xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Still Getting 3 Rrod After Xclamp Fix  (Read 859 times)

Bxrican

• Archived User
Still Getting 3 Rrod After Xclamp Fix
« on: May 08, 2008, 08:34:00 PM »

i am still trying to fix my xbox 360. ive completed the x clamp fix as instructed by llama which is removing the heat sink cleaning all the old thermal paste from both the heatsinks and gpu+cpu to a mirror finish with artic 5 then putting a thin layer of artic silver then reassembling everything using the New screws and washers instead of the xclamps. i did the assembly right i imitated the llama fix completely. i let the gpu over heat for 15 mins while the cpu stays cool with the xbox fan up top. then leave the console for 15-20 mins to cool and still nothing same old 3 rings of death .ive done this about 3 times within the past 2 days  any other suggestions?

by the way my error code is 0102

This post has been edited by Bxrican: May 9 2008, 03:38 AM

ModsINUtah

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2008, 08:59:00 PM »

QUOTE(Bxrican @ May 8 2008, 09:10 PM) View Post

i am still trying to fix my xbox 360. ive completed the x clamp fix as instructed by llama which is removing the heat sink cleaning all the old thermal paste from both the heatsinks and gpu+cpu to a mirror finish with artic 5 then putting a thin layer of artic silver then reassembling everything using the New screws and washers instead of the xclamps. i did the assembly right i imitated the llama fix completely. i let the gpu over heat for 15 mins while the cpu stays cool with the xbox fan up top. then leave the console for 15-20 mins to cool and still nothing same old 3 rings of death .ive done this about 3 times within the past 2 days  any other suggestions?

by the way my error code is 0102

Sell the broken xbox with cables to me for 60 bucks, go buy a new one :-) Always need the parts

Bxrican

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2008, 09:01:00 PM »

QUOTE(ModsINUtah @ May 8 2008, 11:35 PM) View Post

Sell the broken xbox with cables to me for 60 bucks, go buy a new one :-) Always need the parts

No thank you i asked for technical help

Wilhelm_I

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2008, 12:00:00 AM »

Adjust the tightness of the screws , do the penny fix etc
If all this doesnt work either use a heatgun or get the GPU reballed/reflowed....

This post has been edited by Wilhelm_I: May 9 2008, 07:00 AM

Bxrican

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2008, 01:48:00 PM »

Thanks wilhelm your contribution is appreciated i will look though what you said

This post has been edited by Bxrican: May 9 2008, 08:48 PM

Bxrican

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2008, 06:29:00 PM »

anyone else? at all?

Bxrican

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2008, 05:55:00 PM »

anyone???????????????

aussie0275

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2008, 04:47:00 AM »

yeah g'day mate, i thought someone who had more of a clue than me take this one but i'll give it a try. My xbox does exactly the same thing now. I have redone my x-clamp fix so many times i have lost count. I have tried putting something under the mobo so to equalize the pressure on either side of the board - nothing. I have tried the eraser trick - nothing. It is giving me the ol' 0020 secondary code. I'm eventually getting my solder reballed by another member to bring mine back from the dead. What is your secondary code?

This post has been edited by aussie0275: May 18 2008, 11:48 AM

Wilhelm_I

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2008, 08:54:00 AM »

QUOTE(aussie0275 @ May 18 2008, 01:23 PM) View Post

yeah g'day mate, i thought someone who had more of a clue than me take this one but i'll give it a try. My xbox does exactly the same thing now. I have redone my x-clamp fix so many times i have lost count. I have tried putting something under the mobo so to equalize the pressure on either side of the board - nothing. I have tried the eraser trick - nothing. It is giving me the ol' 0020 secondary code. I'm eventually getting my solder reballed by another member to bring mine back from the dead. What is your secondary code?

It is 0102 he wrote this in his first post...

Bxrican

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2008, 11:30:00 AM »

QUOTE(aussie0275 @ May 18 2008, 07:23 AM) *

my second code is 0020

aussie0275

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2008, 05:15:00 PM »

well the only thing i am told about 0020 is that you either waste hours by fiddling with the screw tightness, which i can't seem to get right, heat with the heatgun or get the gpu reballed. So i still don't really know the answer. Hopefully the reballing will fix it for me

Venom05

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2008, 02:17:00 AM »

i have the same here.

have a console did a x-clamp fix of llamma and the xbox worked. but after ten minutes is was dead. the problem is, the xbox gives no image or whatsoever, doensnt seem to boot the screen stays black. after approx 30 sec he gives rrod. error code 0022.

i have 4 360 with this kind of problems. did a x-clamp fix on these and they keep give problems. rrod wont disapear etc. even have this: 360 which froze very often, so did a x-clamp and overheated. after 2 mins of gaming it froze again,. turned of and on... screen stays black. what to do with these machines, they jus dont want to get back to life.

reballing gpu? how does this work. do i use a heatgun to heat bottom of the mobo?

advice please, have 4 360's that wont work. I always use the llamma method. but i think the overheating might be not so good at all.

scuba156

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2008, 04:57:00 AM »

0020 will need a reflow or reballing. a heat gun will work to reflow it.

0022 is a cold solder joint on the CPU, not GPU. you can try doing the heating method on llamas guide for the GPU, but do it on the CPU. but it would be much much better to reflow it

Venom05

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2008, 06:30:00 AM »

but how to reflow/rebal the gpu. should i use my heatgun, just like you do with a e74. and shoul i concentrate on the cpu+gpu at the bottom of the mobo? are do i need to get the die's etc off. and then use my heatgun direct on the solder? little advice please?

Wilhelm_I

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2008, 07:57:00 AM »

QUOTE(scuba156 @ May 19 2008, 01:33 PM) View Post

0020 will need a reflow or reballing. a heat gun will work to reflow it.

0022 is a cold solder joint on the CPU, not GPU. you can try doing the heating method on llamas guide for the GPU, but do it on the CPU. but it would be much much better to reflow it

0022 is damn sure NOT the CPU it is GPU related and is closely connected to the E74(1022)
I could fix it temporarily by doing the X-Clamps fix+ overheating. Later it returned sometimes as E74 or 0022.
After reflowing the area between the GPU and the ana-chip I got rid of the problem completely.
I tested it with a second xbox and used the heatgun straight away without doing the X-CLamp fix first and this fixed it immediately.
No disrespect but it is definitely NOT the CPU and I think it is time to edit the FAQ before more people waste their time and money on reflowing/reballing the CPU.

0020 can be fixed by reflowing.
However you should also check the surface of the GPU and CPU for any missing capacitors.
And it may also be caused by a broken solder joint of one of the big capacitors , here is a picture
http://forums.xbox-s...howtopic=650203
Pages: [1] 2