xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: No Picture At All (no Red Lights Either)  (Read 785 times)

x3m

• Archived User
No Picture At All (no Red Lights Either)
« on: August 01, 2008, 08:47:00 PM »

same here  dry.gif

timechange01

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2008, 12:35:00 AM »

Screw this Im just sending it back to Microsoft.

Wilhelm_I

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2008, 02:00:00 AM »

For how long did you leave it running?
This usually happens for the 0022
Sometimes it take like 3 minutes for the ROD to show up and the 360 doesnt play the start animation etc within this time...
Make sure if it really shows the ROD before sending it in, turn it on then do something else and come back 10 minutes later, then you should definitely see the ring...

timechange01

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2008, 03:16:00 AM »

I left the console on and it shows me (3 red lights) 0022 after exactly 30 seconds. Call Microsoft and have it sent back?

Wilhelm_I

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2008, 03:24:00 AM »

QUOTE(timechange01 @ Aug 2 2008, 11:52 AM) View Post

I left the console on and it shows me (3 red lights) 0022 after exactly 30 seconds. Call Microsoft and have it sent back?

I was right smile.gif
Well it is kind of impossible to fix this one permanently with the X-Clamp replacement only since it is a bridged solder joint in the GPU-(H)ANA chip area.
I have fixed three of these permanently and none has gone back to the R.O.D yet...
So what you have to do is.
Heatgun the bottom of the mainboard under this area then wait 45 minutes and do the top, do it exactly like explained in my tutorial....
Afterwards apply the X-Clamp replacement and make sure that you dont screw it in too tight, just snug...

Wilhelm_I

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2008, 04:14:00 AM »

QUOTE(timechange01 @ Aug 2 2008, 12:28 PM) View Post

Yes you were correct. But I dont know Wilhelm_I Ive reflowed this one single console about 5 or 6 times already this year. Its like I get a new error code every other week. And I always strictly follow your heatgunning tutorial and routine.

I think its time to just have this one repaired/replaced by MS. And then sell it.

Argh ye probably the solder balls are too fucked up then mate.

Watch out what you are doing, you cant just send it back to M$ because this is warranty fraud wink.gif

CamaroGuy

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2008, 04:15:00 AM »

inb4ban  fraud is against the rules man

hippodude100

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2008, 05:33:00 AM »

I have a crappy motherboard here and when I reflow the gpu and that works I screwed up the ram bricks.
after that I disconnect 2 ram brick completely zo that there are onlythe contacts left.
It doesn't give a rrod, the green led in the middle just blinks ...

If you cannot reflow the ram bricks properly then you are screwed.

Wilhelm_I

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2008, 05:40:00 AM »

QUOTE(timechange01 @ Aug 2 2008, 01:19 PM) View Post

Well when I do check the status of the console online, the console is still under warranty.

Ye but you opened it lol
Once you have opened it your warranty is gone!

timechange01

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2008, 06:22:00 AM »

Well I have a friend and he did not have his warranty sticker but his console was still under warranty. He sent it to Microsoft and they just repaired it with no hassle. I dont know maybe I should just keep the old console for now and do more testing with it during the next few days for future repairs.

Wilhelm_I

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2008, 06:56:00 AM »

Posts Advocating Fraud

Do not make any posts advising/ advocating Fraud. Do not post advising or asking how to return goods and dishonestly attempt to obtain a warranty repair or replacement if you have voided the warranty by tampering with or opening the casing on a console. Posters asking how to get round the issue of voiding the warranty and posters offering advice on the same will lose their accounts here. If you break the seal you void the warranty.

So you better stop talking about it now!

Wilhelm_I

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2008, 05:15:00 PM »

QUOTE(Dreamlinker @ Aug 3 2008, 12:59 AM) View Post

Your problem is easy to explain, as you put to mutch paste on the GPU it had short-circuit (some thermal paste's are now good), where and what happened that is the question.
If cleaning up din't work then you probably burnt something.

First thermal compound is not conductive which already rules out what you said...
Additionally the error code 0012 stands for GPU overheating and not for a short in the GPU area which would be 0020,
I dont wanna read through all this again but if I remember correctly he fixed the overheating issue and has got the ROD now...

timechange01

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2008, 05:26:00 PM »

QUOTE(Dreamlinker @ Aug 2 2008, 11:59 PM) View Post

Your problem is easy to explain, as you put to mutch paste on the GPU it had short-circuit (some thermal paste's are now good), where and what happened that is the question.
If cleaning up din't work then you probably burnt something.

Probably. Because on my new console, I noticed that the fan is extremely quieter compared to my old console. Even after a long gaming session, the fan is much quieter. On my old console (the overheating one), the fan is always as loud as the DVD Drive. After gameplay when you return back to the dashboard, youre usually supposed to notice the console becomes much quieter. That never used to happen with the old console.

And I used the same paste and screws on the chips. What method should I try on the overheating console? Ive already tried buying new thermal paste and switching heatsinks with another console but that didn't make a difference.

QUOTE(Wilhelm_I @ Aug 3 2008, 12:51 AM) View Post

First thermal compound is not conductive which already rules out what you said...
Additionally the error code 0012 stands for GPU overheating and not for a short in the GPU area which would be 0020,
I dont wanna read through all this again but if I remember correctly he fixed the overheating issue and has got the ROD now...

The overheating issue was never really fixed. The console just ran a few hours longer in extremely cold rooms. But in regular room temperature 74F degree and higher, constant overheat within a few minutes. And yes its currently in ROD condition but even after the reflow, I dont think the overheating problem with get fixed. I will reflow it later today and test it at room temperature again anyways.