09 December 2005 - 02:09 AM.

Darren101

Savegame Exploit
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2005, 02:24:47 AM »

It sounds impossible at the minute, because not much is known about the 360. But M$ always leave a security loophole.

wmadoss

Savegame Exploit
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2005, 03:43:11 AM »

SplinterCell are already on the list

Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell�
Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell� Chaos Theory�
Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell� Pandora Tomorrow�

From today I think...

StepsAscend

Savegame Exploit
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2005, 08:25:19 AM »

I'm sure if they decide to support the exploitable games they will patch the emulator to prevent it.

RocketMBA

Savegame Exploit
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2005, 08:55:04 AM »

SplinterCell are already on the list

Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell�
Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell� Chaos Theory�
Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell� Pandora Tomorrow�

From today I think...

Brilliant. Now we can poke mindlessly in the vague hope we'll get somewhere! Hooray!

Staticvoid

Savegame Exploit
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2005, 11:26:42 PM »

it for sure could read and use files from the harddrive, games have to uncompress somewhere, then be read to play. MS proabbly took the safer than sorry route is all.

does the xbox 360 suport system link games for xbox1? if so then if we could exploit the emulator then we should atleast be able to use ftp. not likely to help us much but who knows.

Edited by Staticvoid, 10 December 2005 - 08:29 AM.

Darren101

Savegame Exploit
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2005, 04:46:07 AM »

I think I have an idea.

What about using a usb flash drive to hold x360 saves, then modify them to cause a buffer overflow, to execute some kind of exploit.

We might not have much chance with an overflow in the Dashboard, but there will eventually be a game thats vulnerable to it.

It's just a matter of time.

Pages: [1] 2

Page created in 0.076 seconds with 15 queries.