xbox-scene.com archived forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

xbox-scene.com forum restored.  registration disabled.  thanks to xboxexpert for the db dump and netham45 for cleaning it up!

Author Topic: Hmm...  (Read 205 times)

Burgleflickle

Hmm...
« on: November 26, 2005, 09:50:52 PM »

What about attacking the 360 through it's emulation & Halo 2? XB 360 emulates parts of orig XB to play halo 2, so maybe we could make the 360 think it has a Halo 2 disc in the box. There has to be a way to use what we know about orig xb to sign homebrew xbes, patch halo 2, and create a disc that could unlock some of xb 360's features, add packages, or at least see what's on 360's roms and chipsets. I might be way off, but this sounds like it could work to me.

krayzie

Hmm...
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2005, 09:55:19 PM »

it still has to be signed correctly for it to run.... and we still don't have Bill's private key...

tmh88

Hmm...
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2005, 10:34:24 PM »

how did they get the last key for the original xbox then?

btw krayzie, the softmod installer kicks ass. I used it for the first time last week for a friend.

Edited by tmh88, 27 November 2005 - 07:34 AM.

globe_guyx

Hmm...
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2005, 05:35:00 AM »

They didn't.  The public portion of the key was altered in memory after a buffer underflow error in such a way as to make the key divisible by 3 rather than some extraordinarily huge unknown prime.

Edited by globe_guyx, 27 November 2005 - 02:36 PM.

binjinx

Hmm...
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2005, 05:55:18 AM »

has anyone looked at attempting going thru the WM9 or 10 files (dont have my 360 yet) but doesnt it support WM files no way to exploit this ?

DaBiscuit

Hmm...
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2005, 07:58:29 AM »

how did they get the last key for the original xbox then?

Most ofl the homebrew apps for X-Box are signed with the Habibi key, and part of the purpose of whatever the exploit you use was to make the x-box run Habibi-signed XBEs instead of MS-signed. As Globe_guyx said, the exploits take advantage of bugs to rewrite the key in memory to something that was managable. That's a gross oversimplification, but to my knowledge, the real key has never been cracked.

BlueCELL

Hmm...
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2005, 08:34:37 AM »

Any bugs in old games would crash the enumlator and not the system.  So I think that wouldnt work to well.  Plus the 360 has some sort of overflow protection in it (forgot exact name).

BlueCELL

MaTiAz

Hmm...
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2005, 10:56:16 AM »

Hmm, if the X360 can play WMAs from a disc, couldn't we hack a DRM'ed WMA file so it opens another file? I found once a "bug" in the WMA DRM, it opens a URL found in the file to obtain a licence. By modifying the URL, I could open any file I ever wanted, or run any program etc. But I guess it wouldn't work...

MrBond

Hmm...
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2005, 11:00:25 AM »

I'd assume that with the 360, opening a DRM protected WMA that you don't have liscense for would simply prompt you with a message that it is protected, and not play. I'm not sure how you'd go about loading anything from there....correct me if I'm wrong though =)

xobdam

Hmm...
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2005, 08:42:01 PM »

They didn't.  The public portion of the key was altered in memory after a buffer underflow error in such a way as to make the key divisible by 3 rather than some extraordinarily huge unknown prime.

That reminds me of the movie cube...

Page created in 0.177 seconds with 17 queries.