xbox-scene.com archived forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

xbox-scene.com forum restored.  registration disabled.  thanks to xboxexpert for the db dump and netham45 for cleaning it up!

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Windows 98 Working In Xdsl  (Read 541 times)

vicviper74

Windows 98 Working In Xdsl
« Reply #30 on: April 06, 2005, 07:56:38 PM »

wait!! your telling me that the qemu thing is for linux OS?? well how do we  PC users install windows 98 in the  IMG????

KINDA missleading

well.... I gess im out.
ill wait for another alternantive if it ever comes

RiceCake

« Reply #31 on: April 06, 2005, 08:27:44 PM »

Qemu is compiled for both Windows and Linux, it works on either.

I know computers very well, and even I have some tough times. If you don't understand the tutorial, or don't know alot about computers, forget it. Your just gonna get so damn frustrated.

CandieCorpse

« Reply #32 on: April 06, 2005, 11:27:34 PM »

QUOTE(vicviper74 @ Apr 7 2005, 03:02 AM)
wait!! your telling me that the qemu thing is for linux OS?? well how do we  PC users install windows 98 in the  IMG????

KINDA missleading

well.... I gess im out.

View Post

not to flame but how is this missleading at all? the topic even states :  Windows 98 Working In Xdsl   -- go figuer

m.e

« Reply #33 on: April 07, 2005, 02:28:23 AM »

QUOTE(vicviper74 @ Apr 7 2005, 03:02 AM)
wait!! your telling me that the qemu thing is for linux OS?? well how do we  PC users install windows 98 in the  IMG????

KINDA missleading

well.... I gess im out.

View Post

well the tutorial is for setting everything up on a Windows computer.

But I know what's wrong. I had forgot to mention that the iso need to be named win98.iso.

So this is what step 5 should look like:

STEP 5: Download a kit I made to make it easier. Extract the files. Put the Windows iso into the same folder. The iso needs to be named win98.iso

m.e

« Reply #34 on: April 07, 2005, 02:34:30 AM »

whose of you that get it to work try to edit the 90.sh. Change -m 16 to -m 32 as it mite speed things up. When I hade it on 32 MB it gave me a error saying something in polish. huh.gif

smashly

« Reply #35 on: April 07, 2005, 07:40:42 AM »

QUOTE(m.e @ Apr 7 2005, 09:40 AM)
whose of you that get it to work try to edit the 90.sh. Change -m 16 to -m 32 as it mite speed things up. When I hade it on 32 MB it gave me a error saying something in polish. huh.gif

View Post

I gather you meant the 98.sh file ?

I'm not sure if it's just my PC and the way it works with qemu , but I notice vgabios-cirrus.bin that windows trys to load  causes grief , it loads it but windows 98 throws a wobbly upon reboot.

I noticed If I copied the win98 dir and contenets from the qemu CD to the win98.img after format and launch the setup from the copied win98 folder in the win98.img then I don't get a fatal error on install when windows configures hardware. Even though this chews another 173mb from the win98.img I'm hoping it'll stop a few errors when running it on xbox , this way windows98 will always look there first before bitching about inserting the Win 98 CD rom.

Good work m.e

Cheers.

smashly

« Reply #36 on: April 07, 2005, 11:47:30 AM »

Well after buggerising around with it , the only way I could get windows 98  booted to a desktop of any form on xbox was to start in safe mode by hitting F8 as quemu loads up win98.

I did edit the 98.sh file and set it 24 (only cause m.e said he had probs 32) and it does boot in safe mode fine. Will test differant settings for that a bit later

Alot of the problem stems from the graphics driver that is implemented on booting to the desktop. Tried the Cyrus Logic and Standard VGA and a few others , no success after reboot to desktop , the good ol' BSD with fatal error.  

Another problem is the Primary IDE Controller (dual fifo) doesnt load or is non existant to win98 , this problem I had in qemu while on my PC as well as the graphics problem. I could still boot out of safe mode on the PC in qemu , but with warnings about incorrect settings or driver errors for graphics.
Because the Primary IDE controller doesnt load correctly win98 runs in compatability mode even when not in safe mode , which means slow access to HD data.

Another thing that's not helping much either is I'm using a v1.6 softmodded xbox , dang that excalibur video chip and it's unnatral overscan issues. Will try it on a conexant chip a bit later. My 1.1 xbox ran XDSL perfect fit on the screen without screwing with correct overscan and it ran 800x600 fine as well. But that gimpy xcalibur v1.6 xbox won't have a part of 800x600 or even trying to correct overscan at any res.

I was curious though , when qemu runs does it use actual physical ram or does it use xdsl swapfile when it's out of physical ram? maybe a stupid question but it's the differance between giving your emulated OS a bit more room to play (slowly) or just crashing and burning when you throw to much at it.

I also managed to get WinXP Tablet to boot up in qemu on PC, Had to do the Image as 1700MB otherwise it wouldn't install and I set the ram to 256.
But boot up was like for ever , but at least the first thing that shows up in XP Tablet is a Virtual Keyboard smile.gif  Must admit it looks alot better then win 98 and no fatal errors either , but no chance of that running on xbox even if it was stripped. It's just as much a mem hog as XP Pro.

ahh well back to toying around with it for a bit.

m.e

« Reply #37 on: April 07, 2005, 01:40:50 PM »

QUOTE(smashly @ Apr 7 2005, 06:53 PM)
I was curious though , when qemu runs does it use actual physical ram or does it use xdsl swapfile when it's out of physical ram? maybe a stupid question but it's the differance between giving your emulated OS a bit more room to play (slowly) or just crashing and burning when you throw to much at it.

View Post

Unfortunately I don't think it uses the xdsl swapfile. I'm also having some trouble, tried to install a Swedish version of 98 instead of the Polish one I had. But after the installation it didn't even boot  sad.gif .

Dark_Woofer

« Reply #38 on: April 07, 2005, 03:01:20 PM »

same for me, the fartest i gone was the win98 loading desktop, nothing else. Mine was the french version.

Well, it was fun to try, but don't worth to pay any attention anymore...

dont try it, unleash u know what ur doing

smashly

« Reply #39 on: April 07, 2005, 08:36:34 PM »

Unfortunately I don't think it uses the xdsl swapfile. I'm also having some trouble, tried to install a Swedish version of 98 instead of the Polish one I had. But after the installation it didn't even boot

I think you may be wrong about qemu using xdsl swapfile , I'm not sure though.

Atm I have the ram set to 128 in the 98.sh file , I have xdsl swapfile set at 256MB atm. I boot qemu while hiting F8 (profusly) , I select option 3 to boot in safe mode and wind98 boots into safe mode fine. I then do a properties on My Computer and the info tells me 128MB of ram. I then do a properties on the descktop and go settings and hit apply and ok , then I select Start menu and select Shutdown and select Reboot .. Win98 reboots to the desktop fine. But to boot win98 I have to go through this every time.
If I boot straight into win98 without using safe mode then I get  a BSOD with this error code "fatal exception 06 has occurred at 001D:0000006C" , it's an opcode error. This error is not to do with the what the ram is set at though.

So qemu is using some for of swapfile/virtual memory to be doing it.
Gunna give my stripped down XP a go just for fun..  

If any1 dare says what for , then think of that joke "why does a dog lick his balls"
and that's the same reason I'll try... "cause he can"  tongue.gif

Krizzzopolis

« Reply #40 on: April 08, 2005, 05:07:52 AM »

2k/xp won't boot without detecting a pc bios sad.gif
Unless qemu emulates that too? smile.gif

The Zep Man

« Reply #41 on: April 08, 2005, 06:20:33 AM »

QUOTE(Krizzzopolis @ Apr 8 2005, 12:13 PM)
2k/xp won't boot without detecting a pc bios sad.gif

Unless qemu emulates that too? smile.gif

View Post

It emulates that too.

friedgold

« Reply #42 on: April 08, 2005, 10:59:12 AM »

Hey m.e., great work with the tutorial. Got windows 98 running nicely on the xbox now. Speed wise it's better than I was expecting and very usable. I didn't have any problems with needing to boot in safe mode, etc it all worked without a hitch.

Just got a few ideas/suggestions:

-You need to reboot qemu after running fdisk, otherwise you cannot format c:
-Once you install windows 98 onto the qemu image, you need to reboot and test it a couple of times to finish the win 98 setup
-The qemu website has some suggestions for improving perfomance here
-I used 98lite preview edition to reduce the memory footprint of windows
-I used -m 24 instead of -m 16 and this worked fine.

monkeyboyj

« Reply #43 on: April 08, 2005, 02:38:19 PM »

I got everything working fine except i used Win 95. But i have one problem, how do you get programs on there? can you set it up to use the Xbox dvd drive? if not , how do you get stuff on there?

friedgold

« Reply #44 on: April 08, 2005, 03:35:34 PM »

QUOTE(monkeyboyj @ Apr 8 2005, 09:44 PM)
I got everything working fine except i used Win 95. But i have one problem, how do you get programs on there? can you set it up to use the Xbox dvd drive? if not , how do you get stuff on there?

View Post

Think you can edit 98.sh and add the option -cdrom /dev/cdrom to the line where qemu is started to allow windows access to whatever's in the xbox dvd drive

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Page created in 0.137 seconds with 15 queries.