xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Bricked 0079fl, But Why?  (Read 83 times)

kawgomoo

• Archived User
Bricked 0079fl, But Why?
« on: April 11, 2009, 01:02:00 PM »

just flashed a drive on a box that was already hurtin.. dead gpu.

hitachi 0079fl drive.
tdk media (cdr)
slax 2.1
image.cue {wav}
onboard via sata controller
360 powering drive.

followed podgers tut to the T, everything went just like it said. flashed the drive no problems.

reboot the drive...bricked.  cant get back into mode b, windows wont recognize it.

so my question is, why did it get bricked? is the firmware in fwtoolbox useless?

in the past i have have trouble  using programs like slayer {xbox1} i always had better results dumping a premade bin instead of using some all in one prog.

anyway to unbrick it?  dont really care about the drive.

this was a junk tester box, but i need to know why the flash went bad or the drive is bricked before i try it on another "real" 360.

can anyone help on this?

Ranger72

• Archived User
Bricked 0079fl, But Why?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2009, 05:38:00 PM »

Toolbox is a bit outdated. You should have used the latest Jungle Flasher.

If the drive is truly bricked the only way to recover it is by removing the tsop and using an external programmer to flash the tsop.

turny

• Archived User
Bricked 0079fl, But Why?
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2009, 05:40:00 PM »

QUOTE(kawgomoo @ Apr 11 2009, 08:02 PM) *

just flashed a drive on a box that was already hurtin.. dead gpu.

hitachi 0079fl drive.
tdk media (cdr)
slax 2.1
image.cue {wav}
onboard via sata controller
360 powering drive.

followed podgers tut to the T, everything went just like it said. flashed the drive no problems.

reboot the drive...bricked.  cant get back into mode b, windows wont recognize it.

so my question is, why did it get bricked? is the firmware in fwtoolbox useless?

in the past i have have trouble  using programs like slayer {xbox1} i always had better results dumping a premade bin instead of using some all in one prog.

anyway to unbrick it?  dont really care about the drive.

this was a junk tester box, but i need to know why the flash went bad or the drive is bricked before i try it on another "real" 360.

can anyone help on this?

fwtoolbox 4.8 is old but 4.6 older, its really worth trying to get jungleflasher working , the trouble with the 79 there are four different versions of firmware depending where the key is held, jf is just a better application than toolbox ,determining your firmware where as toolbox relies on flashing differences. When its working correctly jungleflasher it works like a charm ,all drives.

alwaysonjohn

• Archived User
Bricked 0079fl, But Why?
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2009, 10:52:00 PM »

I agree completely with you guys, use Jungle Flasher!

Now you can buy another Hitachi, but i recommend you just get a benq and spoof it.  There are plenty of guides to do that. If you use mess up flashing with the benq, then you can just erase and restart!

I bricked my Hitachi 0079fl with jungle flasher, it paused a quarter of the way through and failed.
My Experience!

kawgomoo

• Archived User
Bricked 0079fl, But Why?
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2020, 12:10:00 AM »

yeah its tough finding current information. i havent been here since my xbox1 days...

i have a willem programmer, but not a tsop32 adapter. go figure.

there is no real benefit to me fixing this drive, other than learning how to do it. kind of  a personal mission right now.

im trying to pick  up a hot air station right now, if i can find one cheap i just might forray into fixing this pos...

but if i can get this all sorted out,

jungle flasher with 1.51 is where i need to be looking, correct?

ToBbErT

• Archived User
Bricked 0079fl, But Why?
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2020, 01:57:00 AM »

Yes