xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Drive Won't Open After Flash  (Read 110 times)

justicedreadz

• Archived User
Drive Won't Open After Flash
« on: January 02, 2008, 10:44:00 PM »

Ok, I flashed the drive using iPrep and it plays backups just fine. One catch, the tray only opens if i take the metal top off. When I hit eject it makes a clunk sound but won't open. When i take the metal top off and hit eject, it opens and closes flawlessly. I even traded the metal top with another drive and still the same problem. Could the magnet be the problem or am I missing something?

Grim187

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2008, 10:48:00 PM »

its dirt on the gears or track or it could be the eject motor going out.

try taking the case off, remove the tray, drive board and laser/motor holder then dip the remainder of the drive in %70 isopropyl rubbing alcohol, leave it sit for a couple hrs then put everything back together and it should work.

justicedreadz

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2008, 11:03:00 PM »

Good idea, but it's a new drive. Here's what's interesting. If a dsk is in it, it opens and closes fine. No disk, it stays shut. i see this thing getting punted pretty soon.

Grim187

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2008, 11:05:00 PM »

QUOTE(justicedreadz @ Jan 2 2008, 10:03 PM) *

Good idea, but it's a new drive. Here's what's interesting. If a dsk is in it, it opens and closes fine. No disk, it stays shut. i see this thing getting punted pretty soon.

you may think its new but its not, let me guess you bought it from ebay?
yes if there is any bit of resistance (a disk) in between the magnets it will allow it to eject.

justicedreadz

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2008, 11:12:00 PM »

not an ebay special. It's a launch console tht has been in the box at our office since 11/2005. i already owned one and the folks at work gave this to me because it was meant for a raffle that never happened. Thanks anyway. I'll try the alcohol tonight.

Martinchris23

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2008, 04:30:00 AM »

Look up 'rubber band trick' - this is a known problem with the MS25/MS28 where a lot of people bypass the problem by always leaving a disc in the drive.