xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: You Have Been Warned  (Read 231 times)

StrictPuppet

• Recovered User
You Have Been Warned
« on: October 12, 2009, 08:53:00 PM »

Wow, thanks for the warning.  I had no idea....  

USA=whole world

*edited to state sarcasm

sonic2120

• Archived User
You Have Been Warned
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2009, 09:53:00 PM »

Well those people were selling content that they did not have the rights to sell. The retailers were selling modded original xbox preloaded with games. The college kid was modding consoles as a service and selling backups I believe.

gopokes7

• Archived User
You Have Been Warned
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2009, 10:43:00 AM »

Ya i agree with the last poster. I don't think this will affect most people. Mostly people that are profiting from selling goods that aren't theirs.

StrictPuppet

• Recovered User
You Have Been Warned
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2009, 11:43:00 AM »

Flashing services is a gray area, and all members are encouraged to look into their local laws regarding it.  As for selling backups/copies/burns of games, no members have that in their sig, as it is strictly forbidden on this site.  Any who advertise pirated games publicly or privately through this site are quickly shown the door.

gopokes7

• Archived User
You Have Been Warned
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2009, 12:32:00 PM »

QUOTE(StrictPuppet @ Oct 13 2009, 12:43 PM) View Post

Flashing services is a gray area, and all members are encouraged to look into their local laws regarding it.  As for selling backups/copies/burns of games, no members have that in their sig, as it is strictly forbidden on this site.  Any who advertise publicly or privately through this site are quickly shown the door.

I agree i don't see many people publicizing it but if they are they will get sent...

gopokes7

• Archived User
You Have Been Warned
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2009, 02:48:00 PM »

QUOTE(us_ice_gov @ Oct 13 2009, 02:49 PM) View Post

Not in the US, people should understand that YES you own the hardware, but not the software that runs on the hardware. You are only licensed to use it. But listen I am done here. I am to only post this to give a warning to those that are providing either service. There are serious consequences to both.

this guy is right. This isn't taken lightly in the us

Ranger72

• Archived User
You Have Been Warned
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2009, 03:25:00 PM »

We got crazy rednecks threatening to kill the president. We have kids killing each other on the streets of our cities. We have fathers killing their families then themselves because he lost his job and can't afford to feed his family. We got people dying from lack of health insurance. We are paying multimillion dollar companies to screw Americans over whichever way they can. We got homegrown terrorism rising like a plague across the land. We got 10 year old kids selling crack to their fellow school kids.

BUT for the love of all things good we must stop these crazy modders that are taking their consoles apart before they lead us to the apocalypse.

The fact that there is one person being paid $1 of our tax money to harass people for modding consoles goes to show just how fucked up our governments priorities are.  

deilzfcjk

• Archived User
You Have Been Warned
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2009, 04:04:00 PM »

yeah when you read the description o f the charges against Matt. It says that these kinds of activities stem from a larger criminal organization. What? He was working alone! He used google and other forums to learn how to flash consoles. "dismantling criminal organizations". If you call one man a criminal organization....then you're on drugs. Second, thought maybe they should include the DEA in on modding busts. haha. playing with a modded console after all , can lead to video game addiction.

red_ring_of_box

• Archived User
You Have Been Warned
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2009, 05:21:00 PM »

QUOTE(us_ice_gov @ Oct 12 2009, 10:21 PM) View Post

your so cute with your lil gov't crackdowns on people who are breaking the law then making it seems like all people who 'illegally' modifying their xbox 360's will use it for piracy.

Making of Additional Copy or Adaptation by Owner of Copy

All the DRM does is make it so that big software companies can break the law and add 'protection' to their software so that way the average joe would not be able to 'legally' backup his/her software without breaking this contract law that the software company has given out. So who is really breaking which law? The DRM for not allowing customers to backup their media(the law which came first) or the later DRM law that allows big software companies to make another buck the next time you scratch your cd and have to go out and buy another copy.

Hell even if the DRM wasn't established there would still be people pirating software, do you really think the measures taken by the ICE will even come close to crippling piracy as a whole? All software companies have done is spent millions of dollars on security systems that even in a few days to weeks are reverse engineered and used by pirates as well as those who just want to backup their software.

Those who are selling backups should be prosecuted, but those who are doing it to have an extra copy to use just in case their original media is ruined beyond repair. I can understand what you are trying to say but to me you are sounding extremely aggressive in that first little post of yours.

Anyway I am entitled to my opinion regardless of what you may think, I mean I one day would like to work as a game developer myself, but if I had happened to go into my friends house and found out he had made a backup of a game I had developed I wouldn't turn him into the authorities rolleyes.gif. Also just letting you know as I am typing this I am becoming more calm and collected so sorry if at first I was acting like a jerk.

StrictPuppet

• Recovered User
You Have Been Warned
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2009, 11:19:00 PM »

You are claiming to actually be an ICE agent?  Using public, generic web proxies?  I knew I should have just binned this thread to begin with.  Go back to observing and reporting your mall patrons.