xbox-scene.com archived forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

xbox-scene.com forum restored.  registration disabled.  thanks to xboxexpert for the db dump and netham45 for cleaning it up!

Author Topic: Final Tut: Uxe Via Gamesave Ftp  (Read 107 times)

frieko

Final Tut: Uxe Via Gamesave Ftp
« on: October 07, 2004, 08:52:48 AM »

Frieko's guide to the Uber XBE Exploit via EvoX gamesave exploit (MA, 007, SC) and FTP

As always, I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR YOUR ACTIONS AS A RESULT OF THIS DOCUMENT! ALL XBOX MODDING RISKS VOIDING YOUR WARRANTY, BANISHMENT FROM XBOX LIVE, OR DESTRUCTION OF YOUR XBOX SYSTEM!

Thanks to pedrospad, rmenhal, devz3ro, angerwound, and others for creating this awesome mod and for helping me install it.

Idots has done some great work with his ltools UDE installer. If your XBOX is compatible, go ahead and grab that off the usual places and use it. However as of writing it doesn't work well with NTSC-J, PAL or new boxen with Xcalibur video encoders. If this is true, or like me you just like to be difficult, never fear, you can still install UXE on your XBOX with a plain old EvoX-loaded gamesave exploit, which is what I will show you now. This operation SHOULD be compatible with all known xbox from version 1.0 - 1.6. I didn't QUITE write a noob guide, but if you've done any modding in the past and you have a reasonable grasp on the lingo, or you're a clever and brave noob, by all means proceed.

You will need:
> A Free-X compatible game (an original disc) and exploit gamesave loaded with EvoX. Currently hacked games are 007 Agent Under Fire, MechAssault, and Splinter Cell. The gamesaves are available on the usual places.
> An ethernet setup from your xbox to a computer with FlashFXP or other FTP client installed.
> Make a note of your Kernel and Dashboard versions. They can be found in the dashboard, at settings->system info.
> Xbox Kernel 3944 4034 4627 4817 5101 5530 5713 or 5838 (pretty much all known kernels)
> Xbox dashboard with an "Xbox Live' tab. Preferably 4920 or higher. You can get D:4920 from Slayer's (you don't need to install it, just grab update.xbe for step 8), or try popping in a game cd and clicking on 'Xbox Live' which should update.
> fonts6171.zip
> uberpatcher.rar   or alternately the command line version s1994752.zip     (1994752 is the magic number for uxe, it comes from the byte size of the .xbe used)
NOTE: A LOT of people including myself have trouble getting uberpatcher to load. I's probably some .net crap, so you can try upgrading your .net but it's probably easier to just use the command line version.
> metoo-m8plus-v1.4.1.zip [usual places]
> EvolutionX dashboard. [It's either in your gamesave, or grab it off the usual places]
> Idot's dashboard font patcher [usual places, xbe-xip-xbx-tools in PC section]

WARNING: If you have to stop in the middle of this operation, you should first use the backup from Step 6 to restore your xbox to factory spec before you walk away. Although this exploit does NOT suffer from the clock bug after it is installed, leaving the xbox without power while it doesn't have a working hard disk boot sequence (custom or original) will cause your xbox to frag.

Quick technical analysis: PedrosPad found a way to font-hack xboxen without risk of the clock bug. Instead of hacking xboxdash.xbe where the clock bug lives, they find another craptacular .xbe file that's free of the bug but still exploitable, name it xboxdash and hack it instead. Very clever. Basically after that you throw some crafty files into the fonts folder and wait for the magic to happen. xboxdash.xbe gets tricked into loading the Phoenix BIOS Loader, which in essence is the software version of a modchip. It injects a new custom BIOS-kernel into the system.

Devz3ro's original thread can be found here.

If you have everything you need, let's begin:

Step 1. Boot up a temporary EvoX dashboard using a game save exploit like 007:AUF, MechAssault, or Splinter Cell

Here's a guide by jsrlepage:

adeingolf

« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2004, 10:11:50 AM »

Please dont take this as an insult as its not meant to be but this could be exactly what we need until ldots releases his package.

Its great to see more people willing to share their knowledge/experience.

m.e

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2004, 10:54:27 AM »

nice biggrin.gif  

Edited by m.e, 07 October 2004 - 06:54 PM.

Angerwound

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2004, 12:50:37 PM »

Does the m8pack look for those specific bios file names or did you forget to make sure they are named 'xboxrom.bin'?

frieko

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2004, 01:10:39 PM »

yeah i kinda wrote it for two reasons, for people that can't wait for idots, and people that like to know exactly what their auto-installer is doing inside their xbox.

when a New Modding Thing comes along,  i tend to just throw all the files into my existing xbox toolkit and add an evox script rather than have a bunch of different installers for everything. just a matter of personal preference. so admittedly i kinda wrote this for myself as much as i did for you guys...

beerchug.gif  

frieko

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2004, 01:15:25 PM »

gronne

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2004, 02:13:46 PM »

So, I don't have to delete the xbox book.xtf xbox.xtf that are in the root of c:? I remember that was important and needed before.

gronne

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2004, 02:35:57 PM »

frieko

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2004, 04:47:57 PM »

Angerwound

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2004, 05:19:11 PM »

Yep you can leave the ones in the root. The update.xbe used in UXE and checks the fonts folder first.

gronne

« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2004, 04:22:06 AM »

Aren't your answers contradictionary? To me I seems like Frieko says you still have to delete them. And Angerwound says you can leave them as is. Sounds like Angerwound knows the technical process of UXE, so I guess I'll just leave them.

PedrosPad

« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2004, 04:44:07 AM »

frieko

« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2004, 06:25:48 AM »

yeah sorry about the confusion, gronne. you can leave them alone.

gronne

« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2004, 10:42:25 AM »

I installed UXE. And it's working better than I thought. I don't know if it's got to do with the bios or not, but now I can do IGR in evox. Saves me a lot of time when the ftp-connection gets stuck. Really sweet.

ADD: Everyone probably understand it, but nr.14 should be that you shall upload the patched xboxdash.xbe to the box. I fortunately discovered I hadn't uploaded it before I restarted my box, but someone might not.

Edited by gronne, 08 October 2004 - 06:46 PM.

frieko

« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2004, 11:15:52 AM »

fixed, i put it in step 13 so i didnt have to renumber everything haha

yeah it's prolly that sweet sweet M8 bios hookin you up.

Page created in 0.122 seconds with 15 queries.