xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: How Long Does It Take To Mod Ur Xbox  (Read 173 times)

xX RARE XBOX FREAK Xx

• Archived User
How Long Does It Take To Mod Ur Xbox
« on: February 21, 2005, 09:47:00 PM »

How long does it take to mod ur xbox and wut do u think is the best way to take off ur jewel????????? <

xX RARE XBOX FREAK Xx

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2005, 09:48:00 PM »

where okey thanks ill try and find that <

Xtremez Boi

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2005, 09:49:00 PM »

are u serious? lmao, it depends on what mods u do and ur ability. Such as putting leds should not take longer than 20 mins max. Search or use the tutorials as they are there to help. Try using a blow dryer behind the xbox case. <

Rylinkus

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2005, 09:53:00 PM »

Chip install in 15 minutes

Remove the jewel by freezing the top of the Xbpox cases and then smack it with a rubber mallet or sneaker on the back side. Itll pop right out. <

xp-power

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2005, 09:53:00 PM »

QUOTE(xX RARE XBOX FREAK Xx @ Feb 22 2005, 02:42 AM)
How long does it take to mod ur xbox and wut do u think is the best way to take off ur jewel?????????

the best way to do it is put in the freezer for about 3-4hrs, i will find the page explaining it seeing your a noob here to xbox-scene and welcome <

xp-power

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2005, 09:56:00 PM »

C03. How do I remove the jewel?
- This method is reccomended because it is sooooo easy:
Step 1: Put the top part of your case into the freezer for about 30 minutes.
Step 2: Take it out, remove metal shielding and tap directly under your jewel with a hammer [OR A SHOE!!] and she'll pop right off. (by tester123)

- If tester's method doesn't work (unusually strong glue or something) try this method:
First open up the xbox case ant take off the top. Take the metal shielding off the top. There are 6 little posts that you have to bend a little of the metal back. Grab a hair blower and a small screw driver. Set the hair dryer to hot and high. Point the hair blower at the back of the jewel for 5 minutes, no less. Take the screw driver and stick it under the jewel and leaver it off. Thats it your jewel is off. (by wup)

- Here is a 30 second method:
What you need is a can of compressed air. You use it for cleaning PC parts and dusting things. If you turn it upside down it shoots out a liquid that is super cold and freezes. Anyways, turn the can upside down and spray all around your jewel. Be sure to get alot of it around the sides and underneath. When i was done spraying I had a little pool of this "super cooling liquid air" on my jewel. It evaporated in a few seconds then the jewel peeled right off. Hope this helps! (by EyeCandyAccord)
Note: be careful with this method. Some people have cracked thier jewels.

C03b. How do I make the jewel hole?
- There are a couple ways to do this
- Use a dremel cutting disc to make a rough hole, then a sanding drum to round it down to a perfect circle.
- Get a 2.5" hole saw drill attachment, and drill the perfect sized hole without any other work!
- With both methods, make sure there is a small ledge left over for the jewel to rest on (about 1 - 1.5mm)
- Many other ways.. it's as simple as cutting and sanding down plastic.

C04. How do I clear the jewel?
- The first step is to get that black rubbery stuff off. If you used the freezer method, sometimes you can peel it off like a sticker, or in little chunks at a time. If you can't, try Goo-Gone or some other sticky-substance removing solvent.
- Now, to get the green paint off.

- 3/27/04 - it was just brought to my attention that Rubbing Alcohol works just as well or even better than nail polish, seeing how it is alcohol based. If you have some, substitute it for nail polish in the rest of this explanation. (thanks to vokal4 for the tip)

- Take some paper towel, dab some nail polish remover OR rubbing alcohol on it, and rub. It will take a little while, but it is well worth it. If you don't have a sister/mom/girlfriend, go to a drugstore. It should be cheaper than a million kinds of sandpaper. Look at this result from nail polish:
http://www.brahm2.com/faq/newcasejewel1.JPG
Note: don't let it SOAK.. RUB it. Sometimes it might depend on the nail polish if it is cloudy.
Note 2: Apparently ACETONE FREE Nail Polish is the kind that does not cloud.
Note 3: This method does not work 100% of the time, and some members still get cloudy jewels. Keep in mind that not all of these methods will be the same for everyone.

A chemical-free method to remove the paint is by sanding. TykSak has an amazing tutorial for jewel sanding:
http://www.modzone.dk/forums/showthread.php?&threadid=36

Keep the following in mind:
http://www.brahm2.com/faq/hownot...stallajewel.jpg

Just as a tip, various other household chemicals have been reported to work just as well. Pine Sol and Oven cleaner have both had good results, but sometimes the jewel clouds with oven cleaner. Clear at your own risk!

WARNING! SOME CHEMICALS ARE CORROSIVE AND CAN MESS UP YOUR HANDS! WEAR RUBBER GLOVES OR USE CAUTION!!

djmeistro had this to say about jewel polishing: I just learned something new about jewel that i didn't find anywhere on the site. For me, when i took the paint off the jewel with nail polish remover, it started to cloud. The solution to this is just do that final step as if you were sanding the jewel. Use toothpaste and polish the jewel and the clouding goes away.

Xbox-Scene tutorials page jewel links:
http://www.xbox-scene.com/articles/jewel-sanding.php
http://www.xbox-scene.com/articles/clear-jewel.php
http://www.xbox-scene.com/articles/easy-clear-jewel.php
http://www.xbox-scene.com/articles/jewel-tv.php

Here is a thread with lots of methods of possible jewel clearing - http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=333877
Thanks eminvil_12

C04b. How do I get the silver Xbox lettering out of the jewel?
- After removing the green paint with a sanding or chemical method, put hot glue into the "xbox" letters, let it dry (try sticking it in the freezer to get it to harden quickly), then just peel it out, and the silver should stick to the glue.
- Repeat the process for any other little bits that don't come off the first time.
- Thanks to PaCMaYNE for this info.
- This hasn't worked for everyone so try it at your own risk!

C05. Okay, So I took off my jewel and sanded it, or got a custom one. How do I get it back on???
-Definitive Jewel Reattachement Guide (by feflicker)
http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?act=ST&f=24&t=93010

aswell check this out it is more pictures to help
Jewel Clearing Resource Thread, Lots of pics.... to many have asked

This post has been edited by xp-power: Feb 22 2005, 05:58 AM <

thecheat

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2005, 10:12:00 PM »

usually when i mod my xbox i somehow manage to fuck up something insanely easy, then have to go out and buy new parts for it. so id say about a week. lol, and i used the hairdrer method on 3 xbox's but the freezer method is easier. <

foghornleghornbox

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2005, 10:33:00 PM »

also i found flexing the xbox case helps with the dryer method be careful not to break it though <

blindbug

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2005, 10:41:00 PM »

QUOTE(xX RARE XBOX FREAK Xx @ Feb 22 2005, 03:43 AM)
where okey thanks ill try and find that

It's apparently going to take longer than you have the patience for... a bump 1 minute after the post??!!!?? Please...  <_<

Modding an xbox will take as long as you are wanting to put into it.  Xbox modding is about 5% technique and 95% preperation and patience.  Look at Palmore's Box, he has been working on that thing for god knows how long  :huh: but the time put into the project shows through in the (almost) finished product.  Look to put a good month into modding your xbox if you are new to modding and are looking to producing something worth seeing.  SEARCH AND READ tutorials for anything you are thinking of doing, get a good understanding of everything before starting up blind... it will help you in the end.

PS: if using the hairdryer method (my method of choice), make sure not to leave the hairdryer unattended and warp your case...

This post has been edited by blindbug: Feb 22 2005, 06:43 AM <

itsmee129

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2005, 10:49:00 PM »

putting on my x3 control panel took 30 minutes because nothing fit! so i had to do some cutting <