xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: In-Game XMB Support Coming Sometime In 2008  (Read 172 times)

PS3Scene

• Archived User
In-Game XMB Support Coming Sometime In 2008
« on: January 08, 2008, 11:02:00 PM »

Posted by XanTium | 9-1-2008 0:26 EST

From ps3.thegamereviews.com:

Sony's gaming division might have a small showing at this year's CES, but that isn't keep Paul Purdy from dropping some big PS3 news:  in-game Xross Media Bar (XMB) access is confirmed for 2008.  When pressed for a specific timeframe, the Sony rep simply relayed that Sony's focus at CES is on hardware.

Full Story: ps3.thegamereviews.com

Swahili

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2008, 05:12:00 AM »

Wow, if actual full feature XMB is possible, it will be crazy.
Imagine pausing a game to instead starting watching a movie and after the movie jumping directly into the game again.

I'm guessing this isn't actually that but more in line with what you get with the 360. Messaging and music support. or at least a XMB with less features then the startup one

If not I predict outrage from 360 fanboys, PS3 being first with a feature that is truly awesome.

I'm just curious how this will be possible. I know the ps3 footprint is a lot larger then the 360 so if they streamline its software then they can actually fit a lot more into it without braking older games. But still...

bucko

• Recovered User
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2008, 10:21:00 AM »

QUOTE(Swahili @ Jan 9 2008, 12:48 PM) View Post

Wow, if actual full feature XMB is possible, it will be crazy.
Imagine pausing a game to instead starting watching a movie and after the movie jumping directly into the game again.

I'm guessing this isn't actually that but more in line with what you get with the 360. Messaging and music support. or at least a XMB with less features then the startup one

If not I predict outrage from 360 fanboys, PS3 being first with a feature that is truly awesome.

I'm just curious how this will be possible. I know the ps3 footprint is a lot larger then the 360 so if they streamline its software then they can actually fit a lot more into it without braking older games. But still...

With every SDK update released it's getting to a smaller footprint, I believe it's down to 9MB now?? I can't remember the sources, I wouldn't be surprised if XMB is launched at the same time as Home (rumoured around Spring) and it would be sweet if many of the home features are integrated in to XMB (such as going straight to your apartment for example) that would be kinda sweet.