xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Help, Les Paul Wireless Guitar Green Button Problems  (Read 127 times)

Lotus289

• Archived User
Help, Les Paul Wireless Guitar Green Button Problems
« on: February 05, 2008, 05:02:00 PM »

So shortly after I voided the warranty on my Les Paul Wireless Guitar, the green button the neck started acting up.  If I hold any single long not, or chord that includes the green button (on GH3 and Rock Band, so I know it's the guitar not the game) the green button cuts out almost every time; basically killing the chord.  It's also known to simply not work on single notes by themselves too.  

The way it's acting it's like the connection between the button and the board is cutting in and out.  If I wiggle the button, you can see it flash on the screen.  

So is there any way to reinforce the contact of the green button, or any for that matter, so that my green notes stop cutting out??  It seems to be making full contact, the button does go down all they way, but the signal cuts out almost all the time.  

Can anyone help?

RDC

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2008, 06:36:00 PM »

The first thing ya should try is cleaning the contacts on the Neck. That was a pretty ignorant idea to start with making it detachable like they did, just one more place for the thing to go intermittent is all. I had to tear that entire mess out of a friends Guitar and just hardwire it because his Yellow button was intermittent as all get out.

box_69

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2008, 07:05:00 PM »

both my red and green buttons are touchy

Lotus289

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2008, 07:29:00 PM »

So ya think it's not in the the contact under the button but at the point where the neck meets the body??  I never thought of that.  I'll look into that connection.  Also what's the best way to clean the contacts.  I'm thinking some rubbing alcohol or nail polish remover outta do the trick.

box_69

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2008, 07:44:00 PM »

if i did something about it i would go the route that rdc took and just hard wire it

RDC

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2008, 10:42:00 PM »

They do make contact cleaner/lubricant. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif) It could also be the contact under the button, but from what I've see so far the one where it meets the neck is the one to fail first. Whole setup reminds me of solderless modchips, good idea, but that's it.

brandogg

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2008, 11:41:00 PM »

My green button cuts out sometimes too, and my neck doesn't fully lock into the body either. It doesn't fall out, but there's a good 1/4 inch of "spring" in there. My brother has the Wii version, and it completely locks in place.

Lotus289

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2008, 04:42:00 AM »

Well I'll definitely look into the contact where the neck connects to the body.  The only thing that makes me think it's the contact under the button is that if I hold it down and wiggle it you can see the button cutting in and out.  

Looks like I get to dismantle this thing all over again....

Helios

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2008, 08:41:00 PM »

I had this problem with my red and yellow button and noticed that my neck was the tiniest bit wobbly (after me and the girlfriend were wrestling and she slammed her head on the guitar which was resting on the side of my bed... OUCH)

Anyway all I did was take off the neck and placed two train tickets (Everyone in South Aus knows what they look like) and they were a perfect fit both in length and width for the guitar where the neck sits. I slid the neck back on after I put one ticket in and it was better and less wobbly but still played up a little so I put the second ticket in it and it works like a charm. No wobbling, no button drop outs, full-blown contact 100% of the time. The tickets dimensions are about an inch or less wide and about two inches long. Will post a pic up if you guys need it.

If that doesn't work, actually open the neck up (if the contacts look fine that is) and clean the contacts underneath the buttons themselves. People who have dusty houses or dirty hands can get dirt and crap stuck underneath so the contacts lose their contact with the board.

Give it a go (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif) good luck

Lotus289

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2008, 02:18:00 PM »

Cool thanks for the tip.  Another thing I noticed is that it like to cut out when I use the whammy bar.  I thought it might be a wire short, but I bet it because I wiggle the whole guitar when I do that.  I've already taken the neck apart and cleaned the contacts in there.  I'll try shimming the neck so it doesn't move and see if that does the trick.  It sounds to me like it'll work pretty well though.