xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Xbox Hard Drive <failure>  (Read 393 times)

feflicker

• Archived User
Xbox Hard Drive <failure>
« on: June 13, 2003, 05:01:00 PM »

Hello fellow X-S! I am working on another members xbox, and the hard drive has failed. I have been reading the tutorials and looking through the forums, but the answers are eluding me  ph34r.gif

Here is the what happened:
-----------------------------------

1. Matrix (xodus) was installed.

2. Before evox was installed and the "backup" option was run, the xbox hard drive failed.

3. Not knowing why the xbox wouldn't boot, the matrix was removed. Xbox still wouldn't boot <obviously>.

4. Hard drive makes a loud "squeel" when power is applied, followed by grinding noises.

Here are the problems:
-----------------------------------

1. Since "backup" was never performed, I cannot retrieve the hard disk password (key), in order to try and get the saved game files off of the failing drive (connected to a pc).

2. We do not have a backup of any files from this xbox hdd.

3. Without the working hard drive in the xbox, I can't use the hdd swap trick to build a new replacement hard drive through Evox or Slayers.

4. If I used *ghost* to image <my> working hdd, using sector by sector copy, I would still need to know the original hdd key in order to lock the replacement drive, correct (for use with xbox live where mod chip is disabled)?  (I read in another post that the key is printed inside the drive, so could I disassemble the bad drive and retrieve it?)

What is the best course of action to fix this? (To be honest, I recommended that the person sell this xbox for parts and just get a refurbished xbox from ebgames as a replacement, cutting the losses...)

Anyone have any ideas, that would be relatively quick and easy to fix this? (I am trying to avoid laboring for 8-10 hours to fix this...)

Thanks in advance for any help!  beerchug.gif

rms2001

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2003, 05:24:00 PM »

Hard drive makes a loud "squeel" when power is applied, followed by grinding noises.

Sounds like the head crashed.

I read in another post that the key is printed inside the drive

I have never herd of that, all though I have never went looking for some thing like that either.

I recommended that the person sell this xbox for parts and just get a refurbished xbox

Ya that would be the best thing to do I would think.

feflicker

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2003, 08:55:00 PM »

Why don't you just rechip it put a new hard drive in it and use evox to prepare it. Worked for me. I beleive the hard drive that failed was a segate correct me if I'm wrong

The problem is that, to my knowledge, the xbox won't boot without a working hard drive installed. I don't think I can put a blank <unpartitioned> hard drive in the xbox and boot it up, even from a disc. Right?  huh.gif

If there is a way, please share! I have been unable to find it...  sad.gif

feflicker

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2003, 09:10:00 PM »

Of course you can add an unpartitioned HDD and boot from a disc -- that's what you would usually do in order to make use of a larger HDD. EvoX dash (booted from disc) then partitiones the drive for you.

Thank you "cannondale".

Now I have to find the files to put on the new drive, and the original unlock code (so I can lock this new drive)...

About the q's... I had a DVD burner when I chipped my xbox, so I haven't really dug into the hdd swap until now. I just want to get this xbox fixed... Help out a fellow X-S  biggrin.gif

rms2001

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2003, 09:18:00 PM »

I don't know why I didn't add this before.
If the other X-S user dose not care about locking his HDD, format a new drive in your XBox with your back up files keep it unlocked and put it in his. It should boot right up.

feflicker

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2003, 09:21:00 PM »

If the other X-S user dose not care about locking his HDD

That is what i was thinking too... But he uses live, so he needs to be able to boot up without the mod-chip on, into the standard dash. I am pretty sure the drive has to be locked in order to do that, right? And it has to be locked with the original password, right?

feflicker

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2003, 11:29:00 PM »

Well, got hard drive installed (blank still). Just frags now... I am going to try re-flashing the matrix and aligning it again tomorrow... Hopefully it will boot to a point where I can eject the dvd-rom and try to boot evox  wink.gif

Anyone have any other pointers?

feflicker

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2003, 11:08:00 AM »

Ok... Re-flashed the matrix with X24976.02... Also did a verify on the flash. This is a good .bin that I have used before, so I know it is not corrupt or anything.

I reinstalled the matrix, got a flashing green in mode 1... When in mode2 it is solid green. So far so good, right?

However, with everything plugged back in, I still get green, green, red/green/red/green and it will not boot.

I have inspected the board, reseated all cables etc. There is nothing *visibly* wrong with the board. No solder splashes, trace problems, etc.

It doesn't matter if I have the old *bad* hard drive installed or the new *blank* drive installed.

I am at a loss as to what to try next...  unsure.gif

EDIT: I have my replacement hdd jumpered at cable select, and the original drive is  a seagate, and the jumper is on the 2nd pair from the ribbon cable...

feflicker

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2003, 04:43:00 PM »

I tried both evox discs that I had... A cd-r and a dvd-rw, both used to work fine when I had my thompson drive (that is what this one has)...

The problem is that the machine won't even try to boot. It goes on/off, on/off, on, with green, green, red/green/red/green, respectively.

In the past, this has usually pointed to the LPC bus. However, this xbox does this with/without the matrix chip installed.

For the heck of it, I: re-inspected the board, resoldered the lpc points to clean them up, re-assembled, and still no luck.

It seems to me that this mobo is bad... I doubt it is the chip since I was able to remove it and use the external flasher without issue. The pogo's are all in good shape too, and I am getting the green light in mode1, and it is green when booting into mode2.

Hmmmm  huh.gif

spyman

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2003, 03:58:00 PM »

detach the d0 point and see if it still gives you the prob... also when u test it make sure the case and all is on.

feflicker

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2003, 10:58:00 PM »

detach the d0 point and see if it still gives you the prob... also when u test it make sure the case and all is on.

The case is completely assembled. The matrix uses pogo pins... When the chip is removed, nothing is touching d0. It frags with or without the chip   blink.gif

Anyone else care to read the book above and comment  rotfl.gif

methadone_pretty

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2003, 11:20:00 PM »

so with the chip on, it frags and goes on and off
with the chip off does it do the same?

FRAG with on/off suggests that it is not finding a valid BIOS anywhere. with the chip off, i'd expect it to frag - but not go on and off. If its frgging on/off with the chip disabled then theres something else wrong. It should be booting to a 'your xbox requires service screen'

feflicker

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2003, 11:22:00 PM »

so with the chip on, it frags and goes on and off
with the chip off does it do the same?

FRAG with on/off suggests that it is not finding a valid BIOS anywhere. with the chip off, i'd expect it to frag - but not go on and off. If its frgging on/off with the chip disabled then theres something else wrong. It should be booting to a 'your xbox requires service screen'

Exactly. I think the mobo is bad, since it won't boot with or without the matrix chip installed. It does the on/off deal either way.. Doesn't even try to boot.  blink.gif

feflicker

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2003, 11:32:00 PM »

if its just the TSOP, then an LPC mod chip should boot still. Double check you have the matrix flashed and alligned properly before giving up on the board

That is what I thought at first. I figured the TSOP was attempted to be flashed, and had a bad write. But if that was the case, with the matrix installed it would boot. I have re-programmed the chip a few times... It verifies fine. I have aligned it appx. 15 times.

I am not a matrix user, but I consider myself an expert on aligning it now  biggrin.gif

feflicker

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2003, 11:00:00 PM »

try the chip in your xbox, or try another chip in the suspect xbox

Yeah... That is what I have been trying. (Swapping parts around). The matrix chip is fine. It works in my other xbox... I am almost 100% now it is the mobo...