xbox-scene.com archived forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

xbox-scene.com forum restored.  registration disabled.  thanks to xboxexpert for the db dump and netham45 for cleaning it up!

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Friendtech Media Center  (Read 276 times)

fff

Friendtech Media Center
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2004, 02:39:22 AM »

cukiller : i think you misunderstood my sentences (or i didn't explained well). When i said my dvd was broken, i didn't talked about the DVDRom of the Xbox but the dvd itself. I think the coorect word is that the dvd is scratched but i'm not sure.
For the CD ripping and dvd ripping, you're right, it's getting more and more illegal.

I'm not against MCE...as i haven't seen the app!!!
This is my idea... People code whatever they like

cykiller

Friendtech Media Center
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2004, 03:36:27 AM »

Hey guys thanks for bringing this to my attention and also trying to bash the still FREE AND LEGAL MCE.

FYI

When using the ripping\transcode feature in �good� options MCE does not hack the CSS protection, which would openly break copyright laws. It actually uses the Xbox dvd-rom with mplayer (soon to be xine for dvd menus) to unscramble the MPEG code for lawful playback, and then sends it to your video folder on your F: partition. For �perfect� option I have to say that I am quite unsure at this point but will give feedback as soon as I get enough information. If that is the case then there will be no �perfect� mode in the MCE but dvd ripping\transcoding would remain in the build with �good� as standard. If you want to do something with your spare time than try to destroy what we have just occupy your time by doing some research so you can prove yourself because the information I have provided is nothing more than true. This is similar to the Xcopy case where they use the same exact method which was ruled LEGAL.

Another thing that boggles me:

�Film fans would be allowed to make legal copies of DVDs for use on portable players, under a plan agreed by US media and technology giants. The move, involving companies such as Disney, IBM, MS and Warner Bros, marks a shift in the movie industry's stance on online movie piracy.
The alliance is currently developing content protection technology ready for licensing later this year. DVDs are presently protected by content scrambling which prevents copying. The computer and consumer electronics industries have pushed to allow less restricted sharing of media between TVs, computers, and portable players�
dated July �04 on many sites (google it up)

Hmm, this also brings something into hand; can we classify the Xbox as a portable DVD player? How can it be portable without a screen attached? When a portable DVD player is used when screen is closed and used for home DVD is it still labeled transportable as the Xbox would be without screen at all?
Until they classify what as what then we can argue about this, otherwise just sit back and enjoy these nice pics I will provide later today (thanks to Kris of xboxrepairguide.com). Kris has also provided 2 video�s to show the capabilities of DVD ripping and enjoying another movie at the same time with no skipping whatsoever. He has tested it on a retail box with WD1600 HD with 7200rpm 8MB cache. Ahh, I can also note that he will get full usage of the 160 gig without the need of hacked LBA-48 bios, I have tried a 250gig that works also and gives full usage of it through Cromwell but that doesn�t surprise many I bet being as though it is Linux.

Hope this answers your questions fellaz, if not ask some more, seems most are more interested than hating the software but show ignorance to feed their curiosity�Damn maybe we need a slogan... "MCE the reality of anticipation"

CyKiller
muhaha.gif

Edited by cykiller, 28 July 2004 - 11:44 AM.

WilliamChgo

Friendtech Media Center
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2004, 06:19:10 AM »

splash911

Friendtech Media Center
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2004, 07:10:14 AM »

And for those of you who haven't hear of my project yet, it's to build a streaming hardware for TV, antenna and RCA (baseband) signals.

That TV2LAN, would be an essential part of any PVR, or for sharing TV on a LAN. Without any PC.

The project is starting pretty well, check the topics
on XBMC : http://www.xboxmedia...t=ST;f=4;t=5223
On X-S : http://forums.xbox-s...0

The project is aiming for any PC running Windows, Linux or even for a MAC. At the end, a MCE would take great use of it (and still keep performance top notch due to encoded stream).

However, an XBMC patch is still on the table, but to sell an Xbox with full PVR functionnalities without a PC (a simple plug and PVR, MCE, Xbox gaming machine), it's gonna be a priceless marketing argument.

Good luck guys, hope to test that MCE asap!
And to all of you complaining about others work, STFU. Have you bring anything to the scene, dev scene ? I don't mean sharing warez by that...  mad.gif

So when someone has already work a month on something, don't cry and yell saying it doesn't satisfied your needs. They haven't ask for your needs. They don't work for you, and when it'll be free and distributed, feel free to modify it yourself to adapt your presomptuous needs.

ozi83

Friendtech Media Center
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2004, 08:21:52 AM »

this sounds pretty good as it will do everything xbmc can do and it adds a few extras as well, i am curious as to the quality of any PVR capabillities as usb 1 has such a limited bandwidth or will we have a network connection insted of usb? and will there be any features that wont work unless it has 128 megs to play with ?

bucko

Friendtech Media Center
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2004, 09:08:37 AM »

This looks really cool, can't wait to see the screenies, videos etc. I remember xbox-linux typed up some news about this a while back, is this what all that about is? I can't remember what xbox-linux said, definatly somthing about media capabilities in a mini type linux distro with ease of use. anyways GL! beerchug.gif  

cykiller

Friendtech Media Center
« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2004, 11:09:21 AM »

Long night fellaz but im back to answer some questions and the pictures are now availible (will get to that later).

WilliamChgo, in the TW offices the engineers says it is 100% possible to run without a problem but as you state for the USB 1.1 it will be rather crappy on a retail box (unsure about Bravo system) so we were going to change the USB's to 2.0's or that was atleast the idea which they have confirmed but seemed skeptical. Plans for this is still pretty undecided of which method to use but for now I can say we are leaning towards the network connection.

ozi83, half of your answer is above m8te, as for your second: Ofcourse things will run a little slower but all features added in right now are retail Xbox friendly and work 100% without the RAM upgrade.

bucko, screens are here and now it's time they be showed. I am quite sure they were talking about MythTV here - http://bit.blkbk.com/
It is a completely different project but very similar, it runs from Debian though and I haven't tested it to see excactly what it can do.

Splash, thanks for the support as to everyone else also. Your project may merge into MCE when you get your hands on it, I am sure the XBMC will have the PVR features also once finished so people will have it if they choose to.

CyKiller
muhaha.gif  

Bwsk8

Friendtech Media Center
« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2004, 11:32:23 AM »

I would love it if it could partition 25gb away from my f drive and run on the g drive. If you had the option of doing that or someting similar I bet lots more people would use it because of the dvd ripping, pvr, gaim, and mozilla.

gbazone

Friendtech Media Center
« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2004, 11:44:02 AM »

Surfing the web on a TV sucks, try it.

Sord_Fish

Friendtech Media Center
« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2004, 11:48:26 AM »

splash911

Friendtech Media Center
« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2004, 01:04:45 PM »

Concerning the USB adapter, it's gonna be up to you guys, but to update for USB 2.0 will restrain most of the market for the PVR.

I think in that way only the TV2LAN is a viable solution. Which can be market for PC/Xbox/Mac. Requires no additional hardware modification for original Xbox owner, doesn't take a gamepad port and can be part of a wireless setup. The Xbox-PVR would then no longuer be bind to the main TV.

Waiting to hear from you Cykiller.  

cykiller

Friendtech Media Center
« Reply #26 on: July 28, 2004, 05:55:06 PM »

Hey fellas you have asked for the pictures and videos and Kris of XboxRepairGuide.com has provided it.

Check head news of Shallax's Gentoox Site

CyKiller
muhaha.gif  

ghostavel

Friendtech Media Center
« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2004, 09:13:07 AM »

great work guys ive been waiting for xbox to have pvr fonctions,will u guys be selling the usb 2.0 kits,i dont quite understand,and will 128 ram upgrade take advantage of ur player,and how would the quality be for the prv.oh i saw the video where u guys were ripping a dvd while watching a dvd pretty cool. biggrin.gif  

Potato Bob

Friendtech Media Center
« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2004, 12:02:26 PM »

gimeme gimeme

biggrin.gif

then ill trade it in for computer parts

Cheloperins

Friendtech Media Center
« Reply #29 on: July 29, 2004, 03:58:00 PM »

cykiller- is the Friendtech media center going to be a stripped down version of Gentoox or another Distro? I am excited about what this team is doing with this project... I agree with other X-S members... to make this a viable alternative to XBMC hopefully you can find a way to get it to run without needing 128MB ram with minimal hardware changes.What many users of XBMC like is the ease of configuration/use.... Gentoox is probably the easiest Linux distro to setup... I am sure Shallax can find a way to strip it down even further. I am looking forward to the PVR functionality.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Page created in 0.122 seconds with 14 queries.