xbox-scene.com archived forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

xbox-scene.com forum restored.  registration disabled.  thanks to xboxexpert for the db dump and netham45 for cleaning it up!

Author Topic: Pc Drive That Can Read Xbox Dvds?  (Read 280 times)

dragonforce99

Pc Drive That Can Read Xbox Dvds?
« on: February 21, 2004, 11:23:16 PM »

A long time ago someone claimed that they flashed their PC DVD Drive so that it can read the XBOX DVDs right on the PC.

Does anyone know if something like this is around? I mean a PC Program, sort of like Nero, Record Now, etc. that will actually be able to read the XBOX File System on the DVD and back it up to a PC Folder instead of going through the XBOX and transfering it via ethernet to the PC.

Hey_Deez

« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2004, 04:21:01 AM »

moistness

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2004, 04:30:12 AM »

Yep, read about it, decided it was bullshit, ignored it! wink.gif  

buzzinrich

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2004, 09:24:55 PM »

Forgive my ignorance, but couldn't you just use nero to grab an iso of it and then something like XISO to extract the files from it?

Krusty2k

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2004, 12:49:54 PM »

Problem is the xbox reads the disc backwards (Outside -> Inside), it also spins game discs backwards. Hence when you burn your disc you cant read it at all in your burner. From what i can tell the ISO utils actually make the ISO backwards - but its an ISO so the burner app just pokes 0's and 1's on the DVD without thinking. As the TOC is in the wrong area (and is likely nothing like a normal DVD/CD TOC) it cant read it back.

I think someone *could* write a driver for a PC to read the discs if they cared enough, but it would seem pointless as you can read it VERY fast from the xbox via FTP anyhow.

I could be all wrong as im no coder but this is how i understand it to work.

tailspower2001

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2004, 01:43:10 AM »

blackbishop

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2004, 07:42:52 AM »

Very ture.

But if we take what we have learned form Xdfs it would not be all that hard to write a system file that would be able to read an xbox game disk or and xbox hd.

It all just boils down to supporting the file system for window or what ever os you are using.

desertboy

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2004, 05:35:24 AM »

Alcofrolic

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2004, 05:36:04 AM »

i was under the impression it was down to layers on the disc.
they add a video vob layer on the top so PCs can read that only, and its usually a 14meg vob file.

then the other layers are used for games.

its what it looks like when checing over discs on the XDK when connected in the Xbox Neighbourhood.
thats how i back up games when not copying straight to xbox hdd

CocodaMonkey

« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2004, 03:28:36 PM »

BloodyMary

« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2004, 01:54:48 AM »

Ok here's a little piece I thought I'd throw in.  You can hook up a regular PC DVD-ROM drive to your xbox without flashing the firmware on it and use it to play your BACKUPS on your xbox.  Simply split the power from your xbox hard drive with a regular y power spliter (readily available a radio shack).  Then remove the ide connector from your xbox dvd drive and connect it to the pc dvd drive, connect one end of the split power to the pc dvd drive and the other to the xbox hard drive.  Put your backup's in and go...  I have tried this and it works great... I don't want to say for sure, but I would say that this means that the firmware on the DVD drive is unimportant... anyway... I think it would be interesting to get a pc to be able to read the xbox dvds.

Fatboy11

« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2010, 12:57:26 PM »

it was possible, with a custom firmware on a certain model samsung drive, me and my brother done it a long time ago.
as for the disk spinning backwards.. thats bullshit. iv heard that about gamecube discs too, and they dont either lol.
someone just correctley stated the game data is on the second layer of the disc as is the real toc. the firmware was spread on this very site, so i can confirm it is real, and the game data is on the second layer od the disc, and all originals are dual layered.

EDIT :also, with some hardware modding and a diffrent firmware that same pc samsung drive could replace the drive in the xbox and have full functionality

Edited by Fatboy11, 11 November 2010 - 09:59 PM.

obcd

« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2010, 11:47:06 AM »

Why are you replying to a threat of march 2004?
Do you really think the guy who started it is still checking it for new answers?

zman519

« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2011, 07:31:37 PM »

Why are you replying to a threat of march 2004?
Do you really think the guy who started it is still checking it for new answers?

ya ROFL i'm just as bad heeh last post of 2011 I think

Page created in 0.141 seconds with 14 queries.