xbox-scene.com archived forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

xbox-scene.com forum restored.  registration disabled.  thanks to xboxexpert for the db dump and netham45 for cleaning it up!

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Gentoo  (Read 287 times)

Xustu

Gentoo
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2003, 07:38:37 AM »

Gentoox is a "port" of Gentoo linux.   Nothing is required to run it.  It is a fuil distro.  
More info on Gentoo can be found here:  http://www.gentoo.org/

LiGhTfasT

Gentoo
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2003, 07:45:48 AM »

what resolution does it run in?

SeasonOfFire

Gentoo
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2003, 08:39:50 AM »

Okay, I found this out by accident. Anyone else getting a black screen and orange light, read this:

Download boot_fatx.iso.bz2 and extract boot_fatx.iso from it. You can download it from the xbox linux sourceforge download page here: http://sourceforge.n...?group_id=54192

Burn the iso as the instructions say.

Put the burned CD in your xbox and launch the CD and it should start running through all of the linux stuff and even into Gentoox if you have it installed properly. Then it will say "welcome to gentoox linux blah blah blah"
then login using
login: root
password: xbox (this should answer your question Uziq).

But from there I don't know what to do, I'm still stuck at a prompt. So I
# emerge sync
and that does a bunch of downloads and such and it looks all cool and completes successfully. But I'm still stuck at a prompt. How do I access the GUI?! Anyone? (I'm pretty much a Linux newbie, but a seasoned veteran of the xbox modding scene, by the way)

dankydoo

Gentoo
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2003, 09:01:01 AM »

startx ?

SeasonOfFire

Gentoo
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2003, 09:14:25 AM »

QUOTE (dankydoo @ Apr 4 2003, 06:01 PM)
startx ?

doesn't work

-bash: startx: command not found

Edited by SeasonOfFire, 04 April 2003 - 06:19 PM.

uziq

Gentoo
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2003, 09:37:45 AM »

well, that doesn't really help me much, Season.
I know the user/pass, but I don't see a prompt for them.  "Welcome to Gentoo" is in the very bottom left-hand corner.  so I can't see if anything comes after that.

can I use a controller to input the user/pass?

SeasonOfFire

Gentoo
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2003, 09:43:41 AM »

Yeah, I have the same problem. I hate my TV and how it cuts stuff off. You need a keyboard or you need to SSH in. (no controller input, to my knowledge) To SSH in, network your xbox and use a program for SSHing like this one: http://the.earth.li/...t/x86/putty.exe
Then put in your xbox's IP address and check the box "SSH" and then connect. Then you will see a prompt for logging in.

Edited by SeasonOfFire, 04 April 2003 - 06:44 PM.

pcween

Gentoo
« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2003, 09:58:43 AM »

Thank you, SeasonOfFire, i can finally boot gentoox. Why is there no reference to "boot_fatx.iso.bz2" in the readme-file for gentoox ? I am sure that there are other people having the same issue.
I just found out there is no controller input in gentoox, so i am stuck at the logon-screen ( i think it is the logon-screen, i cannot see the last line on my tv. the last piece of text i can read says "WELCOME to Gentoox - ported to the Xbox by ShALLaX"  ).
So in order to work with gentoox you need a usb-keyboard and usb-mouse connected to the xbox ? is that right ? anyone tried that out already to see if it works ?

uziq

Gentoo
« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2003, 12:13:26 PM »

thanks, Season.  I managed to log in a couple times.

The only way I knew the IP was because there was a conflict with one of the computers on my network.  So I tried the conflicting IP (192.168.2.4), and it went to Gentoo.  smile.gif  but the conflicting computer couldn't browse the network/internet.

So to try and correct the conflicting IP situation, I rebooted the xbox and reloaded Gentoo.  No more conflict, but now I don't know the IP of the xbox.  Does anyone know if it's static or DHCP or what?  

fifa

Gentoo
« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2003, 12:40:54 PM »

Still getting errors mad.gif

Got a further then just the black screen, but now i get cannot open dev/console : no file or directory

Then it says something about attempting to kill init!

pcween

Gentoo
« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2003, 12:40:56 PM »

When booting up gentoox the following errors occur :

CODE
Bringing eth0 up...
Failed to bring eth0 up

ERROR: Problem starting needed services.
      "netmount" was not started.

ERROR: Problem starting needed services.
      "sshd" was not started.

Gentoox fails to load the ethernet-module and therefore does not start the ssh-daemon (sshd). Does anyone know why this happens ? My xbox is connected to a netgear fvs318 hardware-router and the networking with evox works perfectly (ip 192.168.0.7, sn 255.255.255.0, gw 192.168.0.1, dns 192.168.0.1).

Any suggestions ?

fifa

Gentoo
« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2003, 12:49:20 PM »

Got it by loading it from the root of e: and renaming the original genoox.xbe to default.xbe i was able to load genoox biggrin.gif  

uziq

Gentoo
« Reply #27 on: April 04, 2003, 01:08:26 PM »

pcween - apparently Gentoo likes using 192.168.2.4 by default.  (at least it does on my network).  so maybe try changing your router settings to use 192.168.2.x instead of 192.168.0.x.

pcween

Gentoo
« Reply #28 on: April 04, 2003, 01:14:36 PM »

@uziq : do you get the same error-messages during bootup as i do ("failed to bring eth0 up") ?

uziq

Gentoo
« Reply #29 on: April 04, 2003, 01:20:56 PM »

no.  I don't get any error messages.  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Page created in 0.134 seconds with 16 queries.