xbox-scene.com archived forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

xbox-scene.com forum restored.  registration disabled.  thanks to xboxexpert for the db dump and netham45 for cleaning it up!

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Friendtech Media Center  (Read 275 times)

Bwsk8

Friendtech Media Center
« on: July 27, 2004, 08:54:34 PM »

ShALLaX

Friendtech Media Center
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2004, 09:42:32 PM »

Note the emphasis on "legal".  The whole point of this is to be a legal solution that can be freely distributed with new Xbox units or installed legally by users.  I dont care about all you warez kiddies who want to *cough* "backup" games.  As for the modchip issue... yes I will need to clean this up.  I'll probably make the BIOS flashing non-compulsary so that people can flash it by hand (in the case of the Xenium and SmartXX).

If you buy a Friendtech Bravo, it will come with an upgraded HDD, so thats not an issue.  

There are also many many possibilities since its built entirely around opensource architecture and MythTV is modular.

Its amusing how fast people are to respond to news, though wink.gif

Edited by ShALLaX, 28 July 2004 - 06:05 AM.

Bwsk8

Friendtech Media Center
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2004, 09:59:12 PM »

You basically called the whole xbox-scene warez kiddies.

ShALLaX

Friendtech Media Center
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2004, 10:03:59 PM »

Oh no(!)

Edited by ShALLaX, 28 July 2004 - 06:09 AM.

gbazone

Friendtech Media Center
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2004, 10:16:44 PM »

Since when was this scene about being legal? Gentoox is very slow and looks like shit on a TV, XBMC rocks. I think these guys are wasting their time. Who the fuck wants to take up that much hard drive space for just the player? Who the fuck wants to boot gentoox every time they start their xbox? I had the latest version of Gentoox on my xbox and it couldnt even play my DVD rips without lagging.

Nothing against you ShALLaX...

Edited by gbazone, 28 July 2004 - 06:19 AM.

cykiller

Friendtech Media Center
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2004, 10:32:23 PM »

For Bwsk8, your not understanding this here, Friendtech sells modified systems that improves quality and now are introducing the software with the system for commercial usage. Anyone with brains know a highly commercial company has to have everything LEGAL or it bring many problems.

For gbazone, take advice i gave Bwsk8 for legal issues. You've stated that you've had chppy dvd playback for gentoox but you haven't tried it on MCE so you don't know excactly what's going on. XBMC rocks as I know this also but MCE is powerful enough to actually Rip a full size dvd and stream a movie all at once on an retail xbox with no skipping. Gentoox is a little slower at it becuase it uses rootfs which is a partition inside of a partition but works fine. If you don't know what's going try to keep the bad mouth talk limited.

This software is intended for the Bravo system (733mhz P3 256K cache with 128MB ram) but works perfect (slower of course but) and is 100% stable.

CyKiller
muhaha.gif  

gbazone

Friendtech Media Center
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2004, 10:36:16 PM »

XBMC requires like 30mb of space, this will take a few gigs. Linux on Xbox is not practical.

cykiller

Friendtech Media Center
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2004, 10:52:45 PM »

gbazone, this is why people have choice, if you choose not to use it just sit back and enjoy XBMC. Enough said then and have a nice day. Any other questions or random childish unmeaningful comments? I am not here to argue which is better and yada yada, just to announce and answer any questions the scene has.

CyKiller
muhaha.gif

ShALLaX

Friendtech Media Center
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2004, 10:53:04 PM »

It takes up "a few gigs" because it uses the hdd as storage for your media.  For people who want to keep things legal and use their Xbox as a media center and PC, there is no other alternative.  XBMC doesnt have dvd ripping which can be run in the background whilst doing other things.  MCE is not part of Gentoox at all, so you dont have to boot up Gentoox and click icons to get it to work.  It runs perfectly on a stock Xbox with a modchip.

Also, XBMC doesnt have the facilities to be a PVR or to connect to a backend which records shows for you.  After some testing, the Xbox will be able to record tv shows on its own with a USB TV card.  Also with the addition of Gentoox being part of the package, you have things such as GAIM for instant messaging, which xbmc doesnt have.  Dont bad mouth it until you try it please.  If you're not willing to try it then you have no room to complain.

As CyKiller said, Friendtech have to keep things legal, they cant go around saying they support illegal software and they especially cant go around distributing it.

If you dont care about keeping things legal, then fine... thats a moral (or rather lack of) issue with you.  There are a lot of people like myself who would like to use the Xbox as a media center and PC replacement whilst keeping it legal.  If this product isnt for you, fine... but dont say theres no one out there that it would suit.  Ive said it with Gentoox and I'll say it with this.  Ill be happy even if I'm the only person that uses this software.

Thanks

fff

Friendtech Media Center
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2004, 11:38:39 PM »

I'm not sure that MCE will be a success.
Why? of course it has the great advantage to be totally free but it requires huge space and you'll have to forget about the F drive...
Shallax, you say that it's not for people who dwl games, but excuse me, i've got some xbox games and i've back them up on my HD. Without the F drive, i would have lost one of my games since a dvd a broken.
In fact, i think that MCE is designed for people wanting a low cost computer. For people wanting to keep playing games on their Xbox, it's xbmc.

cykiller

Friendtech Media Center
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2004, 11:59:13 PM »

ShALLaX

Friendtech Media Center
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2004, 12:11:24 AM »

Yep, ill wager you used xbmc/ evox to backup the game which are illegal.  But I agree, this software is more for people who want to play games they have bought (i.e. they have the original DVD) and want to use their Xbox as a media center and PC.  There is no illegal bios included that will allow users to boot backed up games.  

In the UK, there is no "fair use" clause to allow users to have backups of games, so providing this as a feature would mean Friendtech could not export to the UK.

FastShow

Friendtech Media Center
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2004, 01:09:33 AM »

Wow, how can people bitch so much about something that's being provided completely free of charge!?  I think the whole project sounds like a great idea - we all know much of the populous of Xbox-Scene has a different take on what's 'legal' to do and what isn't - but an entire legal media centre, for free, how can that be anything except a great thing?

Good luck with the project guys, I've very much looking forward to seeing it in action.

clown88

Friendtech Media Center
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2004, 01:16:58 AM »

This sounds great. Although I don't like losing my F drive. My Dvd drive IS broken, but I luckily had backed up all my games first.
(When I originally started modded my xbox it was so I could backup Halo. My disc was scratched and The Maw wouldn't load.)

I really like the DVR idea though.
Maybe I'll buy a laptop drive so I can switch them.
In that case, is there any way to have 1 full partition covering the drive?
Also, whats with the 256k TSOP? I'm running a 512k switch mod, so where does that leave me?

As for the piracy/fatx arguement. I think its sad that MS must jerk everyone around. I sat there with my mouth open for a good minute when I found a linux tute on the official PS site.
Its a pain in the arse that linux doesn't run natively on Fatx, I paid $388 dollors for my xbox, and in my opinion that price included the filesystem.
But the bottom line for all you haters is, if you don't like it, code it yourself.

Cosworth

Friendtech Media Center
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2004, 01:41:21 AM »

I find the "legal" discussion somewhat moot as dvd-ripping and cd-ripping is forbidden in many countries. I'm assuming MCE includes some basic DeCSS feature for DVD's and similar for CD's. UK has been mentioned (Even modchips are illegal in the UK now), but basically the same goes for the rest of the EU. ANY software/hardware that circumvents a copy protection scheme is illegal.
While that law is silly if implemented to the full extent, it IS the law.

"Legal" is not a synonym for "ethical".

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Page created in 0.137 seconds with 16 queries.