xbox-scene.com archived forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

xbox-scene.com forum restored.  registration disabled.  thanks to xboxexpert for the db dump and netham45 for cleaning it up!

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Friendtech Media Center  (Read 274 times)

SigTom

Friendtech Media Center
« Reply #30 on: July 29, 2004, 06:07:09 PM »

Im have (had) been running the Xbox Mythtv frontend that cykiller mentioned,  at http://bit.blkbk.com/ on one of my Xboxes to connect to my Mythtv backend in the closet.  I have a HDTV that my XBoxes connect to, and currently (well as of Xebian 1.0.2) mythtv hasnt been able to run on the xbox with the Hi Def pack attached, meaning I have to either use Svideo output on the xbox (blah) or scrap the xbox mythtvfrontend for now an use XBMCs mythtv python interface.  I havent tried using Gentoox and Mythtv on the xbox.....so my question is will this be able to run un 480P and higher?

As far as the tv capture ability, kudos to any and all who find an easy and marketable way to make the Xbox do it either a) on its own w/little or no hw modifications (read can be done by most mod chip installers) or cool.gif in conjunction with an external hw capture device .  No matter how its done, whichever capture device you use should have the following inputs (at least from the viewpoint of someone in the US running digital cable and wants to record above channel 125):

Video: Catv (channels 1-125)
          RCA/S-Video (Channels 1-?)
Audio: RCA as above
         Digital (coax and/or optical)    

I see having those options on any capture device essential.  If its an add on box (I dont see how you can do it otherwise), please make sure it can cap with various inputs as described above.  For the audio digital is viable since the Xbox already supports it going out (or am I thinking way to outside the box on that?). Last question on this, how do you (if you even plan on it) think multiple turners (can record 2 diff chans at once, or record on on input and watch LiveTV on the 2nd, etc.) will play into all this?  

If Im talking about things that havent even been discussed or decided yet, I apologoze for putting the cart before the horse.  I just see these as questions that alot of people either already have or will be asking about in the near future. I also subscribe to the Mythtv Users Mailing List and many people on there ask about using or already do use and Xbox as a frontend.  Are you going to post this over there (or alternatively to the Mythtv Developers Mailing List), or would you like me to do so (if you already have I mustve missed it).

Thats all I can think of.  Say good night Dick.

Good night Dick.

Edited by SigTom, 30 July 2004 - 02:15 AM.

xbox_Steve

Friendtech Media Center
« Reply #31 on: July 31, 2004, 11:59:39 AM »

-Natas-

Friendtech Media Center
« Reply #32 on: July 31, 2004, 12:19:27 PM »

I'm downloading Friendtech Media Center right now and can't wait to use it. I use my modded Xbox as a media center and having something now that is legal makes me very happy. I can't wait to install this bad boy and get it all setup. Those of you that want it to work on G: or loopback are dreaming I think as this program was made in a way to stop you from doing backups for the most part which I think is a good thing.  wink.gif  

Edited by -Natas-, 31 July 2004 - 09:00 PM.

greenmile

Friendtech Media Center
« Reply #33 on: July 31, 2004, 01:27:48 PM »

I was wondering if it is possible for the xbox to do DVD encoding into divx/xvid format.  Ripping DVDs is great, but they take up so much space that it is is impractical to keep a backuped collection of full dvdrips.  I know it would take a while for the xbox to process a divx encode, but is this even possible?

muerte

Friendtech Media Center
« Reply #34 on: July 31, 2004, 01:35:00 PM »

Shallax, you know from the past that I have very much respect for you.  But I cannot say that I agree with the route you are taking with Friendtech Media Center.  Let me remind you of something: you have always supported hacked bios in the past, by releasing an xbe that can be launched with either the use of a hacked bios on a modchip, or an exploit.  There is only one thing that I believe could have changed your mind on this matter.  This is your affiliation with Friendtech.  Don't try to tell me that you aren't getting paid for what you are doing.  It is most obvious by the fact that you have attached Friendtech's name to this product.  Because they do not want to be accused of inducing hacking through the sales of a product with a modchip built in, they have asked you to make it a native install.  Get a grip man... they KNOW who they are selling their upgraded Xboxes to.  And although you may have turned idealistic, you can in no way convince me of the fact that Friendtech has a target audience of people who would like to install only Linux on their Xbox.  I would like to request that you rethink your position on this topic, as I suspect you are considering taking this route with Gentoox.  If you do, you will lose the respect and admiration of the Xbox Scene, and that your wallet will only become fatter from your affiliation with Friendtech.  Expect those donations that you keep talking about to trickle down to a minimum.  People will not appreciate this at all.

ravage73

Friendtech Media Center
« Reply #35 on: July 31, 2004, 01:52:47 PM »

i see nothing wrong with him making money, if that is the case. but i like this app, its just too bad u have to lose your whole f drive. (even though the only thing on it is xbmc and a few other apps).  maybe a smaller toned down version would be better for the "scene". i really think this could be a great rival to xbmc.

muerte

Friendtech Media Center
« Reply #36 on: July 31, 2004, 01:54:26 PM »

xbox_Steve

Friendtech Media Center
« Reply #37 on: July 31, 2004, 01:57:38 PM »

hhhmm i wish he would release a "toned-down" version. i think that version would be very popular

deltop

Friendtech Media Center
« Reply #38 on: July 31, 2004, 03:34:39 PM »

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but if MCE is simply a modified version of Cromwell(GPL), booting into a stripped down version of GentooX, and running a modified version of MythTv(GPL), then wouldn't it be a relatively simple matter to modify the code to stop it messing with the G partition?

After all if it's being done by the book MCE itself will be GPL therefore you'll be releasing the code?

Please corect me if I'm wrong. Not trying to cause a problem just interested in any problems which may pop up because of this line of reasoning.

muerte

Friendtech Media Center
« Reply #39 on: July 31, 2004, 04:48:32 PM »

Infamous_One

Friendtech Media Center
« Reply #40 on: July 31, 2004, 06:11:36 PM »

wink.gif  where are you guys downloading it!!?? , i went to the Official Page and i get an error!!!  dry.gif  , the page says.

Cheloperins

Friendtech Media Center
« Reply #41 on: July 31, 2004, 07:12:13 PM »

Don't bother with Gentoox FriendTech MCE.... It is slow.... ya ya ya I know it was not meant to run on a standard xbox.... and not everyone has a DreamX.  XBMC is ten times better that Gentoox FriendTech MCE.  I relize this is beta.  MCE has a long way to go before it will ever be in XBMCs league.

muerte

Friendtech Media Center
« Reply #42 on: July 31, 2004, 07:16:41 PM »

muerte

Friendtech Media Center
« Reply #43 on: July 31, 2004, 07:18:49 PM »

Wait... I'm starting to understand what's going on here. Friendtech wants to (has to) release this because of linux licensing.   So they make it run slow (and only natively) on a normal xbox.  Its supposed to make us want to buy a DreamX.  We're not suckers, you know.

misterninja

Friendtech Media Center
« Reply #44 on: July 31, 2004, 08:14:28 PM »

does it format it before the install or does it just format the f: partition when your run the xbe..  and if it is anything like gentoox then it should have a distro.rar or someother rar wouldnt that work to just to an extract and install it that way... prolly wont work but it is worth a try for my old 20 gig hdd.. if none answer before i try then i will post my resaults.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Page created in 0.128 seconds with 15 queries.