xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Preparing First Xbox 360 Mod  (Read 137 times)

Helios

• Archived User
Preparing First Xbox 360 Mod
« on: February 04, 2008, 04:59:00 PM »

Hey guys, I have been on this site for some 4-5 years on and off and have modded a hell of alot of Xbox consoles and done all sorts of crazy things with them and now it is time for me to join the current generation and start modding my Xbox 360 and then others in the future.

Now I have an Xbox 360 Elite and do not want to touch that so I am going out to purchase a new Xbox 360 and mod that up. I have a few questions before I do mod it though. I must also say that I am not modifying my firmware because I don't need to back up my games, if I need another copy I will just buy it and I don't think I need anything modified for my 360 anyway because as far as I know the homebrew scene for the 360 isn't that active at the moment (probably wrong about that though).

My biggest concern is that any of my consoles modifications will be detected e.g. the fan voltage (wanting to change the fans over and include more as well and from what I have seen this is detected when going on live). I still want to be able to go onto Xbox Live with this console as well but am worried that things such as voltage changes in the fans and light and cooling modifications will be detectable.

Is there a list of the sorts of modifications that are able to be detected and which ones are not detectable?

cheers guys

ACIDTRIP799

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2008, 05:53:00 PM »

Taismoon Whisper Fans MIGHT not be detectable.... I say this because i have been on LIVE for about a year and a half now with these fans on and still no ban... No mod is truely live safe, except for case changes etc. but something like upgrading fans or lighting IS detectable and they CAN ban you for it.... but i wouldnt worry to much about it to much since it rarely happens. Some Recomendations: Dont use anything that draws power off the DVD Drive, Dont use cathodes since they take to much power and cant achieve max brightness with the limited power anyways, and stick to Xcm cases. DONT get any ghost cases. And lastly BE CAREFULL!!! You dont want to end up with 400$ dollar black paper wieght!!!

Helios

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2008, 06:37:00 PM »

QUOTE(ACIDTRIP799 @ Feb 5 2008, 12:07 PM) *

Taismoon Whisper Fans MIGHT not be detectable.... I say this because i have been on LIVE for about a year and a half now with these fans on and still no ban... No mod is truely live safe, except for case changes etc. but something like upgrading fans or lighting IS detectable and they CAN ban you for it.... but i wouldnt worry to much about it to much since it rarely happens. Some Recomendations: Dont use anything that draws power off the DVD Drive, Dont use cathodes since they take to much power and cant achieve max brightness with the limited power anyways, and stick to Xcm cases. DONT get any ghost cases. And lastly BE CAREFULL!!! You dont want to end up with 400$ dollar black paper wieght!!!

Yeah true. Cheers for the heads up. I think the safest way for me to do this is to create another port for secondary power that powers on all of the lights, extra fans and everything else. This way it shouldn't be detectable at all but at the cost of having two power leads on my box which I really would like to avoid.

If worse comes to worse and a voltage jump in the fan is detected or something else is, the only thing that would be banned is the console correct?

Bandit5317

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2008, 06:54:00 PM »

One guy reported that he was banned due to a 12v fan mod, which may or may not be true. One thing is for sure, you don't need to worry about it. I'd wager half of the modded 360s on this site have the 12v fan mod, and there have been no other reports of bannings based on that mod. Some people speculate that M$ may be able to monitor the voltage that the stock fans are running at over Xbox Live, but if they can, they certainly haven't taken any action against modders based on this information. They definately can't tell if you have extra fans or leds. The only thing that you can definetely get banned for is a modded firmware, and even new stealth firmwares are good at avoiding that, but you don't need to worry about that. As for the cathodes or anything else using too much power, you have AT LEAST 30 watts to play around with. The 360s psu produces quite a lot more power than it actually needs. So you can run all of your extra fans and leds from power sources on the 360 mobo. In short, you don't need to use a seperate power supply or worry about getting banned for any of the mods that you're attempting.

Helios

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2008, 07:09:00 PM »

QUOTE(Bandit5317 @ Feb 5 2008, 01:08 PM) *

One guy reported that he was banned due to a 12v fan mod, which may or may not be true. One thing is for sure, you don't need to worry about it. I'd wager half of the modded 360s on this site have the 12v fan mod, and there have been no other reports of bannings based on that mod. Some people speculate that M$ may be able to monitor the voltage that the stock fans are running at over Xbox Live, but if they can, they certainly haven't taken any action against modders based on this information. They definately can't tell if you have extra fans or leds. The only thing that you can definetely get banned for is a modded firmware, and even new stealth firmwares are good at avoiding that, but you don't need to worry about that. As for the cathodes or anything else using too much power, you have AT LEAST 30 watts to play around with. The 360s psu produces quite a lot more power than it actually needs. So you can run all of your extra fans and leds from power sources on the 360 mobo. In short, you don't need to use a seperate power supply or worry about getting banned for any of the mods that you're attempting.

Thanks for the info. That certainly comforts me thats for sure. Looks like I will have a new baby which is modded soon (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Wish me luck!

Eddie_the_Hated

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2008, 09:16:00 AM »

I actually haven't ever heard of a box getting banned because of a cooling mod... ever.

Microsoft's pretty on-the-ball when it comes to banning boxes, but I doubt they'd cross over into speculative bannings. (IE, if you don't get any complaints sent about you, you'll be fine).

box_69

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2008, 12:19:00 PM »

i have over 20 leds in my box and an extra 12v fan inside with no ban after a year of running them i had never even heard of this until recently and i only keep hearing the one story so i think its made up (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

just my 2c

ACIDTRIP799

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2008, 12:44:00 PM »

You might also want to do the X-Clamp mod.... ive saved RRoD 360's using this before and if im not mistaken it prevents it from even happening most of the time (Correct me if im wrong). You might want to consider doing it ahead of time just incase. Llamma is selling kits with everything you need for a very cheap price or you could just hunt down the necasary parts at a hardware store if you dont want to buy it online.

gabe681

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2008, 05:00:00 PM »

QUOTE(ACIDTRIP799 @ Feb 5 2008, 01:28 PM) *

You might also want to do the X-Clamp mod.... ive saved RRoD 360's using this before and if im not mistaken it prevents it from even happening most of the time (Correct me if im wrong). You might want to consider doing it ahead of time just incase. Llamma is selling kits with everything you need for a very cheap price or you could just hunt down the necasary parts at a hardware store if you dont want to buy it online.

I am a fan of the X-Clamp mod myself, having done it several time for friends and myself.  But this is something you want to stay away from UNLESS you have a problem.