xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: More Reasons why PS3's Blu-Ray wins over the 360's DVD  (Read 370 times)

PS3Scene

• Archived User
More Reasons why PS3's Blu-Ray wins over the 360's DVD
« on: August 04, 2007, 08:50:00 PM »

Posted by XanTium | 4-8-2007 22:14 EST

From mtechxp.net:

Today, though, id Tech 5 surfaced. Behind closed doors at QuakeCon 2007 in Dallas, id CEO Todd Hollenshead revealed the demo was actually the first look at Rage, an all-new IP. As mentioned at WWDC, the game is in simultaneous development for the PC, Mac, PS3, and 360, abluray2nd will use the second generation of id's "Megatexture" technology. The game will be come on a single Blu-ray disc for PS3 owners, while all other versions will require two DVDs.

Full Story: mtechxp.net

Virtucon

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2007, 08:16:00 PM »

I just have to ask.

Is two DVD's really that big of a deal?  does it cost that much more to make, ship ,stock?  and is it really that much of a pain in the ass to have to switch discs once your 50% through the game?

may be I am missing something.  would 2 DVDs cost less than one Blueray?

Why is two disc so BAD?

twistedsymphony

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2007, 09:04:00 PM »

apparently children die every year when they have to get up off the couch to swap discs..

... its so far...
... it's so taxing...

... wont someone think of the children... ANYONE! PLEASE!  sad.gif

SONY for the future!

Helping you stay planted on the couch since 2006.

Ninja Sniper X

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2007, 09:08:00 PM »

QUOTE(twistedsymphony @ Aug 4 2007, 08:40 PM) View Post

apparently children die every year when they have to get up off the couch to swap discs..

... its so far...
... it's so taxing...

... wont someone think of the children... ANYONE! PLEASE!  sad.gif

SONY for the future!

Helping you stay planted on the couch since 2006.

Rofl!  rotfl.gif

BillMan

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2007, 10:48:00 PM »

it is just the proof of concept, which everyone misses out on.

you got to remember, now it is 2 DVD's  but what about when it becomes 3 or 4.  That is going to be kind of a pain, having everything on one disc will be way better.   I for one prefer 1 versus over.

Hope this all makes since to everyone at least.  That sony has way more space to do a lot more things with.

Doesn't mean it is a better system.  Just a great idea. that is all.

Aerok

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2007, 10:56:00 PM »

It doesnt really matter for linear games but if a game open environment game like GTA requires more than 1 disk then it will start being a pain... Imagine switching disks everytime you change city... ouch!

A good example is Myst for the Playstation 1, it was around 7 cds and we had to switch cds very often...

This post has been edited by Aerok: Aug 5 2007, 05:57 AM

dezza9995

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2007, 10:26:00 PM »

How can you swap dvd's in a 360? Doesnt it reboot the console when you press eject?

Kamasutra318

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2007, 11:11:00 PM »

QUOTE(BillMan @ Aug 5 2007, 12:48 AM) View Post
you got to remember, now it is 2 DVD's  but what about when it becomes 3 or 4.  That is going to be kind of a pain, having everything on one disc will be way better.   I for one prefer 1 versus over.
Hope this all makes since to everyone at least.  That sony has way more space to do a lot more things with.

Doesn't mean it is a better system.  Just a great idea. that is all.
Blue Dragon is 3 DVDs. But I agree.

This may just be a matter convenience, but jokes aside it can't be argued from a consumer perspective that Blu-ray is inferior to DVD at the same price. It's apparently also nicer from a developer perspective.

Chancer

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2007, 06:02:00 AM »

Seems to me people forget how guys and gals moaned when some DVD movies were double sided in the early days. It may only be a quick job to load another disc but it will make a difference to some people and let's all be honest here, not having to change discs is better.

m_hael

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2007, 06:28:00 AM »

not changing disks is better true... but there is something to be considered here that hasn't been mentioned yet.

Insert disk one - cache.
Insert disk two - play and never change.

the end.

It should also be noted that media footprint size has been cited (in industry forums anyways) as the primary reason for the delay of GTA4. I say in industry forums primarily because I don't browse non industry forums very often and haven't seen it mentioned elsewhere.

throwingks

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2007, 07:36:00 AM »

^ I never considered a cache disk simply because Microsoft stated that games wouldn't require a harddisk. Unless the cache is less than 500MB and can fit solely in RAM. But that would seem like a lot of trouble for 500MB of data.

This post has been edited by throwingks: Aug 5 2007, 02:36 PM

Mr Invader

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2007, 11:15:00 AM »

QUOTE(m_hael @ Aug 5 2007, 08:04 AM) View Post

not changing disks is better true... but there is something to be considered here that hasn't been mentioned yet.

Insert disk one - cache.
Insert disk two - play and never change.

the end.

It should also be noted that media footprint size has been cited (in industry forums anyways) as the primary reason for the delay of GTA4. I say in industry forums primarily because I don't browse non industry forums very often and haven't seen it mentioned elsewhere.

What would that require on the HDD? The 360 has 13-14gig of free space; would that mean that the GTAIV cache would take up half of my harddrive space? If thats the case I prefer just changing discs.

m_hael

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2007, 12:18:00 PM »

I am not saying that IS what they will do... I'm just making sure that people are aware.

the maximum size of on disk cache BTW is 2GB.

tummybanana

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2007, 06:08:00 PM »

not really a case of winning is it?...lets face it...developers are getting so fed up of trying to programme for the grill that they just gave up on trying to do the math for compression and need blu ray for that.....give it to 360 devs and they could do it...dvd still has way more left in it than sony will ever admit

m_hael

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2007, 05:53:00 PM »

QUOTE(tummybanana @ Aug 5 2007, 04:08 PM) View Post

not really a case of winning is it?...lets face it...developers are getting so fed up of trying to programme for the grill that they just gave up on trying to do the math for compression and need blu ray for that.....give it to 360 devs and they could do it...dvd still has way more left in it than sony will ever admit

LOL - most of us develop for both.
Pages: [1] 2