xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Nand Write Protect Questions  (Read 178 times)

korn_16_f_t_l

• Archived User
Nand Write Protect Questions
« on: May 05, 2011, 05:57:00 PM »

so i have sucesfuly JTAG'd my zephyr (JTAG Dash 9199) 360 as well as a 12v fan mod and adding another fan to the heat pipe radiator sync.

i have been doing some reading around and found a way to write protect the NAND by a switch that grounds the NAND WP point to (im amusing any ground works after all no juice is present in a ground, i chose to ground via PSU plug pin 10) and decided i wanted to use it to keep some one from screwing up my JTAG as well as a few other reasons like if i want to connect to a LAN at some one else's house that is ultimately connected to the internetfor ref

i was curious if this NAND protect was a good and functional mod what things do i need to be aware of with the mod aside the fact i will need it disabled to set the time and do the set up process and such.

the mod has been around for a while now so im assuming several people have used it im curious:

A: if your console got banned while you had this mod installed did it work as promised leaving the 360 functions intact (streaming hdd install you know all the stuff a XBL ban will take from you)

B: if you used this mod what things did you have to be cautious about when/if you had to flip the switch to turn it on or off for cretin standard non NAND related 360 functions several times stuff like that (obviously you had to turn it off to update dashboards which is a NAND falsh)

C. any sever side effects to this mod in particular

for reference here is the mod i am referring to http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?sho...696613&st=0  this mod seemed new in this thread and am hoping others have used it more or others have used it in there mods and can report a little bit more information on it than what was reported in that thread

thanks in advance for any information regarding this issue

i have combed threw about 1/2 of the thread but it seems to be lacking the information i would like to know (pretty much what i listed above)

hangover

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2011, 10:53:00 PM »

Its not the nand you need to write protect, its the efuses in the cpu which burn and permanently update the cpu so as to be not exploitable. You need to either remove a tiny resistor or bridge 2 tiny pads on the underside of the mobo- a magnifying glass and fine soldering skills are needed.

korn_16_f_t_l

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2011, 12:25:00 AM »

QUOTE(hangover @ May 6 2011, 05:53 AM) *

Its not the nand you need to write protect, its the efuses in the cpu which burn and permanently update the cpu so as to be not exploitable. You need to either remove a tiny resistor or bridge 2 tiny pads on the underside of the mobo- a magnifying glass and fine soldering skills are needed.

do you have a a link to a tutorial or picture of these points?
how small is small for example soldering on the leg of the NAND is something i would rather not attempt (thats why i used the alt points)

all tho i do know the e-fuses are contained in the CPU so im going to assume (and if im right its some thing i will not be able to do without lots of practice) that the solder points have to deal with the tiny circuitry under the CPU (to compare circuitry it would be like soldering/de-soldering on a CPU socket for a PC mobo)

is there alternate points for this mod? every lead leads to some where else will where the lead achieve the same goal?

and another question i am curious about i have the CPU key (obviously because of xcell and freeboot) that regardless of the E-Fuse's beng blown (unless the efuse's effect the performance of the JTAG itself) i thought the efuse's simply blew the "fuse's" that were read in the launch of xcell that gave us the CPU key in the fitst place (the fuse sets read off at launch) ONLY making it not possible to retrieve the CPU key (wich is  fuse set 3 and 5 or 4 and 6 on the xcell launch)

im not entireley sure how the whole JTAG exploit works how eve i would like to be elightned, in laymens terms how ever kind of like how the PS3 dongle was explained at the CCC confrence PS3 epic fail video i understood that ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LuIlbmn-4A4 )

thank you for your reply i was beginning to think i wasent going to get one lol

another question is it possible to blow the efuse's without the actual update being installed?

hangover

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2011, 03:34:00 AM »

QUOTE(korn_16_f_t_l @ May 6 2011, 04:25 PM) *

do you have a a link to a tutorial or picture of these points?
how small is small for example soldering on the leg of the NAND is something i would rather not attempt (thats why i used the alt points)

all tho i do know the e-fuses are contained in the CPU so im going to assume (and if im right its some thing i will not be able to do without lots of practice) that the solder points have to deal with the tiny circuitry under the CPU (to compare circuitry it would be like soldering/de-soldering on a CPU socket for a PC mobo)
is there alternate points for this mod? every lead leads to some where else will where the lead achieve the same goal?

and another question i am curious about i have the CPU key (obviously because of xcell and freeboot) that regardless of the E-Fuse's beng blown (unless the efuse's effect the performance of the JTAG itself) i thought the efuse's simply blew the "fuse's" that were read in the launch of xcell that gave us the CPU key in the fitst place (the fuse sets read off at launch) ONLY making it not possible to retrieve the CPU key (wich is  fuse set 3 and 5 or 4 and 6 on the xcell launch)

im not entireley sure how the whole JTAG exploit works how eve i would like to be elightned, in laymens terms how ever kind of like how the PS3 dongle was explained at the CCC confrence PS3 epic fail video i understood that ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LuIlbmn-4A4 )

thank you for your reply i was beginning to think i wasent going to get one lol

another question is it possible to blow the efuse's without the actual update being installed?

I dont have any links but if you search you'll find pics, you dont actually touch the efuses you only disable the ability for them to be burnt with an update. You dont touch the nand chip either, once the efuse is burnt that its cpu key or not you are back to a stock console. Its not minute soldering but very small points that need to be bridged.