xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27]

Author Topic: Tutorial: Wilhelm's Improved X-clamp Replacement  (Read 2851 times)

Wilhelm_I

• Archived User
Tutorial: Wilhelm's Improved X-clamp Replacement
« Reply #390 on: November 09, 2008, 09:40:00 AM »

Deutsch / German :
Ich habe die Anleitung soeben ins Deutsche übersetzt, ein paar Bilder sind zwar noch mit englischen Titeln aber das ist sowieso im Text weiter erläutert oder selbsterklärend...
Der Inhalt ist genau der selbe allerdings wurden manche Passagen leicht geupdatet...
Hier ist der Link -> http://xbox-experts....php?n=xclampeng

English :
I have just finished translating my tutorial to German a few pictures do still contain english strings but it is explained in the text anyway...
The content is the same but some stuff has been simplified...
Here is the link -> http://xbox-experts....php?n=xclampeng

And some updates on Hybrid:
I have also started writing the tutorial for Hybrid on the website like some of you might have noticed already, as it is in the list tongue.gif
I just ordered some more ROD 360s from Ebay because I need some additional pictures for the tutorial in more detail and if I find time I might even make a video of it but since I got exams coming next week I cant promise anything...
The hosting of the video might also be a problem because of the bandwidth, just the website itself is already causing like 80GB traffic a month and I only pay for 400GB traffic a month so we will have to solve this issue first as well, might create some mirrors and use my homeserver to save some...

A video might rather be added later I dont want everybody to wait tongue.gif

bonzof.pl

• Archived User
« Reply #391 on: November 09, 2008, 11:45:00 AM »

Hybrid make a new console.+heatsink Cu.
Not bent processor x/clamp mod.
Putty epoxid mix thermal paste no AC/DC proces reversible hot air.

Wilhelm_I

• Archived User
« Reply #392 on: November 17, 2008, 10:51:00 AM »

QUOTE(bonzof.pl @ Nov 9 2008, 08:21 PM) View Post

Hybrid make a new console.+heatsink Cu.
Not bent processor x/clamp mod.
Putty epoxid mix thermal paste no AC/DC proces reversible hot air.

Ahm, no nothing like that wink.gif

Just wanted to release a little update for hybrid:
We are nearly finished none of the 360s have crapped out yet still and the hosting question was solved (hopefully).
The Ebay 360s have arrived but I couldnt take my hands on any to take the pictures yet because I was quite busy with the video/still am.
Humboldt is assisting me though and will take the pics for the "advanced" version of the fix and support me with the english version of the tutorial.
The video is not gonna be like some homemade stuff filming me how I apply the fix to a 360 it is a 3D animation that will explain our concept and how it works and will be more comprehensible since you can see stuff that is not visible usually...
Am nearly done with the 3D stuff like the advanced version rendering is 99% done have to render the part for the "regular"/homemade version of the fix now but it is like 80% done as well only have to prepare the actual animation....
We are aiming to get all the stuff done until the weekend around the 8th of December but since there is still so much that has to be done we cannot promise anything.
M2X is quite busy atm and cant do nothing since he got his main IT exams at university and I wont have much time in the next weeks either since I will have exams as well, might get quite close but we will try our best.

Last but not least I would like to thank all the people who sent us emails and PMs you have been a great motivation to us in the last couple of months smile.gif

Cheers,
TEAM Hybrid

humboldt111502

• Archived User
« Reply #393 on: November 17, 2008, 03:40:00 PM »

QUOTE(Wilhelm_I @ Nov 17 2008, 07:27 PM) View Post

Humboldt is assisting me though and will take the pics for the "advanced" version of the fix and support me with the english version of the tutorial.

Yeah I should be able to take pics soon.....The "prototypes" are coming in the mail next week for me to work with.  I have also come up with a "homemade" version of the advanced hybrid that looks promising as well.

wink.gif

YoungGeekGuy

• Archived User
« Reply #394 on: November 17, 2008, 08:23:00 PM »

Didn't put on the credit card yet because I am still waiting on some as5, also I just used one plastic washer on top and one spring washer on the bottom because the only plastic washers I could get are to thick and are equal to two of the metal washers so I ended up ditching the normal metal washers. I had some spare thermal paste left on the heatsink from when I temporarily fixed it with some zalman paste. (for future reference xbox's don't like zalman paste becasue it was a pain in the ass to get the right amount on my own 360, I was only trying to put it on and prevent the rrod and it got hotter than ever, it was truly a pain to get the right amount, at least my 360 has never had a problem though) This was my friends and ironically it rrod'd while we were flashing the drive (had taken off the warranty only 20 minutes prior) So I bought all the stuff and ended up just screwing some 16mm through until it tore some holes in the gpu heatsink and it also threaded it, I did this before I installed it. After that I just plugged it in and to my surprise, no overheating or nothing prior it booted. The fans got really fast as I am still waiting on arctic silver but now I will have one happy friend with a fixed and flashed xbox 360:) Thanks for the great guide!

Wilhelm_I

• Archived User
« Reply #395 on: November 18, 2008, 12:58:00 PM »

QUOTE(YoungGeekGuy @ Nov 18 2008, 04:59 AM) View Post

Didn't put on the credit card yet because I am still waiting on some as5, also I just used one plastic washer on top and one spring washer on the bottom because the only plastic washers I could get are to thick and are equal to two of the metal washers so I ended up ditching the normal metal washers. I had some spare thermal paste left on the heatsink from when I temporarily fixed it with some zalman paste. (for future reference xbox's don't like zalman paste becasue it was a pain in the ass to get the right amount on my own 360, I was only trying to put it on and prevent the rrod and it got hotter than ever, it was truly a pain to get the right amount, at least my 360 has never had a problem though) This was my friends and ironically it rrod'd while we were flashing the drive (had taken off the warranty only 20 minutes prior) So I bought all the stuff and ended up just screwing some 16mm through until it tore some holes in the gpu heatsink and it also threaded it, I did this before I installed it. After that I just plugged it in and to my surprise, no overheating or nothing prior it booted. The fans got really fast as I am still waiting on arctic silver but now I will have one happy friend with a fixed and flashed xbox 360:) Thanks for the great guide!

Ye of course it did thats what it is supposed to be doing wink.gif
Overheating only makes the problems worse so dont waste your time with it.
You will have to replace the compound for sure though if the fans are spinning that fast...

shade3413

• Archived User
« Reply #396 on: November 23, 2008, 06:25:00 PM »

Just carried out this fix and unfortunatly still getting 3 rrod. Now my question is how important are the rubber/nylon washers? I currenly have used bits of cloth as a substitute due to my inability to find appropriate washers. Could this be my problem? only having the one 1 mm thick metal washer may not be leveling the mobo properly.

Let me know what I could use a substitute or would just 1 metal 1 mm thick washers do the trick? I assumed the nylon washers were to prevent damage but I could be very wrong.

darthdrummer

• Archived User
« Reply #397 on: November 29, 2008, 12:19:00 AM »

I just finished the x clamp mod on my box about an hour ago.  Had my first RROD on the 26th.  I had some arctic silver laying around from some previous computer builds, but I improvised a bit on the hardware useing a 5mm lock washer and the #10 nylon washer on the top ( between the heat sink and gpu/cpu ) and used a nylon and bent (flex) washer on the bottom to ensure tension on both sides of the MB.  I found that the split/lock washer and nylon together seemed to come the closest to the actual height of the GPU/CPU.  I tightened until i could see no more light between the top of the GPU/CPU and then gave it another full turn.  Baked and then cooled down.

I did not use the CC pieces as mentioned in the procedure.  This was a personal choice.  I may consider useing them if i start to see problems over the course of the next few weeks.  after i actually rework the connection with a hot air pencil.

Seems to work fine so far.  I will however be looking into some sort of re-reouting air flow to the GPU heat sink, this thing is seriously under rated for the GPU, considering its physical proximity to the drive.  

Has anyone considered moving to a fully copper core or even reworking the GPU HS to make contact with the CPU HS to try to gain some thermal transfer?

Another idea may be a shim like some of us may remember using with the 32bit AMD athalon processors.  this would serve both the intended purpose of the CC bits and maybe help more efficiently disipate the heat a little better.  of course with all the res packs in the way on the top side of the CPU/GPU it may prove a little difficult but i may give it a try.

anyhow thanks for the help

Wilhelm_I

• Archived User
« Reply #398 on: December 02, 2008, 02:57:00 AM »

Hello guys.

Just a little and hopefully last update on Hybrid again.
The animation video is 99.9999% done only needs another last edit for the credits because I spelled a name wrong, thanks to Humboldt we also got some nice background music beerchug.gif
The tutorial was also "finished" yesterday only requires some more tweaking as well, Humboldt will have to read all over my shit again and correct grammar and spelling mistakes to make it easier to understand and in the mean time I will be working on the German translation of the fix which will however not delay the release for the English one...

Since we still have not finished the parts for the "advanced" version this will not be included in the release very likely.
As soon as we have the parts in stock we will start some sort of beta program since we couldnt test it effectively yet but it basically works the same way as the "homemade" version so we are not expecting any problems...
I would also like to point out that the "advanced" version is not going to be a rip off ROD kit or anything we are selling it at the lowest price possible for us and the community because if a single person would order the parts that are necessary for it himself the costs would be at about 50$, we are going to get the parts in bulk and sell them for 10-12$ depending on how cheap we can get it we are still looking for the best deal...
The start for this beta will likely be in January.

The release of the homemade version will either be this weekend on the 6th of Dec if we should surprisingly make it until then otherwise one week later on the 13th of Dec.

Cheers,
Wilhelm and the Hybrid crew...

norite

• Archived User
« Reply #399 on: April 10, 2009, 07:34:00 AM »

Hello everyone.

Fascinating stuff, I've spent hours reading all about these fixes. Well done to you people! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

I have one question tho. Would it be possible to use balsa wood instead of the credit card strips, and also balsa wood sheet underneath the motherboard?   (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)  you can get it in various thicknesses, hard and soft, and it's easy to sand and work with.. I'm about to do my first xbox mod using Wilhelm's fix...

Cheers

This post has been edited by norite: Apr 10 2009, 02:37 PM

katrinav

• Archived User
« Reply #400 on: June 15, 2009, 12:05:00 PM »

that's interesting.

simulation rachat de credit

This post has been edited by katrinav: Jun 15 2009, 07:10 PM
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27]